Home

Selling tanned fur?

Posted By: Griz Trapper

Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 01:49 PM

Are there any laws against doing this? I don't have to have a commercial fur buyer/sellers license or anything do I?
Thanks Griz
Posted By: k snow

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 02:18 PM

Not that I am aware of in WI. Just be sure what you are selling is legal to sell where you sell it. States have different laws.
Posted By: charles

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 02:39 PM

when would he be required to collect sales tax? No sales tax in Montana.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 05:07 PM

He wouldn’t be required to collect sales tax unless he went to another state to sell. Say he comes to Idaho to do a show where he sells tanned fur. He would need to charge 6% Idaho sales tax. Most states offer temporary permits for this purpose. You get the permit when you set up.

He might not need a fur buyers license or anything similar. But he might need a business license, if he is selling fur as a business. If he is selling a few pelts to friends, sort of as a hobby, then he most likely does not need a business license.

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 06:41 PM

Thanks Guys, that's kind of what I thought. This is just a hobby deal, is there any reg's on selling on the internet? No telling where it goes when you sell to someone one the "trap shed".
Thanks Griz
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 06:46 PM

Depends on what state you are shipping to. Each state has their own laws. Montana and Idaho are very easy going.

California not so much. No cougars. No bears. No wolves. No wolverines.

If you stick with common furbearers - Raccoon, coyote, beaver, Muskrat, mink - you should be ok. Otter and bobcat might be tricky in some states, even if they are tanned.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 07:27 PM

Yeah, be careful with CITES animal skins going across state lines. It SHOULDN'T matter once tanned, but it wouldn't be the first time someone was hassled legally for something perfectly legal.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 09:48 PM

Don't forget that AL Capone went to prison for Tax Evasion. LOL
Posted By: charles

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/05/19 11:08 PM

Put me on your mailing list. cepeele46@gmail.com

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/06/19 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Put me on your mailing list. cepeele46@gmail.com

Mailing list?

Re: Selling tanned fur? - 12/06/19 06:47 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. Gotta try it all in tough times...
Griz
© 2024 Trapperman Forums