Home

log splitter problem

Posted By: houndone

log splitter problem - 12/05/19 09:59 PM

I have a speeco 25 ton log splitter with 10.5 briggs. when you go to pull start it sometimes it kicks back meaning it pulls the pull rope out of your hand.have checked the keyway for the flywheel and the valves everything seems to be ok anybody have any idea what may be going on. the control valve lever is in neutral when this is happening.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: log splitter problem - 12/05/19 10:57 PM

Rattle your controller arm, it is engaging the pump.
When was the last time you changed your hydroligic filter there could be water in the line, or frost on the little control arm area
Posted By: BigBob

Re: log splitter problem - 12/05/19 11:04 PM

Some larger engines have a compression relief valve till it fires up, if your's has one, it might be stuck closed.

Re: log splitter problem - 12/06/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Rattle your controller arm, it is engaging the pump.
When was the last time you changed your hydroligic filter there could be water in the line, or frost on the little control arm area

change the filter every two years and the splitter is in my garage temps way above freezing
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: log splitter problem - 12/06/19 01:00 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: garymc

Re: log splitter problem - 12/06/19 03:46 PM

I agree with OhioBoy. I had the same thing happen with an 11.5 HP OHV Briggs engine on a Swisher pull behind mower. After adjustment pulled like a charm.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: log splitter problem - 12/06/19 03:54 PM

I have a log splitter problem as well. My left shoulder hurts. Some bio freeze and a Tylenol or 3 should fix mine though.

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I have a log splitter problem as well. My left shoulder hurts. Some bio freeze and a Tylenol or 3 should fix mine though.

lol
Posted By: Northof50

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 03:29 AM

Scuba1 if you split in the summer months the mosquitoes biting you is like Acupuncture needles and you wont need the drugs.

you will just need 3 quarts of blood transfusion to get back to speed.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 05:56 AM

I have an Armstrong splitter, 1964 model. It works for a half hour or so, then it runs out of gas, and won't usually restart until the next day. I service it each time I put it away with a cold beer and 2 ibuprofens.
Posted By: run

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 30/06
I have an Armstrong splitter, 1964 model. It works for a half hour or so, then it runs out of gas, and won't usually restart until the next day. I service it each time I put it away with a cold beer and 2 ibuprofens.

Good one, I like it.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 11:35 PM

I’d consider buying flywheel/ starter motor. That’s what we ended up doing with a 13.5 hp. Was a beast to pull.

My King Quad 700 has a pull starter for backup. You ain’t gonna pull that cord to many times.
Posted By: wwc

Re: log splitter problem - 12/07/19 11:59 PM

Scuba I would recommend a little Tennessee burbon halfway through the day to keep your log splitter oiled properly .lol

Re: log splitter problem - 01/05/20 08:49 PM

ended up putting a 15 hp briggs with electric start on it. I pulled the bottom off of the 10.5 and the compression release lever was intact . have talked to a couple other mechanics and there baffled as to why it does this.i was sure the compression lever was broke and or spring. but not the case.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: log splitter problem - 01/05/20 11:16 PM

Nothing beats a good Hydraulic splitter for large amounts. But sometimes you just have to crack a few, or in my case crack some in half out back just to pick them up. I have been using a Fiskars splitting maul for several years now. About $50.00, lifetime warrantee. I have never split wood by hand with anything better. All the young buck wood tics around here use them. That and a pickaroon save a lot of your back.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: log splitter problem - 01/05/20 11:24 PM

My kick-start log splitters moved out when they turned 18.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: log splitter problem - 01/06/20 01:48 AM

houndone,

here is a quick easy way to check the compression release.

remove the cover and air filter, then close off the air intake totally. I use a piece of rubber and a clamp to seal it off tight. Pull the starter rope and see if it pulls as it should. If it does you have a valve train problem. Either the CR is stuck/broke, a bent push rod, stuck valve, or bad out of adjustment valves.

If it still stops or yanks back it is a timing problem.

If your close enough I would be more than happy top take a look at it myself.
Posted By: Muskyman45

Re: log splitter problem - 01/06/20 02:15 AM

i have the same splitter and there is a lever under the splitter that you pull out to disengage the hydraulics, still likes to pull the rope out of hands if you aren't prepared.

Re: log splitter problem - 01/06/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Muskyman45
i have the same splitter and there is a lever under the splitter that you pull out to disengage the hydraulics, still likes to pull the rope out of hands if you aren't prepared.
where is the lever located my splitter is either a 2005 or 2006 model?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: log splitter problem - 01/06/20 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by wwc

Scuba I would recommend a little Tennessee burbon halfway through the day to keep your log splitter oiled properly .lol

Tried that but then i don't know which one of the two logs to hit. It gets mighty confusing after a couple of pints.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums