Home

Not sure what he wants me to do

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 02:57 AM

One of the neighbors came to me today and said he had a seen a coyote traveling through his cow field ( which is like 200yd from my front door) and wanted to know if I could so something. Well I said I'd be more than happy to set some traps. Well he says he didn't want me doing that because I might catch a cow. Showed him the smaller traps I had and explained how at worst with a 1.75 they would just pop off the trap and how all my traps where modified up the wazoo so if I caught someone's dog they would be fine. Still said he didn't want me to use traps. Well then I said I could just try and do a little calling a shoot him. Well said he didn't want me doing it during the day because I might disturb the local hunters. Well then I said I have a night vision rig and I could try at night. Then he said no because he was worried I'd shoot a cow. As y'all can guess he just said he'd figure it out and left.
Not sure what he expected me to do but it hasn't been the first time
Posted By: Savell

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 02:59 AM

Wolfdog... run him down and stick a lit blackcat firecracker up his ..

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Wolfdog... run him down and stick a lit blackcat firecracker up his ..

grin
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:01 AM

Snare ?

You should have stuck your hand in that 1.75 so he would understand
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:02 AM

The coyote or the neighbor?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:03 AM

It takes all kinds. That dude is of the special kind.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:12 AM

Give him a tin can with some gravel in it so he can shake it at the coyote to scare it off next time he sees it.

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Snare ?

Idk with the older folks around here I've just stopped trying . If they think they know how somthing works and your younger than them it's basically a waste of time trying to convince them other wise. You do the hand in the trap they think your crazy because you obviously just broke your hand because that's how traps are supposed to work.

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Snare ?

Idk with the older folks around here I've just stopped trying . If they think they know how somthing works and your younger than them it's basically a waste of time trying to convince them other wise. You do the hand in the trap they think your crazy because you obviously just broke your hand because that's how traps are supposed to work.

Here the libs all think these traps are designed to chop the entire leg off . Lol
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 03:36 AM

Go put a sign in his field saying "NO COYOTES ALLOWED",,tell him that should do it.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 04:32 AM

Sell him a road runner and let the bird do the deed ! BEEP BEEP LOL
Dennis
Posted By: Actor

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Snare ?

It isn't just the older folks … I am one of the older folks and I get the same thing from the younger folks, as well as the older folks. It is just that you are dealing with some know it all that doesn't have enough sense to pour pee out of a boot, when the instructions are written on the heel.

Good Luck … tell them to call Game and Fish.

Garry-
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 06:43 AM

Give him the name of an ADC trapper that charges $50 or more an hour and tell him to call him when the coyotes are eating his calves and not to even think of calling you.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 07:07 AM

You can't fix stupid.
Did he move to the area recently? Like maybe from the east or west coast?
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 12:03 PM

The first ranch I trapped on had the same rule. No traps where the cows were at. I was glad to oblige. Took a few days longer to catch them. A trapper had been there in the past and put a 220 on a coon trail. Caught a cow on the hind hoof. Can't imagine the trouble of getting that thing off. There are some valid reasons.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 12:43 PM

I could never figure out how to keep cows from messing up my sets so I don't make yote sets in a cow pasture. DPs I had some success with but not my yote sets.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 12:56 PM

Let him keep his own problems

You offered way more than most people would.

You care too much Wolfie ...thats not a bad thing but it'll eventually give you ulcers.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 05:00 PM

Have alot of LO's like that around here. Want me to trap them but have to wait till after deer hunting. Then they want me to wait till after blackpowder season, but oh-wait, my nephew wants to pheasant hunt so wait till after the first of the year. Well by that time we are butt deep in snow and I can't get out unless I use a snowmobile. The only problem with that is once you have a set of tracks, no matter if its posted or not, other sleds will follow and RIP up the area including your sets. I tell them to call me when they're serious.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 05:15 PM

It's easy. He wants you to set the trap in your yard ..... If that close to you r house lure him in.......
Posted By: Mac

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 05:51 PM

Simply be polite as all get out, and professional. Tell him you have invested time, and money to learn your craft. Tell him when he is serious to give you a call.
Mac
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Give him a tin can with some gravel in it so he can shake it at the coyote to scare it off next time he sees it.

laugh
Posted By: charles

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 08:24 PM

try a scarecrow

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by charles
try a scarecrow

Or a scare roadrunner
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 09:58 PM

sticking a gloved hand in a 1.75 really gets there attention they are sure your going to loose 3-4 fingers and if you can do it without flinching they start to listen.

just a plain knit or leather glove is good typically
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:01 PM

If he did not like any of your options, maybe you could tell him that the other hunters he does not want you to disturb could shoot the coyote(s) if and when they see them.

It does not sound like he is really too serious about removing the coyotes however.

Bryce

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:23 PM

Charge him and tell him the more restrictions he places on you the more it'll cost.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:44 PM

i had a co-worker who has land , he chooses not to hunt but complains about how it isn't safe to drive hardly the deer are so thick.

he could shoot all sorts of deer but he doesn't like to kill , but someone should do something about that excess of deer.

I offered to come up and shoot some , he said his wife would through a fit , deer hunters shoot your stock , dogs and buildings . when have you ever known me to be irresponsible ? seriously?
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:45 PM

Never a dull day in the day of a trapper!
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:46 PM

He just wanted someone to vent to. Buy him a cup of coffee and listen like dear Abby and he will be happy.

Re: Not sure what he wants me to do - 12/06/19 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
i had a co-worker who has land , he chooses not to hunt but complains about how it isn't safe to drive hardly the deer are so thick.

he could shoot all sorts of deer but he doesn't like to kill , but someone should do something about that excess of deer.

I offered to come up and shoot some , he said his wife would through a fit , deer hunters shoot your stock , dogs and buildings . when have you ever known me to be irresponsible ? seriously?

If you want to hunt the property talk to his wife.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums