Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 03:56 AM

Those were the days.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 04:01 AM

cool
Posted By: Boco

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 04:05 AM

Almost as good as the late 70's.
There were many booms and busts over that 350 years in the fur trade and it will continue to be so.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 04:11 AM

And the term fire sale...really did happen in London with the fur trade.......but the insurance paid for it....go figure.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
There were many booms and busts over that 350 years in the fur trade and it will continue to be so.

I don't know. I think it may be gone for good this time. Sure there will remain some small markets but as far as a general boom I really don't expect to see another in my lifetime.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 04:48 AM

How the mighty have fallen.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 05:09 AM

https://www.oah.org/tah/issues/2015/november/the-history-of-animal-protection-in-the-united-states/

It may be a long time before we have the next fur boom.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 10:09 AM

Nice little bit of info from years ago .Often overlooked fact . But the history of the North American continent goes hand in hand with the fur trade . There was big money to be made and it was the reason for people to explore the the vast areas of land that had fur to be caught
Posted By: Marty B

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 01:49 PM

The parallels from 400 years ago to today are surreal.

It's exactly the same. The only differences are the tools.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 02:22 PM

I think that may have been before fur farmers took over the market to help us out.

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 02:50 PM

You know the best year since the '87 crash (2013) would be just the run of the mill year during the about 10 year boom. Throw in some inflation consideration and it would not even compare.

Fur boom prices

Multiply the fur boom prices by about 2.5 to adjust prices for inflation.

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 03:23 PM

Could you imagine the Charlie Foxtrot nowdays, with the internet, and outdoor marketing machine if the market was at true boom levels?

It would be a weapons grade circus jerk.

You think the resident/non resident issue is polarizing now?

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 03:34 PM

If trapping was an occupation, States could not ban non-residents. They could still play games. If everybody had something of value to trap where they live, probably less likely to travel to places where one species has value.

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 05:43 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the troubles caused by the geniuses that seem to frequent the fur world.

One time I had a couple of meth heads pull up to me fur buying stop and try to sell me tanned mink they pulled off of grandmas fur coat.

The kind where they pinch the hide together to make a nose, and sew on a couple black plastic beads for eyes.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 05:55 PM

Synthetic fabrics including engineered insulation materials have replaced the demand for fur. The technology genie can never be put back in the bottle. I don't think the fur trade will ever come back.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 07:30 PM

Micro plastics from synthetic clothing now pollute our oceans and may lead to the extinction of vulnerable species of sea life adversely affected by them.

We really need to get the message out that wearing fur IS GREEN! They should be spitting on the folks with faux fur.

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 07:46 PM

Beaver was king back then and in the lower 48 it's once again king. Not for fashion but because low demand for it's fur has made it a nuisance.

What the fur industry needs is more rappers and professional athletes driving demand.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog

Beaver was king back then and in the lower 48 it's once again king. Not for fashion but because low demand for it's fur has made it a nuisance.

What the fur industry needs is more rappers and professional athletes driving demand.

Yup
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I think that may have been before fur farmers took over the market to help us out.

Always been my belief.

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Micro plastics from synthetic clothing now pollute our oceans and may lead to the extinction of vulnerable species of sea life adversely affected by them.

We really need to get the message out that wearing fur IS GREEN! They should be spitting on the folks with faux fur.

Much.better idea than mine.
Posted By: Boco

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 10:38 PM

The fur trade is the same as it always was,just in another slump.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/07/19 11:03 PM

I like to think that as well Boco. But these modern times are.... disappointing?

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/08/19 12:00 AM

The fur trade is the same as it always was,just in another slump.

That's what's so surprising about its history.

The courier de bois roamed the country trying to intercept the fur before it got to Hudson's Bay, or Montreal.

Now days the country buyers burn up the highways trying to intercept the fur before it can go to Hudson's Bay/Former Nafa/FHA.

The road goes on forever, and the party never ends.
Posted By: furgotten

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/08/19 12:04 AM

beaver of this day choke to death on plastic bottle caps and most all of us trappers wear clothes that are derivatives of oil . none the less great post of times gone by .
Posted By: drasselt

Re: The Fur Trade 350 years ago. - 12/08/19 02:44 AM

Some seem to forget that the fur trade is world wide and that there is a huge spectrum of cultural acceptance of fur.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums