Home

Coyote, how long to leave on board ?

Posted By: kyron4

Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 04:42 AM

I'm out of boards and have one fleshed and ready to go on a board. The oldest one on a board has been on ,fur side out, for 3 days at 55*-57* . Feels crinkly but ears and nose are still pliable. Can I take it off and hang it to finish dry without any ill effects ? How many days do you usually leave yotes boarded ? -Thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 05:37 AM

Should be dry by now after 3 days fur out.
If not I would be worried about spoilage where it is not drying.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 12:22 PM

I like to leave my red fox on the boards until I run out of boards. Sometimes when the catch rate is high that means taking them off a little early.

I guess it depends on how damp it was when you flipped it. I don't flip them until they are pretty dry, until it is starting to get difficult to stuff the head down inside. Even then I will usually rub a little borax under the arms and around the ears. Treated that way they should be ready to come off the board in a day or two.

I pin the ears flat and like them to stay that way. One drawback to taking them off early is that, as you mentioned, the ears are still pliable, they start to stand up when put on the hangers. That really bugs me. So I'll pin them down on the hangers, pin the ears right through the face leather until they are dry enough to stay that way or until I run out of pins.

Coyotes have thicker leather, but as long as it was dry enough when you flipped it, it should be okay to remove from the board. Except them ears are gonna stand up!.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 01:44 PM

I use borax, clean skin, hang in front of a fan for about an hour, put on wooden stretcher fur side out for two days, then take pins off and loosen skin from board, and leave it about an inch up from being tight on stretcher, one-2 more days in front of the fan, then done
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 02:11 PM

I put a fan on them after they are turn. But do put borax like stated under the ears and arm pits to help to dry there. Put a fan on them when flesh side out to help to dry faster and then after turn keep the fan on them.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 03:46 PM

Fur Drying
The recommended condition for drying pelts is 50-60F with good air circulation, but not directly on the pelts.
When the bodies of fur out species are dry, usually within 24 hours, turn them fur out even if the head area lips and ear butts may be damp. They will generally dry with little if any serious warping as long as you have reasonable drying conditions of low humidity and temperature.
Leave fur out pelts on the board 3-4 days after turning pelt fur out. Taking a hide off the board too soon is worse than leaving it on too long. It will wrinkle and you get excessive shrinkage, thus losing money on size. Time to turn a fur out pelt depends upon the humidity, temperature and air circulation in your shop. Generally, when the nose and lips are dry it's safe to remove the pelt from the board.
To facilitate drying split the front legs of wolf, coyote, fox, and lynx up to the elbow. Then use either a squirrel or marten board, which ever is appropriate, to tack them open to dry. For fisher and marten use a thick cardboard to tack them out on.

A little borax can be applied to the armpits and ear butts if not quite dry when turning.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by kyron4
I'm out of boards and have one fleshed and ready to go on a board. The oldest one on a board has been on ,fur side out, for 3 days at 55*-57* . Feels crinkly but ears and nose are still pliable. Can I take it off and hang it to finish dry without any ill effects ? How many days do you usually leave yotes boarded ? -Thanks

I take a coyote off after 3 days. Shove a wedge In to the mouth and one In from the belly side. You may have to push pin the wedge In the belly side to keep It In place. Then re hang and you will be good to go.

By getting that coyote off the board you open up that head and mouth area and It will dry better off the board. On the board that area gets no air movement.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 04:43 PM

Borax is the trick for heads and tails
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
To facilitate drying split the front legs of wolf, coyote, fox, and lynx up to the elbow. Then use either a squirrel or marten board, which ever is appropriate, to tack them open to dry. For fisher and marten use a thick cardboard to tack them out on.

I cut the front legs off at the elbow and stick a bit of rolled up newspaper in them to keep them sticking up so they don't lay down and have flesh on flesh.

Still use a bit of borax on them as that seems to be the last area to dry.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/07/19 09:49 PM

Put borax around the mouth opening and then shake it out be fine
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/08/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by coydog2
I put a fan on them after they are turn. But do put borax like stated under the ears and arm pits to help to dry there. Put a fan on them when flesh side out to help to dry faster and then after turn keep the fan on them.

I cut front leg skin short enough there's not much of an arm pit
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/08/19 06:16 PM

Funny, I just watched Leon Windschitl's "Top Lot Coyote Handling" DVD and I forgot what he was recommending or going by as far as when you remove the coyote - but I I do know he had a set abmount of time with the fur in, as I think he mentioned something about how maybe the hide could get too tough, and make it more difficult to turn, to have the fur then out ??

You'll have to forgive me - I've never done one, but again the video I saw had some strong opinions which made sense to me, so I guess I'm watching it again tonight once I'm back home.

I do seem to think once he put it back on the board fur out, there was really no set time with removal.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/08/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big George W
Funny, I just watched Leon Windschitl's "Top Lot Coyote Handling" DVD and I forgot what he was recommending or going by as far as when you remove the coyote - but I I do know he had a set abmount of time with the fur in, as I think he mentioned something about how maybe the hide could get too tough, and make it more difficult to turn, to have the fur then out ??
When the bodies of fur out species are dry (tacky), usually within 24 hours, turn them fur out even if the head area lips, ear butts and leg pits may be damp. A little borax may be applied to the damp ares if not quite dry when turning, but generally is not required.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/08/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big George W
Funny, I just watched Leon Windschitl's "Top Lot Coyote Handling" DVD and I forgot what he was recommending or going by as far as when you remove the coyote.

I do seem to think once he put it back on the board fur out, there was really no set time with removal.

12 hours fur in...no more than 3 days, fur out. That would be in whatever HIS drying conditions are.
Posted By: redhillstrapper

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/09/19 03:00 AM

I built an air box (got the idea from Monstertom) I go leather out in the box for an hour then flip and hang on an air wall. Dry in 36 hours with 50 degree temps and 40-50% humidity.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/09/19 03:17 AM

What is an air box?
Thanks
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote, how long to leave on board ? - 12/09/19 03:36 AM

More or less a closet with high volume air movement. Mine has a 12x24 squirrel cage feeding air to it.
Room temp 60 degrees, average humidity less than 15%. Fur in coyotes 1-3 hours, flip fur out 2 days and done.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums