Home

Help deciding on new rig!

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 05:14 PM

As some know, I totaled my farmers' market/trapping rig last week. I'm looking at two possible deals right now. Both from dealerships because I won't be able to swing a cash deal right now. There is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with 105,000 miles for $19,000 (seems overpriced but not seeing them of that vintage under 300,000 miles) or a 2019 Nissan Frontier with 11,000 miles for $22,000. Both look nice and 4X4.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 05:27 PM

That price on the Tacoma is way ,way out of range.
KBB shows a 03 Tacoma with all the bells and whistles and real low miles , at best , 12k

I have no idea where the 19k figure for that truck came from.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 05:36 PM

The 19k price came from the Logo lol. I have found in the PNW Toyotas are so ridiculously overpriced it is scary. I have seen 4 runners rolled over and totaled on facebook for 4k. the thing is folks buy them. so if they bu them then that is what they are worth. I have a friend in Washington that goes to Texas and southern states and buys Toyotas and brings them to Washington just to sell. This is his job and he makes a good amount of money doing it.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 05:39 PM

105000 vs 11000 sixteen yr old vs one for three thousand $ difference seams like a no brainer to me.
I bought a Nisan king cab (ancestor to the Frontier) put a hundred and forty thousand miles on it without any major issues
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 05:57 PM

If you are borrowing money to buy, I doubt any bank would loan you more than blue book for the Toyota. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of how Nissan's hold up. Alot of help, eh. crazy

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 06:29 PM

I think dealerships find/arrange their own financing but I'm pretty hesitant to commit to that high a price.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 06:36 PM

Been looking at any mid sized truck and you will find they all are over priced and about the same as a full sized truck with no better mileage. Seems the only advantage is garage space. Can't justify spending big bucks on a new rig myself but it looks like that's the price range one has to deal with. About the only good thing is they hold their value if vhf you plan on trading in it in at a later date. But if your like me, you keep them forever and run them into the ground so that's of no advantage for me.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 06:38 PM

i'm gonna get a used taco but they are awful proud of em at times.
Posted By: run

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 08:41 PM

I like Nissan. We got an old Pathfinder that we bomb around.

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 08:41 PM

no way,i know a guy.......... grin
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 08:48 PM

Those Toyota’s are like gold down here! My son came in and said, his buddy just locked up the engine in his Toyota. I called him right then and it was already sold! They do last and hold their value.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/10/19 11:09 PM

Tacoma have the highest resale value out of any vehicle made-period!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 04:46 AM

I'd grab the new Nissan hands down.
You'd be crazy to buy a 16 year old vehicle for near the same price as new.
Posted By: Trapper155

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 06:01 AM

Not sure if it’s still there but earlier this week there was a 02 crew cab Tacoma with 128,000 for 5,800 on the Medford CL.
Posted By: Trapper155

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 06:08 AM

I’m not going to try and sway you one way or another as I’ve had 2 nissans and 6 Toyota’s for trapping rigs and they all got me around the woods, but make sure to keep in mind how many miles each vehicles typical life span is and also the depreciation. Toyota’s sell for over bluebook value, they hold there value incredibly well and the only people that think there over priced have never had one. Also there is an 03 Tacoma at a dealership in Eugene right now with 106,000 for 13,999 that looks really clean. I almost went with it when I was searching
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 10:47 AM

Has the Tacoma been reframed yet? I'm a Tacoma guy and will always have one, all of my hunting and trapping buddies have them ,nothing beats them. That might not be the right one your looking at, but shop around there are better deals.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 11:46 AM

Look at carmax, they have truck all over the country.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 12:01 PM

Get another minivan unless you really need a 4x4. Everything you can do in a crew cab you can do in a minivan and be more comfortable. wink
Posted By: run

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog

Get another minivan unless you really need a 4x4. Everything you can do in a crew cab you can do in a minivan and be more comfortable. wink

That's good advice 👍. You can keep your stuff dry @ the same time.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 12:11 PM

To the best of my knowledge, explained to me years ago by the credit union I used to belong to, all lending institutions that provide auto loans use the NADA book as the guide.
You can go to NADAGuides.com and follow the steps to find dealer pricing on just about any vehicle.

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 12:27 PM

till the coon warm up a little and farts start sneakin out.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

till the coon warm up a little and farts start sneakin out.
I had a big boar coon wake up inside a Ramcharger going down the road once. That is a rude awakening for sure.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 04:51 PM

My wife has a mini van.......I hate mini vans.
Posted By: HondaXR250

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 04:55 PM

I had a 1998 nissan frontier 4x4 5 speed. Best truck ive ever had. I ended up trading it for a dodge avenger for the wife because she needed a interstate car for her new job. Worst mistake of my life. The car was complete junk and had to sell it. I miss my truck badly. You wont go wrong with Nissan.

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 05:06 PM

I checked out that Tacoma in Medford but it is a salvaged title with what the owner says are symptoms of a head gasket leak.

My wife is nudging me hard towards the new Nissan because she hates riding shotgun in old worn out vehicles. LOL

The main thing I don't like about it is the 5 1/2 ft bed.

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
I bought a new 2018 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 last year. So much easier to get in and out of and reach stored stuff than the F150 I traded. I think you will like the Nissan. Should have some warranty left too with the miles you stated.

Yes, they are stating I'll get 100,000 miles worth.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 06:05 PM

unless I needed 4x4 or and open bed , I would get a van especially since it is your money maker on market day.

mini vs full size price difference is minimal and the full lets you haul more cargo and pull a trailer. you pay some in gas but also can last longer also got 17 years out of my van

the truck was nice for hauling firewood when I had and open bed but when I got rid of my van I needed the dry storage for tools and such and put a topper on the truck now it is as a 2wd truck a less convenient to access smaller cargo space un heated un-air conditioned cargo area van.

I am back to hauling wood on my 14 foot utility trailer.

i got a good deal on the truck from my brother but if I was looking as uncool as a van is to most people it is so practical for what your doing with market.

a friend got a cube van E350 chassis with a box and overhead door in the back , that he takes to market now like a small u-haul down side is cargo area is still not heated or a/c but can you stack the totes in there
Posted By: montana17

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 07:39 PM

Get the Frontier, I have a 2010 Frontier SE Crew cab, Tough little truck, It will go anywhere I want to go!

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 11:08 PM

Well, I guess Boco don't need to question my sexual orientation no more. Bought the Frontier. Guess I'll have to pitch a tent on extended outings now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 11:13 PM

Yes, way outta range on the Tacoma. I just bought an 08 Tacoma with 120 kmiles for 5,500$. I'd definitely be shopping around before I pulled the trigger. Good luck

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/11/19 11:47 PM

Way to Man up there BP.lol.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/12/19 12:00 AM

when you buy a topper for it make sure to get side windows that open up it makes getting stuff out much easier and so much more of your cargo space can be used

my mom talked my dad out of the side windows on his new topper , she thought screens would be better , she is to short to ever get anything out of the side any way to understand why paying extra for side windows that open.

had one on my 99 f150 on the drivers side , regretted not spending the cash and getting 2 side opening windows

my current topper I have less than 50 dollars in so I live with the lack of opening windows for easy access
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/13/19 03:12 AM

Congrats on the new truck
But your not going to look so so incognito when you pull your boat down to the river when your trapping

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/13/19 03:37 AM

Show us apic of your new vehicle BP.
small beds can be a pain,but your welder can whip up a good bed extender for you that are real handy, [Linked Image]
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Help deciding on new rig! - 12/13/19 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ditchdiver
My wife has a mini van.......I hate mini vans.

Ditto
© 2024 Trapperman Forums