Home

dead coons in barn and yard?

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:03 PM

My farmer friend asked me today , any ideas on 3 dead coon in a week found in barn and yard , no wounds , not sickly looking according to him so I suppose he means not under weight ribs showing ,no mucus from nose and eyes .

just laying in the open dead come morning , he didn't see any of the 3 die or while alive just came out to dead ones in the morning 3 days this last week.

my thoughts were Parvo or Distemper they could be fat enough this time of year that they could die before they looked "sickly".

what are your thoughts?

what to look for ?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:09 PM

Poison. By now distemper has usually already killed what it's going to kill. Fly bait will likely show blue coloration of stomach contents.

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:24 PM

it is him and his family , next farm is 1/2 mile or more in any direction , it would have to be a slow acting poison to let them travel 1/2 mile then expire. fry bait is typically less than a 100 feet of travel from the ones I have seen.

anti freeze maybe? that takes many hours and Urine fluoresces under a black light.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:29 PM

Rat poison or insecticide
Posted By: run

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:29 PM

Rat bait.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:33 PM

Yea some poison in the barn. If they were drinking anti freeze and it took hours to work what are the chances they left the den in the same direction. Probably one of his kids saw it on you-tube and wanted to try it. Probly set it out behind the barn were old man wouldn't fine it.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:35 PM

I don't know where they were found but a good country prank when i was a kid was to "badger" folks which started as dead badgers in their yard or on their porch and then just randomly putting deads in their yard. The kids that were doing it at the time thought it was pretty funny anyways until they got caught.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:45 PM

A neighbor killed a small coon last weekend in the road ditch next to his house in the forenoon. The coon was unstable and not able to move well at all. I did not ask about mucus or other issues.

Bryce
Posted By: wzroberts

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 06:49 PM

Could be anything, but my first thought agreed with most everyone else. Poison. I think that if it were something else, it's more likely that your neighbor would have come across one in a sickly state. The sick ones are that much more likely to be out during the day.

Hope you all are able to find the cause and remove it.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 07:19 PM

Seeing some of that here. Very low coon numbers. Figured they had dirt on the Clintons. Mike

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 08:16 PM

I highly doubt the girls would do anything with poison , I was thinking maybe a tractor leaking coolant if it is anything on their farm causing it . I already asked if his old man would have used any poison but his dad is 80 and getting more and more hands off on the farm every day.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 08:45 PM

I would also go with some kind of poison.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 09:02 PM

Found that years back Coons all over dead distemper was my guess catch was way off everything from bones to dried up hides and fresher ones.

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 10:03 PM

I checked with him no poison that he or any of his put out.

they try and avoid any poison , pesticide or herbicide at all as they are all organic , so they can get a premium for their meat.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 10:25 PM

Antifreeze?
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 10:27 PM

My first thought too was "Fly Bait" but now ....distemper.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/10/19 11:02 PM

distemper would be my guess
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/11/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
distemper would be my guess

Mine too
Posted By: walleye101

Re: dead coons in barn and yard? - 12/11/19 01:32 AM

distemper.....or the Clintons.
Posted By: Boco