Home

Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA

Posted By: conibearguy

Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:17 PM

Well the predictions (at least in Nebraska) have been correct about Groeny taking advantage of no competition. While I know the market is in the sh*tter on fur, I could believe the low prices. $2 tops on great carcass coon and $1.50 tops on carcass muskrats. Maybe that is good for your guys' areas but thankfully I have done some calling and found local buyers that are paying more. I am sure I am going to get roasted for not skinning my critters but being a teacher and a high school basketball coach, you hardly even have time to run a trapline let alone skin.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:19 PM

Lets hope that GFW can hold up to their reputation.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:33 PM

You did the right thing keeping and selling for more money st if you had someone else.

As for trashing Groeny , childish IMO.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:40 PM

That's not trashing that's telling It like It Is. He told us what he was offered for his fur.
Posted By: Nodak63

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:46 PM

Up here in in NE ND my brother and his son sold 13 carcass coon. Few smaller but a few big boars. Got $47. That’s a little better but not much.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 06:55 PM

Well, add the cost of processing to that now. It isn't cheap. Id say he paid for the convenience.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
That's not trashing that's telling It like It Is. He told us what he was offered for his fur.

The title is trashing to me.
Posted By: trap-alaska

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 07:21 PM

I'm not a Groeny lover (never sold to them) or a NAFA hater (sad they went under) but it would make sense that less competition for the fur will lead to lower prices, simple economics. The OP did the right thing when he wasn't happy with the offer, he went out and found a better one.

Lots of turmoil in the fur markets right now and a lot of people will be unhappy, producers (trappers) and consumers (buyers) alike.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by trap-alaska
I'm not a Groeny lover (never sold to them) or a NAFA hater (sad they went under) but it would make sense that less competition for the fur will lead to lower prices, simple economics. The OP did the right thing when he wasn't happy with the offer, he went out and found a better one.

Lots of turmoil in the fur markets right now and a lot of people will be unhappy, producers (trappers) and consumers (buyers) alike.

To me it sounds like a decent offer for carcass fur but if you have someone else willing to pay more take it and hopefully they don’t take a beating from doing so
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 07:35 PM

Buying carcass goods is a gamble no matter what the market is or who the buyer is.

If folks don’t like the carcass price, perhaps they should put the fur up and then offer it for sale.
Posted By: brymoore

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:09 PM

Demand hasn’t changed with NAFA’s demise. The only variance to the market is the furs it held for price from sale. The buyers will move to different auctions or markets to buy fur. Prices will stabilize once the auctions (including NAFA’d final wild fur sale) are done this spring.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:15 PM

Capitalism works well, and many times not in the way we would like to see it. In a low market put up fur obviously has advantages for the seller and also the buyer. When one thinks about however during a very low market the time spent putting up fur is worth much less per hour even if the percentage increase sounds very high. I am feeling that very low prices are indicating a full market already for some species even with a very, very low harvest. The cost of shipping and waiting is way, way down when the market is this low.

Bryce
Posted By: MJM

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by brymoore
Demand hasn’t changed with NAFA’s demise. The only variance to the market is the furs it held for price from sale. The buyers will move to different auctions or markets to buy fur. Prices will stabilize once the auctions (including NAFA’d final wild fur sale) are done this spring.

They are stabilized now. Just real low, its been that way for a few years now.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:35 PM

This just is not a good time to be a trapper. IMO

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:37 PM

Amen GT
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:40 PM

when your offering fur face to face and you think the price is low just say no. gather up your fur and go home. why does everyone always act like they were forced to accept an offer?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:42 PM

sooner rather than later i'm afraid ya'll gonna run outta people to blame.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
when your offering fur face to face and you think the price is low just no. gather up your fur and go home. why does everyone always act like they were forced to accept an offer?

I guess you can only re-freeze carcus fur so many times.....or none, I don't know, never tried it.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:48 PM

thats why stretchers and fleshing knives got invented a few thousand years ago. quit being lazy

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:56 PM

thats why stretchers and fleshing knives got invented a few thousand years ago. quit being lazy

Can you read or do you choose not to? It's not a lazy thing. It's a time factor thing.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 08:58 PM

when your offering fur face to face and you think the price is low just say no. gather up your fur and go home. why does everyone always act like they were forced to accept an offer?

Also like mentioned about I have other buyers and for this reason I did NOT sell.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
sooner rather than later i'm afraid ya'll gonna run outta people to blame.

Great point!!

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:04 PM

Let me restate some points. I know the fur market is completely in the trash right now. Just what I heard from some of these buyers at the three state conventions this fall, I expected a little better. Not a LOT better, just a little. Again I do not have time. Between teaching, coaching (it takes up weekends too), and a side business there just is hardly enough hours in the day sometime to let alone run a trapline. And before anyone says it, I am not going to quit trapping.
Just was starting a conversation to see if anyone else experienced anything similar with groenewold.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

The title is trashing to me.

I agree
Posted By: Boco

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:13 PM

Not any different than numerous NAFA threads.
Never heard any whining about that.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:22 PM

If I was Groney I'd do the same thing, as soon as NAFA was done the coon market dropped 2 to 4 bucks. Will be interesting to see FHA auction results.
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:23 PM

It seems like the bigger the operation gets like Groenewold, Petska the greedier they are.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:29 PM

I would like to offer my opinion.
Like something else everyone has one!
Let the shooting begin. I’m going out for a steak dinner.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:30 PM

So If you don't think Groney Is taking advantage of the no NAFA venue then you were born at night and It was last night. Why do you think he's buying fur In Canada. And expanding his routes In the lower 48.
Of coarse he's taking advantage of the situation why wouldn't he or for that matter any fur buyer would be all over It.
If you look at the practical side of things In most cases groney Is the only game In town. I can hear the talking heads right know. Well you can ship to FHA or drive 100 miles to sell some where else or ship fur to a western sale. My point Is that's not very practical with this low market.

I'm glad I have other small market venues for everything other then my coyotes.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:34 PM

We need some carpetbagging travelling Russian furbuyers doing the rounds,cut out the middlemen.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by conibearguy
Well the predictions (at least in Nebraska) have been correct about Groeny taking advantage of no competition. While I know the market is in the sh*tter on fur, I could believe the low prices. $2 tops on great carcass coon and $1.50 tops on carcass muskrats. Maybe that is good for your guys' areas but thankfully I have done some calling and found local buyers that are paying more. I am sure I am going to get roasted for not skinning my critters but being a teacher and a high school basketball coach, you hardly even have time to run a trapline let alone skin.

Try freezing them whole and skin when you can. Don't you get a Christmas break? I had a job were I was on 12 hour shifts 5 days a week and sometimes 7 days during trapping season. But I still trapped and skinned. Had to cut back on number of sets. trapped small farms one at a time. I married a teacher so I know how long your day is plus practice after and then games.
Heck Walmart says low prices every day but milk is cheaper at Kroger.. I'm going were I get the best prices buying or selling of anything. Not going to whine.

Plus the local guy may be skinning himself to add to his profit. Oh yea how much more did you get from someone else

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:36 PM

Some of my best fur years production wise was when I was working full time.It is all about managing your time effectively.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
We need some carpetbagging travelling Russian furbuyers doing the rounds,cut out the middlemen.

How about some carpetbagging Canadians? LOL

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:41 PM

Nah,Beav,we're just middlemen anymore too,its the Russians that are the end users of fur.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:47 PM

My two cents. From what i have heard from friends and on here carcass animals are selling short everywhere. In my own market for example i have quite a few options to sell hides just not carcass unless its a coyote. Local buyers are not accepting carcass animals. I think colt furs route runners are taking carcass animals and they are partnered with groeny. Havent heard about their prices yet but i will find out. Main thing is the market is sketchy. In the buying and selling industry the risk comes in the product that takes more capital and manpower investment. If buying dried the risk is somewhat miniscule. On the carcass you need to skin flesh dispose of carcass and board and dry. All taking expense and increasing risk. I know we all have heard this and know this. Is it taking advantage to limit risk and lowball something you need to invest a bunch in and are possibly unsure of the outcome. That is where public opinion comes in. Groeny has been fairly open about the whole process. I have watched a few of his facebook videos and his interviews and his messages on here. He is filling a gap left by NAFA which is accepting product. He however is not an auction house and it is not known what his end market pricing or customers is. That is one thing folks may not like.

I will likely send my furs except coyotes to auction at FHA this year because they are seemingly pretty hard to get rid of in general. Meeting a buyer tonight to have them look at some of my putup furs but they are less than interested in them really. I think it is just the situation we are in. I am not going to go all out and go to several different folks and peddle my goods as there are not enough of them to pay the gas for more than one or two trips. Others may be in a different situation altogether and those folks warrant a different opinion i suppose.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:50 PM

I handle my fur
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 09:58 PM

It's always a good time to be a trapper. It sets us apart form others in many positive ways I think. I hate the low markets for the folks that depend on hard work and fur for much of their income. Critters still need to be managed. Damage needs to be controlled, fun needs to be had, lessons learned, tradition passed on, friends to be made and time outdoors to be had.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:02 PM

and if ya'll think Growny is the only one trying to take advantage of this i'm sellin bridges at below cost.
Posted By: c hartman

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:02 PM

Nothing wrong with selling in the round or green if that is what one wants to do . Don't have to be working long hrs either . Now I don't as I love putting up fur as much or more than running the line but that doesn't mean everyone has to be like myself .

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
It's always a good time to be a trapper. It sets us apart form others in many positive ways I think. I hate the low markets for the folks that depend on hard work and fur for much of their income. Critters still need to be managed. Damage needs to be controlled, fun needs to be had, lessons learned, tradition passed on, friends to be made and time outdoors to be had.

X2 Trapping is about getting out in the field.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:19 PM

Groeney doesn't want carcass coon. Period. Takes up space and increases weight of the rat wagon costing more $$ to go X number of miles plus another step in the put up process.

Coach, get yourself another freezer or two and rig up a skinner so you can peel those coon quickly. Been there with the time squeeze myself for many years. Got to figure out a system to sell skinned coon.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
This just is not a good time to be a trapper. IMO

It's never not a good time to be a trapper!!!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:31 PM

At those prices you all would be doing the market a favor if you hung up your traps this season, rather than flood a already flooded market.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
At those prices you all would be doing the market a favor if you hung up your traps this season, rather than flood a already flooded market.

you first
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:34 PM

Go GFW! https://youtu.be/kOVSFp5LinU

As for NAFA!? Better get outta the way now!
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:34 PM

I the time it took to log on and etc 1 coon up next.... 2 coon up..... next 3.... priorities and maybe a smidge less sleep I used to put in 20 hr days on the line... 4 coon up
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:35 PM

Yes Losing NAFA killed the coon market imo.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

you first

I did. Quit buying fur too.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I handle my fur

Hope you do it in private . You will get arrested if people see you !!!!

eek

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
If I was Groney I'd do the same thing, as soon as NAFA was done the coon market dropped 2 to 4 bucks. Will be interesting to see FHA auction results.

I wouldn’t sell my coon to you Rat and you ain’t Groeny grin

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:40 PM

you first[/quote]
I did. Quit buying fur too.[/quote]
quitter- laugh

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:44 PM

I buy valuable antler instead. wink
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:47 PM

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm on Furbuyerman.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:47 PM

the furbuyer i worked 20 plus yrs for retired and makes dang good money making and selling antler pipes.

i get mine the ol fashioned way. [Linked Image]

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:50 PM

Nice... mine is mammoth ivory
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Sometimes I get the feeling I'm on Furbuyerman.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: cattails

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:06 PM

In any seasonal business …..when it's go time … you use your resources available to be as profitable and productive as possible. I can only imagine the energy and dollars its taking for GFW to step up there game. My guess is ….the last thing they have time for is carcass fur.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:07 PM

It is more cost effective,now, to buy graded lots of fur from the auction house than it is trying to put together a large enough lot of similar skins by trapping.
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:26 PM

went to a fur auction last weekend in upstate ny very little there but what was there all put up would say coon avg around 9.00 coyote had to be 30 or better greys around 22.00 avg . this coming weekend pompey auction lots of green fur there hope the trappers do well. I will be there buying skunk and other fur

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:32 PM

So Nyrat,your going to swoop in and take advantage of Nafas demise,LOL,Just kidding,I hope you do well,and dont overpay that walleyes character.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:36 PM

jingle bells,walleyed's swelled,boco's boss is gay

oh what fun it is to cry,while givin fur away-eh.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:41 PM

bob and I are good friends he also has great put up fur and gets payed well for it.,no swooping here in nys still to many buyers show up at these auction and push the prices up which is great for the trappers .I am just a craft buyer maybe buy 50 to 100 pelts a year

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:43 PM

saw rats go double market value up there,and that was 2 brothers. grin

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:45 PM

Now you guys are really buttering him up.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:48 PM

I hear a lot of comments that a lot of you guys have limited options to sell your fur.

Serious question; don't your state trapper's associations sponsor fur auctions?

Here in Pennsylvania there are twelve districts statewide that make up the Pennsylvania Trapper's Association. At least eight of those districts have a fur sale once a year.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:50 PM

I am building spec homes this winter......why trap wor free

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:51 PM

theres more spite and attitude at some of those auctions in ny and pa than you could ever imagine.it can be funny when you know some of the stories behind the scenes.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:53 PM

no state auction here just country auctions and the 2 bothers pcr2 talks about is right .if there are going to be at a auction know the prices going to be good
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/11/19 11:56 PM

What about the other states where these guys are complaining that Groeny is their only option? Not enough country buyers in the state for their trapper's association to get an auction going?
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:01 AM

We asked Groenwold if they’d be interested in driving through Kentucky with a few stops and they did not offer to pay, or bid, on the spot. They wanted us to just load it on the truck and they’d grade later. We were not interested in that though. Is that the deal any of you other new routes were offered?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:04 AM

omg u did it now!!!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:22 AM

A man of many talents!!
Posted By: scootermac

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:28 AM

They are saving their money for Canadian fur. laugh
Posted By: AJE

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Serious question; don't your state trapper's associations sponsor fur auctions?

No such thing in Wi. And not enough local buyers for most peoples liking.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 12:59 AM

There are a couple auctions but seems it is a waste of time with this market. Either no fur or no buyers. I really used to enjoy going to the auction, seeing what others have caught and how it is put up. Come to think of it, I don't know many trappers around me that put fur up anymore.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Come to think of it, I don't know many trappers around me that put fur up anymore.
How are they selling it, locally I assume? Groeny doesn't like buying carcass animals in many instances, due mainly to lack of available space on the truck.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by M.S. Pickins
It seems like the bigger the operation gets like Groenewold, Petska the greedier they are.

It's not greed. It's capitalism. Don't like it. Start your own company and compete with him. He's taking advantage while he can and that's smart. Anyone can do it if they want. It's what makes America great.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:09 AM

GFW does have agents that buy fur at some of the state auctions.These agents usually work under GFW's route pick up buyers. Or If they do not, some of the fur bought at the local auctions will end end up at GFW in the long run.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:28 AM

Well pcr2,

I may be fat, But you are butt ugly, and I could diet if I wanted to !!!

Your ugly is permanent and goes clean to the bone !!! laugh

w
Posted By: Backbreaker

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:53 AM

Where will Groenewold sell their fur? They aren't buying your fur so you can have meat for your table. They're buying your fur so they can have meat for their table. Old concept. There is no demand and there's not gonna be. Keep it as a hobby. Skin and flesh if you like, it doesn't matter. What can the best professionals in the best regions NET from their fur in a season. There's money to be made in products but that's all. Someone explain it to me because I trapped in the 1970s. Fur has been in a bear market ever since. Gas was $0.45/ gallon back then too.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 01:58 AM

I get mine the ol fashioned way.

Me too. It's kinda hard on the front of the car, but it's fun.

Mike
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:12 AM

If a McD employee is worth $15/hr, what's a fur skinner worth per hr?
I caught a 30# problem beaver and figure I made money by leaving it on the river bank for the coyotes.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:54 AM

What an employee gets paid per hour etc. is not so much of what they can do our how capable they may be but what outcome or dollars can they turn over in an hour or a shift. If a McD employee makes $75 dollars in a 5 hour shift and the store brings in $1,500 in sales or more, compare that to a good coon fur handler putting up 20 coons per hour at $2.50 per pelt, which is $30 per hour or $150 cost in a 5 hour shift. Let us say that the 100 coons have increased in value from $5 to $9 or they are now worth $900 and cost the buyer $500. With a $250 cost to gain the $400 the owner nets $150. Sure the McD franchise owner does not net $1500 but it is probably more than $250.

Bryce
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by scootermac
They are saving their money for Canadian fur. laugh

Scooter get it right;
they are paying Canadians in USD$
and south of us when they cash their cheques it comes out as Canadian dollar being converted...don't let the cat out of the bag.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
when your offering fur face to face and you think the price is low just no. gather up your fur and go home. why does everyone always act like they were forced to accept an offer?

I guess you can only re-freeze carcus fur so many times.....or none, I don't know, never tried it.

or you could skin and freeze. I understand people ay they dont have time but if they dont change their ways and put in the time most are stuck with one buyer. hes lucky he found a different buyer but for most its either sell no matter price, or take home and skin and possibly put up. I skin all my critters but last couple years sell most everything except rats green.

you could look at this2 ways. 1- GFW is using the fall of nafa to take advantage of trappers and make a killing, or 2- a major auction house just fell and the market has not been great in a while, so they are being cautious so they dont go under also. just because one house went under does not mean the prices are all going to go up because lack of furs. those furs will still be available just from one less outlet
Posted By: k snow

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by trapper20

you could look at this2 ways. 1- GFW is using the fall of nafa to take advantage of trappers and make a killing, or 2- a major auction house just fell and the market has not been great in a while, so they are being cautious so they dont go under also. just because one house went under does not mean the prices are all going to go up because lack of furs. those furs will still be available just from one less outlet

I'll add a 3, from what Guy said to me at the fall convention. His buyers are looking for hides cheap. They don't have a profit margin if they can't get the hides cheap. So we either sell $10 avg coon to them, or don't sell coon at all.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:15 PM

You know expanding in this market cost money and is not cautious, guess who gets to pay Groeny's new expenses. smile
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:16 PM

Of course buyers are looking for hides cheap. And as long as they can buy all they need cheap they will remain cheap.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Of course buyers are looking for hides cheap. And as long as they can buy all they need cheap they will remain cheap.

Okay, I'll explain a bit more. The Chinese parka makers use coon fur for lining, because they can get the fur cheap. There is no room in their pricing to pay more for fur. If the furs move up in price too far, they will switch to a different lining rather than change their parka price.
If they quit buying coon, then the price will really drop, if coons would move at all.

You know expanding in this market cost money and is not cautious, guess who gets to pay Groeny's new expenses. smile

Isn't that how most businesses work? They use their profits to expand?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:21 PM

Figured this thread would turn into a cluster.

For those griping about Groeny- Who would you sell your fur to if they didn't come around? Why don't you do that instead?

I'll only sell big heavy pelts. Anything less I make other plans for.

Its embarrassing to read a bunch of grown men complain about the free market on one thread and accuse people on political threads of being socialist. Can't have it both ways gentlemen.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

Isn't that how most businesses work? They use their profits to expand?

Exactly

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:26 PM

How do we know Groeny is using profits to expand. Maybe he is expanding with borrowed money like the former Capitalist Giant NAFA. If the rat wagon is coming home have filled this could still be a money loser.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:28 PM

How do we know Groeny is using profits to expand. Maybe he is expanding with borrowed money like the former Capitalist Giant NAFA. If the rat wagon is coming home have filled this could still be a money loser.

Who cares what he's using the profits for! Its their money.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:28 PM

How is that different than any other business using a loan?

If you don't like Groeny, don't sell to him.

Don't make him out to be a boogeyman.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:29 PM

your too self centered to understand Dirt,and i'm not saying thats a bad thing.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:34 PM

your too self centered to understand Dirt,and i'm not saying thats a bad thing.

Maybe I'm self centered like Groeny.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:38 PM

I guess my intentions weren't meant to bash and start a big fiasco. I was trying to see what was all happening in your area with Groeny buyers.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:45 PM

Small coon are being used for liners, are cheap and have been. Big heavy coon are being bleached and dyed and use to replace coyotes. The top end is where the price drop seems to be. I don't believe the demand is less than last year but the average is. Most buyers averages have dropped 2 to 4 dollars after NAFA went under, coincidence, I don't think so.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:45 PM

We are so lucky to have someone to buy our fur. Same attitude I suppose someone making minimum wage has. How dare anyone question fur buyers? Ungrateful people. LOL. It’s not all right for the seller to be a capitalist too? And question things? I’m glad we have Groenwold as an option but hopefully fur buying will involve more competition down the road. If the Chinese can’t pay enough to cover trappers production cost then producing is pointless.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by conibearguy
I guess my intentions weren't meant to bash and start a big fiasco. I was trying to see what was all happening in your area with Groeny buyers.

You were not bashing. You posted a legitimate question. The answer is yes.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Small coon are being used for liners, are cheap and have been. Big heavy coon are being bleached and dyed and use to replace coyotes. The top end is where the price drop seems to be. I don't believe the demand is less than last year but the average is. Most buyers averages have dropped 2 to 4 dollars after NAFA went under, coincidence, I don't think so.

So are MOST buyers making more profit, or was NAFA artificially inflating the fur prices through their business practices?

Either way, as a seller, if you don't like the offered price, find another buyer.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 02:57 PM

2 more days and they will be in Prince Albert and Clavet Saskatchewan( 10 mile from Saskatoon) and we will see what the real prices for western heavy coyotes go for;
Then the Brandon Mb. gun show on the 18 Dec as long as someone post from there.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:02 PM

It's a good time to be a furbuyer.

Jump right in. LMAO

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog
It's a good time to be a furbuyer.

Jump right in. LMAO

Must be. Groeny is expanding. I'm not.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:32 PM

i worked in the busines for 40 yrs learning everything i could so someday i'd be the buyer.someday definetely aint now for me either.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:34 PM

i need to reopen my fur put up business as them prices don't change.that someday aint now either though. wink

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:45 PM

Folks, none of this matters. In southern Indiana, our fur is marginal at best. I pay a guy $3 to skin and flesh my coon and $10 to skin and flesh my coyotes. I just want something to sell. You guys with all the good thick fur, are you coming out? I'm trapping because I like it. "Groeny, NAFA, it don't matter. Maybe your losing less than me so you feel like your winning. Fur is done because it's done in the U.S. China, Germany, Russia; don't hold your breath.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:47 PM

It blows my mind to why anyone would drive around the country side buying furs... paying non res fur dealer licenses, employee cost/ benefits, insurance, gas, lodging, wear on trucks, dealing w/ poor weather conditions buying near worthless fur that needs cleaning, skinning, exposed to who knows diseases etc etc... for a piddly few pelts from disgruntled sellers... It must be a passion and bank on the future cuz I can't see hardly a margin only risk...

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:48 PM

It is not Groney bashing or NAFA bashing to have opinions and pontificate on what factors are possibly driving the current fur market.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 03:51 PM

One slip of a knife get an infection that one Dr. visit wipes out the whole routes profit if there was one to start?

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 04:03 PM

i'm out trapping just to prove i wasn't lying when i said i'd trap whether i made money or not.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 05:44 PM

I think I'll mortgage the house and start buying. Now is the time!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Backbreaker

How bad can being homeless really be?
whistle
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

How bad can being homeless really be?
whistle

Its a dandy life in Portland. The city will clean your poop up for you and give you all the free needles and usage kits you could ever need. You will never get charged with any crimes you commit because you are in need of help and will likely fair well in the temperate climate.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:09 PM

I know of two not homeless furbuyers in Indiana. One, once was on here bragging how much money he made off trappers.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
It blows my mind to why anyone would drive around the country side buying furs... paying non res fur dealer licenses, employee cost/ benefits, insurance, gas, lodging, wear on trucks, dealing w/ poor weather conditions buying near worthless fur that needs cleaning, skinning, exposed to who knows diseases etc etc... for a piddly few pelts from disgruntled sellers... It must be a passion and bank on the future cuz I can't see hardly a margin only risk...

Let's just blame them for being nefarious and taking advantage instead of thinking they may have more overhead than the local buyer and can't pay as much as the local.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:42 PM

I hope you guys read Greg Schroeder's posts about FHA's practices regarding low value no sale furs.
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:46 PM

I was personally very pleased with the offer Guy made on my coyotes. Much better prices than I've ever been offered by a Kansas furbuyer. I'm glad there are now options like Groenewold, and Lincoln Fur in my area.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:47 PM

If I was a banker, I couldn't loan money for fur speculation. All the really big money comes from lenders. That's what happens even if your company is 350 years old. You would have to convince me you could double your money quickly. If you hold fur fine, but your paying interest. Even if you are setting flush with cash I believe I'd put it somewhere else. This is a depression.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:48 PM

If I was a banker, I couldn't loan money for fur speculation. All the really big money comes from lenders. That's what happens even if your company is 350 years old. You would have to convince me you could double your money quickly. If you hold fur fine, but your paying interest. Even if you are setting flush with cash I believe I'd put it somewhere else. This is a depression.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:48 PM

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:50 PM

In this market I doubt any buyer paying $3-$8 for grease coons depending upon size and grade will make much profit. If there was a huge way to profit from buying low priced wild mink, coons, rats and reds there would be more interest in buying that fur. If a buyer works on a 15% mark up on say average plus markets like $12 coons or $5 average rats, what do the need to get for a margin when rats are $2.50 and coons $6 to get similar dollars for their operation? I am not saying 15% is the correct number but it demonstrates that buyers really need to buy very low or profit less or a combination of both.

Bryce

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:51 PM

Posted By: K52

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe
I was personally very pleased with the offer Guy made on my raccoon and coyotes. Much better prices than I've ever been offered by a Kansas furbuyer. I'm glad there are now options like Groenewold, and Lincoln Fur in my area.

Mind telling the breakdowns on what you sold? Might check them out next go around.
Posted By: HunterRuss

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:03 PM

I thought NAFA was back on their feet
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:06 PM

You trap or you don't, you keep it sell it or tan it.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:07 PM

I apologize for multiple replies on one thread. I have a phone way out in the boonies. I'm also new to site. When I post a reply, many times it says I'm offline. Maybe one day wi-fi will be available.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:18 PM

NAFA going through the American equivalent of bankruptcy. Lender (s) will try to recover their money by selling NAFA s assets. In my opinion, all the fur they have will be dumped on the market making things worse. Does anyone have fur up there? Well its gone! If you can sell your fur, do so. Don't send it off. Let someone else worry.
It's my understanding that they are out of wild fur business. Google NAFA. .
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:31 PM

The courts have ruled that any fur in the possession of NAFA belongs to the shippers. That fur does not belong to NAFA and can not be sold to pay NAFA’s debts.

Most of the dealer lots have been removed from NAFA to be sold elsewhere. The part lots will be sold at a later date. The money from the sale of those goods will go to the shippers. The commissions collected will go to the banks to settle NAFA debts.

I have not heard how the bad checks will be handled but I’m sure the trustee and courts are aware they exist and need to be dealt with at some point.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:46 PM

we heard ya. grin

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
In this market I doubt any buyer paying $3-$8 for grease coons depending upon size and grade will make much profit. If there was a huge way to profit from buying low priced wild mink, coons, rats and reds there would be more interest in buying that fur. If a buyer works on a 15% mark up on say average plus markets like $12 coons or $5 average rats, what do the need to get for a margin when rats are $2.50 and coons $6 to get similar dollars for their operation? I am not saying 15% is the correct number but it demonstrates that buyers really need to buy very low or profit less or a combination of both.

Bryce

On the other hand buying fur in a depressed market with little competition provides the opportunity to pick up large volumes of low cost fur. I think you may be underestimating the margin on these low cost goods. If you can buy coon for 2 bucks and sell for 4 that is a 100% return on investment. You still only made 2 bucks, but when you do it thousands of times it starts to add up.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by bblwi

Bryce

On the other hand buying fur in a depressed market with little competition provides the opportunity to pick up large volumes of low cost fur. I think you may be underestimating the margin on these low cost goods. If you can buy coon for 2 bucks and sell for 4 that is a 100% return on investment. You still only made 2 bucks, but when you do it thousands of times it starts to add up.

Kind of explains why a furbuyer would be pushing coons for liners. smile

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 09:13 PM

If your business needs to earn say $40 K over costs to run, how many more do you need to buy and sell when markets are low and with low prices comes lower harvests which compounds the problem of trying to make enough money to keep a major business venture going. There may be more of those doing a few thousand per year as a sideline in a few years. Right now many are just waiting, trappers, future buyers etc. trying to figure out how much longer the lower prices and lower demands for most fur will last. Many have waited out cycles in the past, but when we see a significant paradigm shift it takes more time and probably a lot of different players or players that make some significant changes. Some of which are occurring right now. SAGA becoming the major if not the only large ranch mink auction firm other than China, GFW, and FHA expanding their services to help producers find markets etc.

Bryce

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/12/19 09:25 PM

I know of two not homeless furbuyers in Indiana. One, once was on here bragging how much money he made off trappers.

Wonder who THAT could be..........LMAO !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: longrangekilla

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 02:26 AM

Dont blame it on NAFAs problems. Its called a free market. Thousands of people gave them their fur for nothing in the best years. Now they are somehow wrong or taking advantage???

Groeney is running a business not a charity. They have been taking advantage of the mentally challenged for years and nobody cared.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Buying carcass goods is a gamble no matter what the market is or who the buyer is.

If folks don’t like the carcass price, perhaps they should put the fur up and then offer it for sale.

Here here!
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cat daddy
Originally Posted by wissmiss

Here here!

Agreed.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 03:53 AM

Throw a little more salt in some wounds. by bringing this back up BUTT...

Hope you guys have seen some of the western coyote prices paid from Prince Albert Sask. and near Saskatoon Sk.

And those were for Grade 1-11 and were not the real prime furs that are coming on now.

Once burnt, twice shy..........cash in hand and few are sending to gamble in another auction regardless of who is running it.
There is still a pile of advances to trappers charging up interest for fur held for a better price. The same sernaio occure in the collapse years back.
Thompson Tables are on Friday and Sat for the northern trappers to have a barometer to guage.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Hope you guys have seen some of the western coyote prices paid from Prince Albert Sask. and near Saskatoon Sk.

Not sure how we would see these prices unless someone is willing to share what they know.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 01:18 PM

Was posted over on Chat line on the coyote thread and other forums but a certain moderator has banned that poster on this forum.

But does it really matter, most guys don't know what a good western coyote looks like let alone a eastern dawg.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 02:40 PM

I hope they are dropping c-notes American for Section 1 heavies. Otherwise, not good.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

But does it really matter, most guys don't know what a good western coyote looks like let alone a eastern dawg.

Agreed very few have seen a good western up close.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 05:07 PM

It seems like there was a heavy western in that pile. Coyotes and fox are from a sale in Malta MT about 1983.
[Linked Image]

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 09:03 PM

2 B notes per dawg is more like it.
Canadian hundreds are name after Borden
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 09:42 PM

Groenwold would be stupid not to take advantage ,If you don't like the price pick up your fur and go. You never had that option at NAFA

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/18/19 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Groenwold would be stupid not to take advantage ,If you don't like the price pick up your fur and go. You never had that option at NAFA

You are wrong on the NAFA statement. Any dealer with a dealer lot could put selling limits on their fur.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/19/19 01:43 AM

I am sure this very true , long time nafa shipper, I have 90 coon an probly 40-50 rats I am going try sell next weekend to him when area. All finish, coon on wood. Lot big coon, have lots more in freezer. Beavers, 30 plus mink, more rats an coon, a otter. Hopefully send that an what else catch to fur harvesters, never try them,what can guy expect on good finish coon from my area? If not like offer. I load up go to another buyer,
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/19/19 02:00 AM

Big, finished coon from your part of the state are about as good as it gets. Let us know how you do.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 01:30 AM

So what is groenwold breakdown on finish coon from this area ? Yes I thinking later auction. Could do better but cash when need it, no more nafa advances. Fur harvesters don't get into them
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Snowpa

You are wrong on the NAFA statement. Any dealer with a dealer lot could put selling limits on their fur.

I agree ,I was talking trappers that shipped

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 02:07 PM

Historically groney's prices drop later In the season as the fur becomes prime. Most likely he has filed his orders and Is know buying on speculation. So your better off selling as soon as you can.

I'm heading to a groney stop tonight, I don't have any fur but a few of my friends do.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 02:11 PM

Beav you going to the Burlington stop?

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 04:55 PM

Post some numbers if you would Beav. It will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 05:40 PM

Nope the Evansville stop. I'll post what I can.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 07:42 PM

I have not followed this thread but it looks like people are posting their Groeny offers,
so heres what I can contribute from my deal with them, 2 hours ago.......

Unable to sell (or give away) my last 11 beaver skins + 3 deer skins, I decided to take
them to the rat wagon for the first time, ever. I have shipped to them a few times over
the years, usually with late-spring catches, and always been very happy with their
first offer. I love haggling but it just hasnt been needed when I shipped.

So today I prepped by calculating the minimum offer I'd accept. I "graded" my green
beaver at three levels- $10, $8 and $5, based on what I've been reading over the
past month. $10 was for ~35lb beaver, $5 was for kits. My total came to $87.00
I also wanted to bring 2 pairs of deer skin gloves home, for the 3 hides I had for trade.

Groeny's offer was $102 for the beaver and 2 pairs of gloves, so again I didnt haggle.

Nice experience, I'll use them as a final outlet again, in the future.

-NC

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 07:53 PM

$8.00 to around $10.00 averages about what the going rate Is. It looks like you did Ok.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Northcountry
I have not followed this thread but it looks like people are posting their Groeny offers,
so heres what I can contribute from my deal with them, 2 hours ago.......

Unable to sell (or give away) my last 11 beaver skins + 3 deer skins, I decided to take
them to the rat wagon for the first time, ever. I have shipped to them a few times over
the years, usually with late-spring catches, and always been very happy with their
first offer. I love haggling but it just hasnt been needed when I shipped.

So today I prepped by calculating the minimum offer I'd accept. I "graded" my green
beaver at three levels- $10, $8 and $5, based on what I've been reading over the
past month. $10 was for ~35lb beaver, $5 was for kits. My total came to $87.00
I also wanted to bring 2 pairs of deer skin gloves home, for the 3 hides I had for trade.

Groeny's offer was $102 for the beaver and 2 pairs of gloves, so again I didnt haggle.

Nice experience, I'll use them as a final outlet again, in the future.

-NC

Were your beavers put up or green?

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 09:46 PM

He posted they were green.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 10:22 PM

Just got back from the wagon. Pretty poor avgs and as embarrassing as they are I am still going to post them . All fur was put up and done correctly . Rats were all early falls at $2.82 avg . Early fall beavers $9.22avg.Mink $2 and coon $4 . Coon were not the greatest, beaver were mostly big ones and with the rats I put up everything caught including the tiny , half eaten by mink ones and a few tiny/smalls that the boy ripped during skinning
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 10:23 PM

Missed that. Not a bad price for the beaver.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 10:25 PM

I guess he has to make up for the big prices he's paying up in Canada,trying to get his foot in the door.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/20/19 10:29 PM

Go on.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:59 AM

My buddy was a know show so I didn't make the trip.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 02:00 AM

I ‘m shipping 3 coyotes from wa state this week I’ll post up the results but I think he pays well for decent product at least he has always done me right.I have to say a lot of the fur I seen put up at auction that people thought was well put up was pure garbage and they made it that way,so I’m pretty sure at the trucks it runs about the same .
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:08 PM

I sold coyotes to them yesterday.. I think Groeny Graded them Decently Fair... I knew what I had. I'm Guessing the Check is Good Too!

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:09 PM

the check he wrote me did not bounce

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:31 PM

I guess he has to make up for the big prices he's paying up in Canada,trying to get his foot in the door.

Said the Canadian troller looking for a strike !!! laugh

w

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:31 PM

Bobo's o'k-he's just misunderstood.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Northmocats
I sold coyotes to them yesterday.. I think Groeny Graded them Decently Fair... I knew what I had. I'm Guessing the Check is Good Too!

So what was your average?
You hear this all the time when the selling average Is lower then you expected.

Well I had some early stuff and some were dinks and the market Is down and so on.

And yes the check was good. But I'm never going back to the rat wagon again.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 03:18 PM

.I have to say a lot of the fur I seen put up at auction that people thought was well put up was pure garbage and they made it that way,so I’m pretty sure at the trucks it runs about the same .

I can only speak for my fur and it was put up correctly . Like I posted it was hard to put my avgs on here but I did . It is funny that for how many stops grony has made this year not many people have posted what their fur sold for ,just a bunch of bickering about if grony is screwing trappers or not . Easy to get into a pissing match sitting on the sidelines with no fur in the game.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 03:28 PM

2x

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 03:48 PM

You don't have to have fur In the game you just need to look at some ones fur before they sell It and then look at the check stub.

I'm pretty good at grading fur. My buddy had 2 just about identical coyotes and one went for $50.00 and one went for $15.00. I kept my mouth shut when he sold but there was NO WAY there was a $35.00 difference between those 2 coyotes. Why not just say these 2 coyotes are worth $25.00 each and cut a check for $50.00. Because when the trapper walks away all he can say Is geee I got $50.00 for a coyote.
Just like the coon hunter that sold. I looked at his fur (green skinned) he had some decent coon. When he sold I asked him how he did he showed me the stub and He said look here I got $15.00 on these 4 coon. But I said well look here you got $3.00 on 15 of those other coon. But all he could see was the $15.00 coon. He will go back to his buddies and say GEEE I got $15.00 for my coon. No one talks averages.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:06 PM

Was that their top lot coon and coyote? Oldest trick in the book. Works too.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:23 PM

A neighbor I skin for sold 48 green beaver to Groney friday.

Range was from 10$ down to 1$.

$5.25 average

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:27 PM

Then there were the days of pulling WOOL on the rat wagon.
The buyer would grab a bit of under fur and jerk out a chunk and say Well This looks like slipper. No value but It still went In the back of the truck. Maybe not so much any more but In the past groney picked up a lot of NO VALUE coon on his routes.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:28 PM

You don't have to have fur In the game you just need to look at some ones fur before they sell It and then look at the check stub.

I'm pretty good at grading fur. My buddy had 2 just about identical coyotes and one went for $50.00 and one went for $15.00. I kept my mouth shut when he sold but there was NO WAY there was a $35.00 difference between those 2 coyotes. Why not just say these 2 coyotes are worth $25.00 each and cut a check for $50.00. Because when the trapper walks away all he can say Is geee I got $50.00 for a coyote.
Just like the coon hunter that sold. I looked at his fur (green skinned) he had some decent coon. When he sold I asked him how he did he showed me the stub and He said look here I got $15.00 on these 4 coon. But I said well look here you got $3.00 on 15 of those other coon. But all he could see was the $15.00 coon. He will go back to his buddies and say GEEE I got $15.00 for my coon. No one talks averages.

How many have said they are going to meet a buyer (not just groney ) or have said they sold or they saw where fur sold but haven't posted the prices ? Groney has covered a lot of area so far this year yet only a few have posted what they got for their furs . I know at the stop I sold there was a long line but not really any fur other than what I had . It was almost all people with deer hides . So all the bickering back and forth means nothing if no one post what their fur brought .

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:29 PM

this post is depressing--i'm headin back out lookin for fisher and cat sign.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:33 PM

Agreed It's a depressing market and most likely not worth talking about It.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:39 PM

First dates are like that. Wait to you are married to him. frown

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 04:39 PM

talk--yes

bicker between whats left of us makes em smile on the other side.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 05:31 PM

I never had a check bounce from them either.

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 05:57 PM

Groeny's checks don't bounce because he makes lots of money off trappers. Good for him!

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/21/19 07:36 PM

he tried the these are fifty dollar coyotes and these are 8 on me. one was an 8 dollar coyote the others were not. I sold him the fifty dollar coyotes. he was about 100 dollars short of what i figured id take for the 10. 9 good coyotes and 1 junker. I wont go back but he did make an offer. was very polite and the check was good. i just feel like i can do better elsewhere.
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Groenewold Taking Advantage of no NAFA - 12/22/19 03:22 PM

he tried the these are fifty dollar coyotes and these are 8 on me. one was an 8 dollar coyote the others were not. I sold him the fifty dollar coyotes. he was about 100 dollars short of what i figured id take for the 10. 9 good coyotes and 1 junker. I wont go back but he did make an offer. was very polite and the check was good. i just feel like i can do better elsewhere.

I tried that years ago and he said "no SON, it's all or NUTHIN".

Maybe because I was in my twenties at the time and you get treated differently as a young guy. Ppl tend not to treat you with the same respect as if I was a 60 yr old guy with some gray hair.

Nonetheless, I took his offer bc I was in school and it wasn't a lot of fur. I wasnt happy though with his tone.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums