Home

Retention holster advice

Posted By: nvwrangler

Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:26 AM

Was looking for a carry holster for a s&w sheild and after reading reviews on the blackhawk sherpa line and discharges I think i want something else. I have one blackhawk and it will get put in storage. I want a retention holster as ive had my xd pop loose while riding in my side bx side on the line.

What does everyone prefer?

Safari land holsters caught my eye but i didn't see an iwb durring my search. Would like both iwb and an owb eventually.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:36 AM

alien gear has a new IWB with retention out worth looking at , I don't have the IWB with retention but do run an Alien gear IWB
Posted By: Finster

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:43 AM

I carry a Kimber Ultra Covert 45 ACP. I've used a lot of different holsters. I carry on my hip under a shirt or jacket. I've gone through quite a few holsters that I just didn't like for one reason or another. However, this Bainchi retention holster has become my favorite. It's easy to draw, retains very well and is small. It's also leather so it's comfortable. They make this same holster for many different models of handgun, you'll have to see if they make one that fits yours if your interested. Here's the one I use. Again, as far as retention holsters go, it's the best I have found.

https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-82-Carrylok-Hip-Holster/dp/B000EYBCZE/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1G2ZTKTL8UDRB&dchild=1&keywords=bianchi+holster+1911&qid=1576467373&sprefix=Bianchi+holster%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-24
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:44 AM

What caliber? FYI the .45 is a tad bigger then the rest.

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:49 AM

Its a 9
Posted By: adam m

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:54 AM

Do not get a Sticky. Had my shield come out while on the ground during an altercation.
I have an IWB that is made locally and the retention is incredible. I believe I have a crossbreed OWB that is awesome. It is my range day holster as it is easier to draw.

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 03:56 AM

Adam
Is sticky a brand name or a style?

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Its a 9

You should be ok on fit then.

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:05 AM

Law what holster do you prefer?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:14 AM

Wrangler... just tie down an ole tooled leather holster to your right thigh ... and a bandalerro across your chest full of ammo ... then walk across the earth like you own it while trying to shoot down the moon

....OoooHhhEeeelllllyeahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:16 AM

Savell i tried that but the dang belt shrinks every couple of years and the bandlor chaffs when i sweet lol
Posted By: Savell

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:19 AM

....that explains why the moons out tonight I guess lol

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Law what holster do you prefer?

I have a DeSantis belt type for work the choices were limited on the .45 Shields but this one had a retention snap on it. I like a paddle holster when off duty easy on off and stays on when the paddle is in the pants. I tried my Sig 220 holster but it kept releasing the mag on it's own.

If Safariland made a leather paddle holster like the one I have for my Sig I'd have that, maybe they make one for the .45 now.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 05:01 AM

Black Arch Holsters, Protos-M.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 05:25 AM

I really like the crossbreed holster for my sig 938. Comfortable and never a chance of it going anywhere while I'm carrying it.
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 11:42 AM

Another vote for crossbreed IWB
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 01:43 PM

I still have not found the right holster for my S&W 38 spl Revolver. The best so far is in the pocket in a holster.
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 02:01 PM

For my shield 9 mm, I have a tipster holster. You can set the retention to your liking. Great lightweight holster.
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Retention holster advice - 12/16/19 02:01 PM

Tolster
© 2024 Trapperman Forums