Home

Spinal Fusion?

Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 08:53 PM

What types of experiences have you guys had with this procedure? Been on painkillers for 4 years now and my L5-S1 disc is messed up and won't heal. I've done everything besides fusion, including a discectomy surgery. Also was looking at artificial disc replacement or one of those spinal cord stimulators. Has anyone got one of those things? Im a pretty young guy to have this problem and just trying to get some first hand info. Thanks guys.
Posted By: j crow

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 09:16 PM

I’m actually recovering from a spinal fusion as we speak, had it done a month ago on the L5 S1 disc... still can’t lift no more than 10 lbs but it was worth it for me, was up walking the day after my surgery and in a lot less pain than I was before my surgery. Told me it would be about a 6 month recovery.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 09:32 PM

L5/S1 here too. Best thing I ever did.....BUT...I felt so good I started doing stupid crap again. Lifting stuff that was way too heavy. L3/4 and L4/5 are shot now. Just dont overdo it and I think you will be OK. As for the spinal stim, my father got one and it was terrible....I myself would never do it but im sure others had success with it. Dad actually had his removed. Best of luck to you. Back pain is the worst!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 10:43 PM

I had one and was in good shape for awhile. Only bad thing I had 3 that needed to be fixed ,one on top of the other ,. Surgeon wanted to do two levels Insurance said no. So I still plod along good days and bad...........
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 11:07 PM

For me it was C -4 C -5 C-6 in my neck if you're wondering the first go around was back in 1990 I did fairly good until 1995 and had another to get to the before mentioned this was a lifetime ago or so it seems now recovered for me was almost a year each time.
Now those same surgeries are practically out patient now I'd suggest that you just bite the bullet and get it done and over with it so you can get back to a normal life.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 11:08 PM

L4-L5 here about 12 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Unless they’ve made advancements the first week is awful, first month is bad, after first six months is not too bad and you’ll start knowing you made the right choice. I’m starting to get old Aurther in there I’m afraid but the daily pain I had has been relatively gone for over a decade.
Posted By: GoGitter

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 11:10 PM

I had it done about 10 years ago in my neck. I'm glad I did it. Very little pain and doesn't bother me very often
Posted By: j crow

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/17/19 11:20 PM

Oh and FYI, if you get it done and you feel the urge to sneeze that first month, run to the bed and lay down lol... it feels like you’re going to blow all the hardware out your back...
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by j crow
Oh and FYI, if you get it done and you feel the urge to sneeze that first month, run to the bed and lay down lol... it feels like you’re going to blow all the hardware out your back...

This is so true! This is what Im going through now!
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 01:05 AM

C1-C5 . Wife complaines i steer the truck to which ever window im looking out.
Posted By: jk

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 01:06 AM

I had it done with the stimulator 20+ years ago. the big bad boy is gone. There is still constant annoying discomfort and for some reason walking down hill is horrible but I can live with that. The surgery was so long ago I can not remember what the pain actually was, but I was on the floor by 2 pm in the afternoon lying flat on my back for the rest of the day. Now just that little bugger bothering me.....jk
Posted By: yooperfur

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 06:21 AM

just had my L3 S1& L5 done in sept. back to work 2 months later as a nurse. was able to deer hunt with no problem, so far iam feeling good. not taking any pain killer except over the counter stuff.
good luck and follow your DR. INSTRUCTION.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 11:01 AM

I've had 8 levels fused in 4 different surgeries. First was the 2 levels on the very bottom of my spine. Next surgery was the 2 levels above the first. Working my way up 2 levels each time. Have constant pain, but have learned to live with it, no opiods. Now the doc wants to fuse my entire spine. I am going to try and put this off as long as possible. Doc explained to me when a fusion is done, it creates stress on the levels above. Even with all I've been through, it could be worse. I'm still walking and able to trap, although I have difficulty getting up after making coyote sets.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 12:06 PM

Had L5 to S1 four years ago. Wasn't a option as I couldn't deer hunt. Was up walking the same night. Used a walker I think for about 10 days. Would do over a hundred times. Only thing I would do different would be to find a great chiro before waiting 2 years after surgery. Soft tissue from the surgery will cause you more pain in time.
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by M.S. Pickins
What types of experiences have you guys had with this procedure? Been on painkillers for 4 years now and my L5-S1 disc is messed up and won't heal. I've done everything besides fusion, including a discectomy surgery. Also was looking at artificial disc replacement or one of those spinal cord stimulators. Has anyone got one of those things? Im a pretty young guy to have this problem and just trying to get some first hand info. Thanks guys.
I'm in the same boat... L4-L5, L5-S1 sciatic nerve damage etc... I took pain meds for 5 years and it only covered up the pain, I continued to damage my back because I couldn't feel what was going on. The worst part is getting off the pain meds.... bad bad bad. Try to kick the pain meds first, and see it that helps. I'm not doing the surgery until I can't walk.

Good Luck
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 02:34 PM

I had ACDF (Neck) surgery 2-1/2 years ago.. The pain after the procedure wasn't as bad as the pain before.. Recovery takes a while..
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/18/19 02:43 PM

Had a laminectomy on L4 and L5 eight weeks ago. No pain at all now. Before had really bad pain in legs for a year. I thank God and my surgeon. I have quality of life back again.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/19/19 01:01 AM

Sorry the discectomy didn’t work. Had L5/S1 done little over a year ago and still have a numb right foot. Otherwise fine. Couldn’t hardly walk with the pain before. Glad it’s over. No input on the fusion but my buddy had one done years back. Said he’s good to go these days. Hope you find some level of relief.
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/19/19 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I scheduled an appointment with some doctors that put in that spinal cord stimulate, I'll see if the trial works. If not I guess i'll have to bite the bullet on the fusion or wait and pray that a new treatment comes out. I see doing a lot of new things with stem cells now. Thanks again and I hope you all find or stay in good health for the holidays!
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/20/19 12:25 AM

L4/L5, L5/S1 double fusion three years ago. Best decision I have made. Before it was a process to get out of bed each morning. Now just hop out and away I go.
Posted By: outdoorlonghair

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/20/19 02:01 AM

I already have C-1 to T-5 fused together, that's 11 so far. Sometime in the future I will be getting the lumbar and SIs done. All I can say is these doctors now days sure do some great work! They've still got me upright enough to set steel.
Posted By: chris_tn

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/20/19 06:28 AM

L4-L5 here two years ago in September. Also removed blown disc and replaced with titanium spacer. NO bending, twisting, or lifting over ten pounds for ninety days. Well worth it. What Dr tells you to do during recovery DO IT! I was 44 when had mine, it’s giving me my life back. There are things I’ll never be able to do again or somethings I’ve learned to do differently but I would do it again.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/20/19 10:53 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same exact story as mine. Once you have a bad back you always have a bad back but if you’ve had daily pain it’s just a wonderful relief to get rid of that.
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Spinal Fusion? - 12/20/19 11:53 AM

I have "Arthur" and his brother "Ritis" in my back, and neck, pelvis, and my legs. Pain is my buddy now and we'll share the ride out to the end I'm sure of it.

So now I spend quite a bit of time figuring out how to do things differently. Reaching out and bending at the waist to work is not happening.

Mindfulness of my posture and limitations is absolutely necessary. Stretching and exercises help quite a bit for me. I need to get re-imaged soon.

Our local CBD oil seems to take the "razor edge" off of the pain but does not mask or remove it.

That's important because I'll forget that I'm not 25 again and just go about things as I used to. It's BAD if I do that.

I hope you find relief and acceptable change, it's certainly a challenge to say the least.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums