Home

Million point five....holy cow - I mean ...

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 07:04 PM

Bull / Sells for 1.51Mil.

https://www.drovers.com/article/angus-bull-smashes-world-record-price-selling-151-million

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216575393440133&id=1317905630
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 07:19 PM

I would rather have the bull that produced that bull.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 10:45 PM

I could buy a whole farm with a herd of cows for that much.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 10:55 PM

Neighbor kid where I lived before sold a show steer in KC years back nowhere close to that but the guy that bought it turned around and gave it to a soup kitchen. Write off maybe?

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Neighbor kid where I lived before sold a show steer in KC years back nowhere close to that but the guy that bought it turned around and gave it to a soup kitchen. Write off maybe?

Thats what happens to a lot of 4 H show animals....businesses buy them donate and take a write off.

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine
I could buy a whole farm with a herd of cows for that much.

Exactly right
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/20/19 11:32 PM

I wonder what I would have brought 30 years ago. I still have my Chipmunk fur out speedo.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 12:23 AM

I drove by Select Sires earlier today. That bull is likely going to be filling a lot of very expensive straws. I wonder how much they will go for?

Keith

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I drove by Select Sires earlier today. That bull is likely going to be filling a lot of very expensive straws. I wonder how much they will go for?

Keith

More than I have to spend.

I'll be buying a Bull calf born in March from some good AI bred Black Angus. For use in July 2021
Posted By: DHH

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 01:02 AM

Smoke and mirrors amongst wealthy people
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 01:52 AM

If he lives a long time and can be collected frequently and with high sperm numbers and survival rates, through AI he may be a very profitable investment for a firm, individual or a group of individuals. With growth records like that he will be heavily utilized in the beef breeds for Angus and crosses. He will also be used by several hundred thousand Holsteins on the lower genetic end as those cross bull and heifer calves sell for 2 to 4 itmes what a Holstein calf sells for. I wonder what the insurance premiums would be to protect their investment if there is a carrier that covers aspects of semen, bulls etc.

Bryce

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
If he lives a long time and can be collected frequently and with high sperm numbers and survival rates, through AI he may be a very profitable investment for a firm, individual or a group of individuals. With growth records like that he will be heavily utilized in the beef breeds for Angus and crosses. He will also be used by several hundred thousand Holsteins on the lower genetic end as those cross bull and heifer calves sell for 2 to 4 itmes what a Holstein calf sells for. I wonder what the insurance premiums would be to protect their investment if there is a carrier that covers aspects of semen, bulls etc.

Bryce

I knew they used Angus semen for holsteins that wouldnt stick ....but didnt know they used High quality semen
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 02:14 AM

I was always told that the main reason that a lot of Holstein heifers were bred to an Angus was because they threw a smaller calf.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 02:16 AM

Since the milk market has gone south and dairy cattle are very low in value, and some large coops are setting quotas in members production many of the lower genetic and production capable Holstein cows are being bred to beef bulls. Most common are Angus and Angus- other beef crosses. With the use of sexed semen dairy farmers can and do breed a lower percentage of their higher genetic potential cows and heifers to sexed dairy semen and breed the lower end maybe up to 25-35% of the herd to beef and beef crosses as those calves sell for $1.00 to $3.00 per lbs. or more while lower quality Holstein calves sell for .20 to .75 cents per lbs.
Also with the high cost of raising heifers and better management dairy producers can't afford to spend $1500 to $1800 to raise a heifer they can buy for $900 to $1400.

Bryce

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 02:47 AM

Interesting stuff to a small beef guy like me.

[Linked Image]
Angus Hereford X
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 02:56 AM

i'd have it hooked to a milker fillin straws. wink

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
i'd have it hooked to a milker fillin straws. wink

If that'd work yeah...but no

Its the dark room and cow magazines
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by DHH
Smoke and mirrors amongst wealthy people

X2. Free publicity. Gets a lot of attention.
Posted By: TTP

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 04:12 AM

Overpriced by about 1.5 million

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 04:37 AM

Amazing Animal stats
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 05:48 AM

I could never own a bull like that. There isn't enough room in my living room and no way would I let him out of my sight. Nor would I like cow feed, and I would have to taste test it before I would let him eat anything, just to be sure it wasn't poison.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Million point five....holy cow - I mean ... - 12/21/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

But you gotta be quick with those straws, 'cause if the cow blows first....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums