Home

Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap

Posted By: strike2x

Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 04:50 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found my trap hung from a tree after a rabbit dog found it. I am sure the dog didn't do this. I am glad they left it as I believe I can straighten it out and use it again. I don't understand why sportsman would do this. That would be like me waiting around the swamp and kicking those dog as it run by. Some people just don't realize a lot of people share the public land. I had all kinds of vengeful things thought up when I realized that would make me no better than them. I decided to calm down and pray for them. The dog did nothing wrong.....
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 04:53 PM

That sucks. It sucks even worse, like you said, that other "sportsmen" would do this.
Good for you for calming down and praying for them. Not sure I could do the same.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 05:07 PM

It looks to me like it was run over while it was still set. I have straightened out a bunch of them that have run over by a tractor, truck or other farm implement. What makes me think this is, the way the tabs that hold the jaws are bent down, would indicate that it was still set and the levers pushed them against them, bending them down.

Garry-

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 05:16 PM

The trap was on a game trail in a spruce swamp. No vehicle could get to it. It was about 100 yards from nearest vehicle accessible road but it was hung in tree my a parking spot where I would assume they used a hammer on it to try to send a message. I know I can make it functional again. Had 2 run over by trail groomer last year and I can't tell which ones the were when I grab a trap.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 05:16 PM

got run over after it caught fido. a pickup wont put one in a tree. i like dogs and like hunting with dogs so i will listen to a LITTLE complaining if a hunter has as much business to be there as I do. you cant fault somebody for running over a trap they did not know was there. damaging property deliberately though? no tolerance. be a shame if somebody cut all the valve stems off his pick up tires next time he is out rabbiting
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 06:05 PM

Non trappers who hunt are wigged out by traps and their dogs. Hopefully the guilty party sees the dog is just fine and avoids sets in the future. I do carry cable cutters in my hunt vest for emergencies.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 07:20 PM

Too bad for the way your trap was altered by who ever, When I do my trapping demos for the youth and family groups, I take some time out of each session to educate the class about the need to respect fellow sportsman. Also I cover what to do in the event of a dog getting caught in a foothold, snare or heaven forbid a body grip trap. I show them how to open each trap as most have never handled a trap. Talk some of how each party needs to respect the other individual's right to be there. Also I state if your a trapper and you know dogs and humans frequent the area to be careful in choice of the traps you use in that area. I show them how a snapped trap works by snapping a trap with my fingers. And explain how most times a leghold won't have any long term effect on a dog. And I also suggest if your a dog owner to go ahead and put your dog on a choker chain every once in a while at home. That may help save your dog if ever caught in a snare. I encourage all if they ever find traps or trapping equipment and it is legally set to just keep their fingers off !! It works both way and it must if we are to share public land. Too bad someone emotions overcame their sense of respecting your right in doing what they did to your trap. Conflicts will occur once in a while. No way to avoid all. We as sportsman just have to decide if we want to win the battle but loose the war or vice versa.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 07:25 PM

Hunters don't know much about traps or trapping. I carry a set of trap setters so i can set a 4 coiled trap. A hunter won't have one. He also won't be able to get that cable stske out of the ground. Most dogs become very unfriendly in a trap. It would be a very intense situation for all involved.
Just seeing it from that perspective.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 07:32 PM

I had a similar issue a few years ago. They swung trap against a tree by the cable stake, many many times. I knew this as the bark was knocked off exposing yellow under bark, it was a big poplar. They hung it on a bush.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 07:33 PM

Thats good if a hunter cant get a cable stake out of the ground. Trap wont be in a tree. Hard to imagine someone who cant figure out to push down trap levers. Or step on them. No clue where you get the most dogs are unfriendly in a trap from. I find the majority are glad to see a human. Want petted and try to get in your pickup when you release them.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 07:34 PM

had a trout fisherman,i'll call him Orvis,play "whats in here" with a stick while the landowner and i stood 100 yds away bs-in.told the landowner to wait before he hollered so we could watch him jump.changed his name to"mud waiter when that 4 coiled bridger went off.landowner was peelin the guy while laughin and i swear he was still laughin when i left.guy was from Philly-imagine that.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Thats good if a hunter cant get a cable stake out of the ground. Trap wont be in a tree. Hard to imagine someone who cant figure out to push down trap levers. Or step on them. No clue where you get the most dogs are unfriendly in a trap from. I find the majority are glad to see a human. Want petted and try to get in your pickup when you release them.

We have different experiences is all.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 09:55 PM

I had 2 dog owners who weren't so lucky when releasing their dogs from my traps. Both got chewed up pretty bad. Hands and faces.
I released a dog that got Into my truck and wouldn't let me In.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 10:04 PM

Maybe Bigfoot got his toe stuck in it then he pulled the trap out and slung it on a tree limb..sorry just had to say it
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 10:18 PM

Caught a Doctor's dog once (private ground he didnt have permission to be on). Had a trail set with two blind sets about 10 yds apart. I guess he turned the dog loose from first trap just to watch it step in the second set. He was a little excited I think at first, left a note to call him and pulled traps with 4 wheeler (lost one earth anchor). I called him and let him vent a little bit then explained to him that I've caught my dog about half a dozen times and my fingers a couple times each year and that his dog wasn't in any danger and that he was trespassing and broke the law pulling my traps. Also explained to him he had caused me more pain on his examination table in his office than what I caused his dog. Hes a pretty reasonable guy and cooled off and I told him from there on out I'd let him know when I was setting in his neighborhood.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 10:26 PM

I let go a non-target just the other day. My first thought is I'm going to get bit. Nope. The animal was patient and seemed quite thankful I came along. It was a half mile away from where it should have been and I let the owner know.

A lot of hunters don't understand trappers or trapping. Whoever did that to that trap sure took it personal.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 10:40 PM

It isn't surprising that a person who has never trapped gets pretty upset when you catch their hunting partner. If they mess my trap up some I can understand. I have no emotional attachment to a $20 trap.

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog

It isn't surprising that a person who has never trapped gets pretty upset when you catch their hunting partner. If they mess my trap up some I can understand. I have no emotional attachment to a $20 trap.

I don't think I said anything about emotional attachment. I have seen guys shoot a rabbit dog in the woods for doing wrong. This is the same kind of person. No respect.

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I had 2 dog owners who weren't so lucky when releasing their dogs from my traps. Both got chewed up pretty bad.

I've had a problems with free-range dogs the past three years. I finally got the warden involved and one of the citations he was suggesting was charging the guy for releasing his own dog from my trap. The dog owner can't legally touch my trap, not even to release his own dog.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 11:30 PM

The first dog I caught was a clone of Lassie,and ancient collie caught in a 11/2 coil set for fox.He was pretty hyper when I arrived,quit moving when I talked to him and reached for the trap,his eyes never moved from my hand and I thought for sure he was going to bite,but he didn't.The next was a beagle caught in a No.3 Newhouse,that mutt wouldn't sit still,then I was wrestling with those Newhouse springs trying to release him with him gnawing on my hand the whole time.I wrapped my right hand in a old shirt and the biood soaked thru,made for a good prop when the dogs owner showed up trying to blame me for the situation(he was on private property,as in my property).The last was my german shorthair,he got caught a couple of times right after I made a set,he nipped at me but didn't break the skin.As far as excusing hound hunters for their behavior towards us I have no patience with them or their nonsense.I've sat at a few meetings with them and listened to their grips,their biggest grip seems to be the fact they have to share the land with us.I had one go on a tirade once at a Christmas party about his dog being caught while bird hunting,how he supposedly takes all traps he finds to the local DNR office,he sneeringly called us road trappers,and said he told the DNR we need to be told to set far enough off the cut overs,powerlines,and clearings so they can hunt these areas without fear of their dogs being caught.I have no sympathy for these clowns whatsoever.

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/24/19 11:31 PM

This is not the first time, nor do I think it will be the last that this has happened. That doesn't change the fact that I did nothing wrong here and the dog owner broke the law. For those who may be wondering I pulled my traps from the spots I know to have rabbit as a courtesy to the hunters. Merry Christmas all,
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Originally Posted by gray dog

I don't think I said anything about emotional attachment. I have seen guys shoot a rabbit dog in the woods for doing wrong. This is the same kind of person. No respect.

You didn't and I wasn't suggesting you did. I doubt any trappers do.

Merry Christmas
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 04:36 AM

I had duck hunters and pheasant hunters shoot my #3 traps, steel and lead shot,
The frame on your trap is junk, way too light
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 05:39 AM

Am I the only one who carries a ply wood 3x3 sheet with a leather strap on one side for a handle and a V cut in the bottom place it over dogs leg or fox even coyote or badger hold with one hand and release dog or what ever with your feet on springs
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 06:00 AM

In Virginia they run deer hounds pretty much non-stop from mid November until the first week of January. A lot of us don't even bother trapping canines until the deer season is over in early January. I will tell you this, I will not be trying to take a foothold off of a deer hound without something to keep it from biting me. These dogs are half wild. This is done for a reason. A lap dog will stop running before the hunt is over. These half wild Walker hounds won't stop running.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Am I the only one who carries a ply wood 3x3 sheet with a leather strap on one side for a handle and a V cut in the bottom place it over dogs leg or fox even coyote or badger hold with one hand and release dog or what ever with your feet on springs

I use a catch pole. I get it secure, stretch the chain with their head away from me then kneel on the pole and release the trap with my hands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've done plenty of fox, dogs and even a bobcat this way with no issues so far.
Posted By: keets

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 02:11 PM

installing some trap handling into all hunters education classes might help

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by keets

That's a good idea. Remind hunters they share the field and we are not the enemy.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by keets

That's a good idea. Remind hunters they share the field and we are not the enemy.

That is a good idea.
Posted By: keets

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/25/19 02:43 PM

that and how to respect other user groups
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 12:11 AM

High in pie to think that anything said by a trapper will sway the opinion of the dog runners we have around here. They make us trappers seem like domesticated gentlemen. Y'all can give it a shot I guess.

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 12:29 AM

You can see the footprints in the snow. Someone and their dog passed the no trespassing sign hanging on the cable and walked over four miles down this private road. It's not the first sign they passed. I think it's an elderly man who makes a bianual pilgrimage through there every year. I've captured his pictures on my cameras before. For some reason he thinks the sign doesn't apply to him. Ballsy fellow with all of the ATV activity sign as I'm in there every day during trapping season running my sets.

I guess we got lucky today. I normally have sets out along this road for canines and cats but I didn't have any set there just now. I don't know what the odds of him getting a trap off his canine companions foot would have been but I think they would be slim. Of course, his anger would have been directed at me, the trapper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 12:53 AM

Your a way better man than me and Id assume most on here if you can get that trap back to original condition. I know I would have it looking worse than it is now if I tried LOL.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 02:57 AM

I've had em follow me all over the ranch, have never had a problem getting a dog out of a trap. Well once, but he had a face full of porcupine quills and seemed mad at the world.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 05:11 AM

I ha ve released lots of dogs out of traps through the years, and have never been bitten. I don't for the life of me understand why you would trust any dog not to bite you, if you use your hands to take the trap off. If the dog is fresh caught, let him sit for a bit and let the foot go numb, so he will calm down. If you can pet him, take him by the neck and hug his head tightly against your body so he cannot bite you, then step on the levers or springs with both feet and lift his foot out of the trap. I have showed lots of people how to do it, and have turned all kinds and breeds loose using that way, and have never been bit. My own dog will try to bite me if you rush in and kneel down to use your hands to take the trap off. Talk to the dog in a calm voice and take your time, the trap will not hurt the dog, the only danger the dog is in, is if it is freezing weather, and is in it for a number of hours. Then the danger is a frozen foot. Use sense and patients rather than scaring the dog and getting bitten!
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by The Beav
I had 2 dog owners who weren't so lucky when releasing their dogs from my traps. Both got chewed up pretty bad.

I've had a problems with free-range dogs the past three years. I finally got the warden involved and one of the citations he was suggesting was charging the guy for releasing his own dog from my trap. The dog owner can't legally touch my trap, not even to release his own dog.

Well tell that to to the up-teen person that had there trap smashed or taken. it appears they can break the law....
Emotions can run high ,i will agree.Free range semi wild dogs need a different approach verses hunting and dog walkers in my opinion. whistle
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found my trap hung from a tree after a rabbit dog found it. I am sure the dog didn't do this. I am glad they left it as I believe I can straighten it out and use it again. I don't understand why sportsman would do this. That would be like me waiting around the swamp and kicking those dog as it run by. Some people just don't realize a lot of people share the public land. I had all kinds of vengeful things thought up when I realized that would make me no better than them. I decided to calm down and pray for them. The dog did nothing wrong.....

They are engaging in a hunt where a dog does most of the work, your trap looks like that because they couldn’t figure out how to open it.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 11:47 AM

Trapping in Mi since I was 12 I am 56 now, in the last 20 years dog hunting has gained in popularity and land to run dogs freely has shrunk more and more. We have a couple contests in January where payout is several thousand dollars for number of coyotes, foxes, cats taken. I work year around at a large golf resort (1600 acres) in grounds maintenance, during this contest we close entrance gates and have had to dig ditches and build berms across and point of access to stop trucks. I have literally had pickups with dog boxes stuck in a snow covered sand traps in the middle of a fairway. We are surrounded with thousands upon thousands of acres of federal and state land. I have yet to meet a hounds man that is friendly and willing to share our resources with a trapper. I have a couple bird hunters on staff that make the connection between nests, eggs and coons,possums and other varmints to trappers.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 12:44 PM

Use your coat or a coat for release of non targets. Get their head in the sleeve and you’ve pulled teeth. Works on hawks, owls. And friends too!
Posted By: cci

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 02:30 PM

Why doesn't everybody have a catch pole. It should be required. It makes a release really easy.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/26/19 04:52 PM

I'm going up to get my 2020 CT Trapping license right now up at the DEEP Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Office, problem is I always got to look over my shoulder because there's a mixture of hunters, hikers/those into nature, and the occasional trapper, and we seem to get frowned upon the worst.

I agree about the comment with catch poles - but I don't - well, maybe a hunter who uses hounds ought to have one, or at least working knowledge of how traps work, but that will never happen because they feel they truly own it all as far as where their dogs can go - to the point where there was a guy who used to let his hounds loose in the cemetary and let them run wild and he truly felt there was nothing wrong with that, so I had to take some action on my own to put a stop to that quick, as my dog on a leash don't need to be attacked AGAIN.

I know for myself, I'm gonna make me one of those 4ft x 4ft boards with the notch, because that is cheap insurance - I'd rather make one and not need it - than not have one, and really need it bad.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Rabbit hunters adjusted my trap - 12/27/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cci
Why doesn't everybody have a catch pole. It should be required. It makes a release really easy.

Some Western States require a catch pole, I like the 5' one I have
© 2024 Trapperman Forums