Home

ATV pull behind Trailer

Posted By: varmintshooter

ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/25/19 11:52 PM

I was looking at using an ATV trailer. Otter has one molded plastic with ATV tires. I have several Otter sleds and there perty tough. DR has one also, little pricey but looks solid. Waterfowl impoundments, and some mitigation sites I can't drive a truck on when its wet. Anyone use an ATV trailer to tote your stuff when you can't use a truck? What kind, size, and what do you like the best. I dont want one with expanded metal in the bottom. I will also use it to tote off carcass's so I want a solid bed.
Thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 12:10 AM

I use one,they are good for hauling stuff.
Make sure you get a lid for it or everything will bounce out of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 02:28 AM

I use one just like Boco has in his 1st photo. Easy pulling don't know that it is back there.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 03:06 AM

I use the same kind of trailer as Boco and it works good for me. I agree, definitely need a lid or canvas cover of some sort or you’ll be looking behind you all the time making sure things aren’t flying out.
Posted By: old243

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 03:08 AM

Built a trailer many years ago, still use it. follows in the atv track. Has 15 inch car tires 225 or 235 if you can find them. box is about 20 inches wide and 20 inches high and about 5 or 6 feet long. 1 inch pipe frame at top that you can tie stuff off too. . Have carried a 12 alum boat on it, A lot of overhang , but it worked. Tows very easy . good flotation in mud. I can haul about a 1/3 of a cord of firewood, no problem. Was cheap to build, and rugged. If you weld and are handy , build yourself one. old243

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 03:25 AM

Seen some real good home made ones.Couple guys that moose hunt down by my camp on the river have one with a winch and a boom on it for loading moose.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 03:55 AM

I built one years ago ...Its been a Godsend. I made it to haul my Polaris 400 to the locations, then it goes behind my ATV. After a few cut and weld tweaks its almost perfect. Ill try and get pictures tomorrow.
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/26/19 04:15 AM

Here's mine, made from an old ranger bed, works great.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 12:36 AM

Would lower air pressure in trailer tires help?
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 12:45 AM

I have one from harbor freight. 50"×48" frame. Can put a car top carrier on it. My brother uses a polar that mill''s fleet farm sells
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 12:48 AM

Clamshell. Indestructible. Either make your own railing or lid, or you will leave a Hansel and Gretel trail of kit behind you, especially uphill. The railing can be anchored by putting steel under the lip of the edge, then bolting through it.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 06:53 PM

I got a 4 wheeler for the missus yesterday and after rebuilding the carb and adjusting the valves I looked around the place for a bit and cranked up the welder and made her a little trailer for it so that she can play in the garden and if she feels like it haul some firewood.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 07:12 PM

I need me one like that to pull behind my Grizzly!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/27/19 11:23 PM

I kept saving the wheels when they trashed the old dock carts at the marina. I have 4 more of those and if I have a mad moment, may just make longer axles and double up on the wheels for squirts and giggles. Turning that little rig into a 12 wheeler lol
Posted By: gcs

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/28/19 09:09 PM

Know a snow goose hunter that hauls 3 sleds in a train behind his atv, no tires.
Has an upside down sled on top of each bungeed down to keep everything inside.
I guess the bottoms will wear through eventually, but I think he had the wear skids on them so it would just be a matter to replace the skids

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/28/19 09:24 PM

Boco, what name brand is your trailer. Folks on here like it and it looks like what I am after.
Thanks
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/28/19 09:38 PM

$1200 cad. I have one. Worth every penny. 2000 lb axle.

http://www.theironworker.com/products/kemp-trailers/atv-trailers

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/28/19 11:37 PM

Hutchy, thanks. those look just the DR ATV trailers and for about the same price.

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/28/19 11:46 PM

I forget the brand varmintshooter.I have had it for years,picked it up at Canadian tire for around 300 bucks if I remember right.I got my welder to extend the hitch bar so I can carry a canoe etc on top.It is very lightweight,I can pick it up with one arm empty.
It also has a pin for dumping.

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/29/19 12:06 AM

Your arm is bigger than mine. I like your trailer.
Posted By: MJM

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/29/19 12:54 AM

I have a Swisher two wheel trailer I pull with the ATV. I put a 2" ball hitch on it, so it matched the ball on the trailer the ATV rides on. I got it from TSC. It has ATV type tires and has followed me where ever the ATV went.
[Linked Image]

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/29/19 12:58 AM

The reason I put the 3/4 inch plywood between the frame and the tub,is that I have had as many as a dozen beaver in it and the plywood gives the tub extra re-inforcement when bouncing down the trail.
I also load it up with firewood once in a while for the cabin.
Posted By: Ross

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/29/19 01:13 AM

I want one of these by Woodland Mills.

https://woodlandmills.com/atv-trailers/

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/29/19 01:24 AM

That looks heavy duty for sure.Good if you are doing a lot of log skidding or other heavy work,but a bit too much for a trapping trailer.Be good for hauling moose.

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/31/19 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I got a 4 wheeler for the missus yesterday and after rebuilding the carb and adjusting the valves I looked around the place for a bit and cranked up the welder and made her a little trailer for it so that she can play in the garden and if she feels like it haul some firewood.

[Linked Image]

Nice Trailer Scuba!

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/31/19 05:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Heres mine, it hauls my wheeler, then goes behind my wheeler. No Axle across bottom. So it pulls easy through the thick stuff and over stumps. Made from 2" square thick steel.

*** I re did the front end a few weeks ago...this is a picture from earlier.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 12/31/19 11:09 AM

I just bought a Bannon last night.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: ATV pull behind Trailer - 01/02/20 05:20 AM

My mistake - it's POLAR, not clamshell brand. Clamshell is the style. Variations on this theme:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Polar-Trailer-HD-MAX-Trailer-10535/304672300
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums