Home

GoodBye my Buddy

Posted By: Bogmaster

GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 03:46 AM

Just got back from having my lab put down.This was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
3 months shy of 15 years old is a long life for a black lab,but way to short when he was your best buddy.Whenever I did a convention or was gone,my wife always said Phoenix is sleeping at the top of the stairs,waiting for you.Whenever I opened that door ,when arriving home,he was there tail beating the door -and so glad to see me.
If I was sitting on the couch,he would get the upper half of his 95 pound body onto my lap,and then he would nod off to sleep with his back legs on the floor.
I never worried about my wife if I was gone,her #1 protector was on guard.
I have had dogs for my entire life,and they were all good dogs,but none as lovable and as loyal as my lab
About 6 months ago he must have had a couple of strokes.About a month ago his hind legs started to go.I helped hi up and down the patio steps,so he could go out. A couple days ago,his hind legs gave out twice in the kitchen and he was unable to get up without my help.
With no hope of him getting over his problems and fearing he would break his legs and suffer even more,I had the vet put down my buddy.I stayed with him and kept petting his head and talking to him long after his heart stopped beating.
Phoenix was a gift to our lives and he gave himself so fully
GoodBye my Buddy.
Tom
Posted By: Matt28

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 03:47 AM

Sorry to hear.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 03:50 AM

I feel for you. May you keep smiling from all the good memories of Phoenix.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 03:52 AM

Very sorry to hear Tom! Labs are such loyal dogs. You will be reunited one day as I know I will with the labs that have left me!
God Bless...

Chris
Posted By: tmullen

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 03:58 AM

Sorry to hear and it never gets easier. Lots of memories in 15 years
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:00 AM

Sad deal for sure it never gets any easier on a person.
Posted By: MoSam

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:01 AM

Sorry for your loss Tom.
Posted By: adam m

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:29 AM

Sorry to hear
Posted By: 20scout

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:30 AM

Sad day, sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:32 AM

Very sorry for you loss
Posted By: trapper les

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:45 AM

Sorry to hear that Tom.
Posted By: Minker

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:48 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 04:57 AM

amazing they get in our hearts like they do isnt it.thinkin of ya

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:08 AM

When I got home from the vet and Phoenix wasn't there to greet me,I headed to the kitchen to see if he was checking it out for scraps.Later at supper my wife had toast and chicken scraps off to the side of her plate --which she always did for our buddy.
Its going to be hard to get used to no dog around .we have had one the entire 41 years we have been married.
Tom
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:24 AM

Just like you Tom, all the dogs I've had were good dogs but once in a blue moon there is a real extra-special bond with a dog. You just lost family there.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:34 AM

I'm so sorry about your friend. My sincerest condolences. As a Christian, in researching near death experiences, I have come across stories of people who mention pets in Heaven. One which touched me was a person noticed a horse and a dog looking into the distance and was told, they were waiting for their master who would arrive. I believe good animals are cherished by God and like the lion and the lamb will be in Heaven for us to meet up on that forever plain. I also believe God does not waste millions of wild animals as they all serve his purpose and Heaven is a big place and those herds of buffalo to wildebeest are there too.
I believe good people have good animals, and impart their spirit into them. When my setter died, I jumped with a start a few weeks later when I felt her nose touch my hand which I had draped over the back of the chair. She always did this and for one of those stories people can believe or not, my brother who lives a state away, said he woke up one morning early and he swears my girl was sitting there.
It is hard to have a friend like that not around in this physical world, but I do believe we will be rejoined with them later.
My deepest sympathies.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:41 AM

Tom
I feel your loss. My lab passed 2 years ago and sometimes at night I will wake
up and call his name half asleep because he’s not sleeping beside me on the floor.
I will get another lab puppy some day and start all over again.
God bless
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:42 AM

So sorry for your loss Tom.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 05:56 AM

Hang in there a great dog is family just like our kids special one's even more so some day's I think it's those darn eye's they have that pierce our soul and wiggle and squirm into our hearts and the total excitement to see us every time we walk in the door or go out to the kennel or go hunting or fishing or a training day on the water getting covered in water each time they shake off !
Allan
Posted By: rick olson

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 07:39 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss,dog's are family for sure.I lost my yellow lab 3 years ago in May,i'm thinking about getting another yellow this spring.Again sorry for your loss.
Posted By: coop

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 10:52 AM

Mine's 14, still doesn't miss a day riding along in the PU checking traps... been many a happy day for both of us. You only get so many good dogs in your life.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 10:59 AM

Hope those happy memories always bring a smile to your face and feel that nose nudge and hear that tail thump.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:01 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:23 AM

Tom,
Sorry you lost a family member and a true buddy. Been there many many times,and even after losing some 25yrs ago it still hurts. I believe one of the best living creatures is a dog. Mine are all buried here on my place,,,ashes to ashes and dust to dust. Thinking of you my friend,,,steve
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:58 AM

Sorry for your loss Tom. It is a most difficult time. You should consider getting a new one to help the healing process.
Posted By: k snow

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 12:01 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Definitely one of the hardest days of a man' life.
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 12:40 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss..
Posted By: doug2000

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 12:54 PM

I feel your loss Tom 1 year ago our lab was having trouble and was losing weight took him in vet said he had the c word gave him some pills to help after several days took him back he went down hill fast did the same for him stayed there with him
he was given to our youngest son when he was 5 they were constant companions our son is now 17
little story with it if we scolded the dog our son would pout if we scolded our son the dog would hang his head and nuzzle on him the worst was when either of them got sick the other one was sick also he developed parvo as a pup almost died the whole time he was sick so was our son and when our son got sick so did his dog he was a great companion and protector he is greatly missed
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 12:58 PM

Tom sorry to hear of your loss.. I'm sitting here now with a 13 year old lab near by. I help her up the steps when she comes in from out side. I fear the days are numbered when I will face what you just have. When I put down my last lab at age 12 I sob like a child and couldn't stop..I even thought I would never get another dog. Yet here I''am again closing in on the end of another to short time friend ship. None of us really know what our expiration date will be.. I do know thought that for most people it's longer than their pet friends..
Take care man.

Mac
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 01:33 PM

Sorry for your loss
...really
Posted By: trapper234

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 06:50 PM

So sorry for your loss. I think I remember him at Hank & Cyrstal's home when they had their yearly conventions. I know it is hard because a few months back I had to bring in my best furry friend in to do the same. I still am still in mourning.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 07:51 PM

I'm on the 4th lab,the other boys are buried in the backyard under the oak tree. Each one rings out your heart but I will get another because they bring so much love to your life.

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 10:53 PM

Thanks to all for your caring responses. Dogs are so much a part of us,especially good ones.
All good dogs will go to Heaven!! Now if I can be good enough to see Phoenix again.
Tom
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:00 PM

Really sorry for your loss!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:01 PM

I lost my yellow lab a year ago in April. He was 11.5 years old and developed cancer that was going through his body. We walked I figure over 11,000 miles together over those years. He would watch which shoes or boots I was putting on and he would know if we were walking, hunting or going over to feed the beefers. We got him as an 8 week old pub and when we pick them up we don't like to think about it but we need to accept that these days will come and make the best of the days we have.

Bryce
Posted By: Vincenator

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/27/19 11:18 PM

I feel your pain.I'm tearing up just reading about it.Lost Jack ,Lab mix rescue from Katrina,Marley Lab ,runt of the litter and Samson ,Black and Tan Coonhound,found in a ditch while looking for beaver.And then there was Buddy,a mixed breed rescue. Got Seamus now,a Treeing walker and once in a while Freddy a Lab/Dachshund mix when my daughter drops him off for a mountain vacation
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/28/19 12:10 AM

Sorry to hear this Tom.
Posted By: trap master

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/28/19 12:32 AM

sorry to hear Bogmaster, fact is it just plain sucks. No matter how many times a guys been there it never gets any easier. remember those good times and when the time is right a new friend will come into your life.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: GoodBye my Buddy - 12/28/19 01:09 AM

Oh man, Bogmaster... I am so sorry to hear this sad news, but know that you did right, for you gave your friend the most important gift of all once most needed: the gift of eternal peace.
Also, know that your dog shall live within your heart forever, where she will be alive and remind you of all the good times you have had together.

My pal turns 12 in February, which means she's considered an old dog as far as the breed goes.... and believe me when I tell you I'm making every day count.

May you know that you gave Phoenix a wonderful life, and in return she gave the same to you.

(((((hugs)))))
© 2024 Trapperman Forums