Home

never before beaver catch

Posted By: varmintshooter

never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 10:13 PM

New site, found the lodge

[Linked Image]

Found the dam

[Linked Image]

Found where a beaver trapper had been there before. Looked like a few years before.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I trapped like there were educated beaver there. First night two 2 year olds and the mature male. With the two 2 year olds I am thinking it has been at least two years since someone else has trapped here. Notice the male is missing the front left leg.

[Linked Image]

Second night the mature female. Notice she is missing the front left foot. I have never caught a mating pair of three legged anything before.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And thanks to the secret sauce (Backbreaker) this job is done. Blow the dam in the morning
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 10:26 PM

Cool
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 10:42 PM

I guess those beavs can still get it done with only 3 legs a piece. Where's there a will, there's a way!!

Those pixs from today? If so, you haven't had enough freezes to kill that pond algae...?
Posted By: warrior

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 11:22 PM

I've caught quite a few tripods behind other trappers and one bipod missing both front.
Posted By: warrior

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 11:25 PM

I've caught quite a few tripods behind other trappers and one bipod missing both front.
Posted By: Boco

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/28/19 11:29 PM

I cant understand how people that do that are allowed a trapping licence.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

I am surprised that North Carolina requires a trapping license.
That would be like Ontario requiring a mosquito swatting license.

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 12:50 AM

Me too.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 01:24 AM

That's cool! How did you catch the tripods? I've caught Beaver that I've educated so I can understand how that would happen. I can't believe how much duckweed there is on that swamp this time of year
Posted By: Bison88

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 01:52 AM

Great work, Wonder how long it will take a new pair to find this spot!
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 02:25 AM

It amazes me the immune system beaver and rats must have to heal after the battle wounds, severed limbs, faces nearly shot off w/ a shotgun etc and heal up and just go on keepn on... TOUGH!

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bbasher
That's cool! How did you catch the tripods? I've caught Beaver that I've educated so I can understand how that would happen. I can't believe how much duckweed there is on that swamp this time of year

For just beaver trapping, footholds. Footholds are kind of like in the Karate kid, Miyagi and the Crane. If done properly there is no defense. 90% + of all my beaver are caught in footholds. Bodygrips catch everything. If I catch a nutria, turtle, otter then I ain't catching beaver. Sometimes I have to long chain but the best is to use a drowning rod. And of course the secret sauce (Backbreaker).

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 07:16 PM

Got to learn somehow, if trappers would teach more instead of trying to keep secrets it would not happen often. I will show anyone how, then its just will power and stamina and a work ethic for them to excel. I still have a will, and I think a good work ethic but my dang stamina is leaving. I really wanted to make a 1000 year beaver and a 200 year otter, ain't looking so good anymore.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
It amazes me the immune system beaver and rats must have to heal after the battle wounds, severed limbs, faces nearly shot off w/ a shotgun etc and heal up and just go on keepn on... TOUGH!

[Linked Image]

Caught this one last year. The land owners shot it a couple times in deer season and said they know that they killed it cause it didnt surface again. All the fresh cuttings told me different. Told them I’d trap if they quit trying to shoot them. Caught the pair the first night.

Those stubs are usually tough to catch
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 10:05 PM

Dad's first bow kill deer had buck shot grown into the rear end. The pic kind'a reminds me of that really cool!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

I am surprised that North Carolina requires a trapping license.
That would be like Ontario requiring a mosquito swatting license.

In Ontario and you have to write the exam in two official languages as well.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/29/19 11:15 PM

I am not sure of Boco was serious with that comment.That being said I have had several beavers over the years that get caught by the front foot and get away-only to be educated and caught by myself a couple of years later in the same spot.I have put the question out there several times to guys I know catch alot of beavers and have yet to get an absolute positive reason as to how it happens with body grips-but it does-period.

Making mistakes or not is how we learn what to do and not to do-either way there is not a trappers school out there that is better than in the field experience-and we are never too young or old to learn.

Catching 3 leg beavers is not that uncommon in most areas.Just saying

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/31/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by trapperbless

[Linked Image]

Caught this one last year. The land owners shot it a couple times in deer season and said they know that they killed it cause it didnt surface again. All the fresh cuttings told me different. Told them I’d trap if they quit trying to shoot them. Caught the pair the first night.

Was that buckshot? .22 , dang good shooting but must have been some of that Liberal soft shot ammo.

Re: never before beaver catch - 12/31/19 11:57 PM

Yep,nothing says "professionl Fur Harvester" like continually ripping the front feet off of beaver because you don't know how to make a proper set.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: never before beaver catch - 01/04/20 09:55 AM

Sounds to me like the same trapper had and lost botb of them before you came along.

Great catches!
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: never before beaver catch - 01/04/20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by trapperbless

[Linked Image]

Exactly why I don't understand why buckshot is still legal in some states. A slug would have ended that beavers life.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums