Home

Vacuum sealers

Posted By: Trappercass

Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 10:17 PM

Hello all-

I’m looking for recommendations on a new vacuum sealer- I currently have a cheap food saver, but it really seems to lack on the suction side and doesn’t do a great job getting the air out of the bag. I was looking at the cabelas commercial grade 12” or 15” and almost ordered it, but I figured I would check in here for feedback and suggestions. I am definitely open to any and all input.

It will be used for a variety of things- wild game, fruits, garden vegetables, fish..

Thanks.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 10:34 PM

chamber vac is the way to go

you can even vacuum seal things like soup

no I don't have one yet , I am waiting for my second food saver that I was given to die when it does I want a chamber vac

bags go WAY down in price but the cost of the machine goes up.

a video to show the difference
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 10:48 PM

Bite the bullet and invest in a chamber-type sealer. Chamber sealers are much more robust than suction sealers. I was having to replace my suction-type sealers about every 3-4 years. I'm going on 8 years with my chamber sealer with no loss of efficiency.

VacMaster is a good brand. The chamber sealers and the suction sealers work on the same principle: seal the food in an air-tight bag from which as much air as possible has been removed. The actual process, however, is very different between the two. You can actually seal up a bag of water with a chamber sealer. Imagine trying that with a suction sealer.

Go for a chamber sealer and you'll never regret it.
Posted By: charles

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 10:51 PM

The larger chamber models will do multiple bags. Four bag models require 220v 3 phase current however.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:00 PM

Little tip for when the cheaper sealers are a little slow, press down on the lid as gasket is most likely the problem.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:28 PM

I have a Cabelas and wasn't really happy with it. I switched to a LEM.
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:35 PM

i have gone through lots them but so far i am using the Greyon i believe its called that i got off amazon for like 50 bucks. it has outdone all my expensive vac sealers... its suction is way better then all of them by far. i would really give it a try before paying for one fo the rest. you just can't pound through meat with it every 20 seconds which for me is fine and i have done over a 1000 pounds of meat so far with it and hundreds of pounds of veggies from the garden this year and its working with 0 problems. for the price and what i have done with it id buy two... i have had a food saver and a cuisinart and cabelas. cabelas is just food saver... no gooo i recommend that cheap to anyone
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:37 PM

Can't make any recommendations between the two but...

One tip I can give is to put meat and fish in the bag and freeze it BEFORE sealing it. By doing that you avoid the blood and juice mess that occurs with non-frozen stuff. We even form the burgers and freeze them then seal them up.

Been doing it this way for years.

Moosetrot
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:37 PM

also... if i am freezing liquids i just freeze them first in little square plastic containers pop them out and bag them up.... its so simple. no need to spend hundreds or thousands...
Posted By: Finster

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/29/19 11:49 PM

I have a Weston which is top of the line and pricey. However, If and when I buy a new one, it will be a chamber vac. Much better and overall cheaper in the long run.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Can't make any recommendations between the two but...

One tip I can give is to put meat and fish in the bag and freeze it BEFORE sealing it. By doing that you avoid the blood and juice mess that occurs with non-frozen stuff. We even form the burgers and freeze them then seal them up.

Been doing it this way for years.

Moosetrot

Thats a good Tip
Posted By: capt.scott

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 11:17 AM

You will save money with the chamber vac in the long run. You can buy a thousand bags for around $ 50.00 bucks. Was given a vacmaster for Christmas last year and couldn't be more pleased. It is fast and easy to use. I now do all my fish and wild game in it. Not only that I do big batches of soup, cabbage rolls, chilli and sloppy joes because liquids can be chambered so easily.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by capt.scott
You will save money with the chamber vac in the long run. You can buy a thousand bags for around $ 50.00 bucks. Was given a vacmaster for Christmas last year and couldn't be more pleased. It is fast and easy to use. I now do all my fish and wild game in it. Not only that I do big batches of soup, cabbage rolls, chilli and sloppy joes because liquids can be chambered so easily.

what model do you have?
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 02:02 PM

LOL
The internet is a funny place. You'd have to use a vacuum sealer on a commercial basis for it to actually make economic sense to buy a chamber sealer. But people are convinced it's "cheaper in the long run" because they've been told online that it's true.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 03:25 PM

Never had any problems with the food saver brand. As stated above, your gasket may be worn or needs cleaning. I used my first one for several years before it finally died (lid latches broke but still ran) and it was the cheap base model. I bought a larger Food Saver V4400 three years ago and it runs great - has a few extra bells and whistles and cost under $150. I will say I don't really do any liquids with it but I package up 4-5 deer a year and bunch of ducks and never have any problems with it. Never used a chamber vac so I have no input on those.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/30/19 09:52 PM

Foodsaver here as well and pretty happy with it. The chamber sealer looks way big. Our storage and counter space is limited so looks like we are going to be staying with the Foodsaver.

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/31/19 11:51 AM

Vacmaster VP215 oil cooled.
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by capt.scott

what model do you have?

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/31/19 12:01 PM

How is that?
Originally Posted by M.Magis
LOL
The internet is a funny place. You'd have to use a vacuum sealer on a commercial basis for it to actually make economic sense to buy a chamber sealer. But people are convinced it's "cheaper in the long run" because they've been told online that it's true.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Vacuum sealers - 12/31/19 12:29 PM

I have a big floor modle for sale. The turtle market crashed here. I no longer need it .First $500.00 gets it.
for details CALL 609-338-7011 NO PM'S or E-Mails
© 2024 Trapperman Forums