Home

Homemade ice spuds?

Posted By: slydogx

Homemade ice spuds? - 12/29/19 11:59 PM

So I was rooting around my "project pile" of odds and ends and I found a 4" x 2" piece of 1/2" flat bar. It occurred to me that it could make a decent ice chisel tip. After googling, I determined that people do indeed build their own spuds so I'm looking for any advice or inspiration you all can offer...
Thanks in advance
Posted By: keets

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 12:04 AM

I like mine big....5'6" tall 2.5" wide spud x 3.5" tall schedule 80 BIP, with a 12""T" on top...real steep angle to hit with on cutting edge
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 12:43 AM

About shoulder height on you mine have an eye large enough for a hand with mits on I like a 3/4 pipe its stiffer than a 1/2 0r 5/8 solid rod, maybe the way I made them but straight cutting edges work better than a sawtooth edge
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 12:48 AM

160user has the Best design I've ever seen

I almost bought one but didn't have the. $ that year.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:35 AM

Can any of you guys drop some pictures? There is a lot less info on YouTube and Google than I thought there would be
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by slydogx
Can any of you guys drop some pictures? There is a lot less info on YouTube and Google than I thought there would be

I just happen to have one that I acquired from the infamous 160USER. I will run out to the shed and get some pics for you.
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]

I'm sure Pat will have better photos but this is the ice eating machine of which they speak!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:54 AM

[Linked Image]

These are pure works of art. I am proud to own one, and afraid to use it for fear of losing it. Mine originally came with a one of a kind very unique lacy handle rope that would make most people jealous, or blush.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: g smith

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:58 AM

A wood handle is a must for me .That means a heavy chisel and some type of socket to accept the wood .I used 1 in pipe and split it laterally but never got the socket good and straight.I have used it a bunch for years .Birch handle .ALWAYS use the lanyard .
Posted By: Goonie

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 02:26 AM

4” axe head welded on a piece of pipe with tee handle which is hollow to put rope thru to attach to your wrist. Sharpen on grinder , this baby will chop

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 02:57 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 02:58 AM

Pictures of 160s Super spud

I Want one!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 02:59 AM

Thanks fellas. Turns out my scrap is more like 1.5" x 8" but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:02 AM

Make me one...I'll pay shipping grin

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:10 AM

You may not want it LOL I am "new" at weldit and only have a harbor freight FCAW welder lol.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Pictures of 160s Super spud

I Want one!!!!!!!!!!

Geez high praise! A guy gave me the original 30+ years ago and I have cut 1,000’s of holes with mine. I had a buddy tell me he could duplicate it. After making a few he said never, ever again! The inside cut on spring steel was more than he banked in!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by slydogx
You may not want it LOL I am "new" at weldit and only have a harbor freight FCAW welder lol.

preheat the weld joints before you weld (you probably know that, just a friendly reminder).

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:22 AM

Well if I hadn't been saving Hard for my Alaska hunt...I would have bought the 1 that time.

Mabeeee someday some will get made again grin
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:26 AM

I have my great grandfather's which the handle is made from a Model T steering sector shaft. The business end.was hammer forged to the handle. The end of the handle has the original three hole bracket on it for a rope to be tied to.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I have my great grandfather's which the handle is made from a Model T steering sector shaft. The business end.was hammer forged to the handle. The end of the handle has the original three hole bracket on it for a rope to be tied to.

Got a picture?

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 03:31 AM

Well if I hadn't been saving Hard for my Alaska hunt...I would have bought the 1 that time.

The legal defense banquet is a week away and I saved one for each of my nephews. Very unlikely they will appreciate them so maybe I better dig one out.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 04:27 AM

Is having a sharp end important for checking ice safety or is it only important if using it to chop through ice?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 04:29 AM

A sharp one is better if you want to know how thick the ice actually is and not just "safe" to walk on.
If you are on thick ice and want to find the beaver runs a hollow aluminum pike pole with a feed hook on one end is best.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 04:37 AM

A piece of Leaf spring off a truck makes the best spud. I made a bunch here, Most make their own, and spring steal ones are are quite popular here.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 04:42 AM

I might attempt a version this spring in the shop
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 06:14 AM

SlydogX find someone in the mining community and the drilling shafts make excellent diggers. They are threaded so you take them apart to get into your toboggan and the diamond drill tips really cut with their shape. Wrap with sideline fish rope and the shock effect is reduced. When it goes through a fish hook will catch the rope for the recovery. The steel in the flex- drilling rods of the oil fields are not very good.They are too wonky when you start to cut.

If your going to a old spring steel, take them to a high school and with a plasma cutter the students will practice the cuts like in 160users spuds shapes. You need semi's springs for the width of his.

Sure glad you are planning Jurrasic......can you carry a Inreach spot so we can all watch you on Tman.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 06:17 AM

With 3 feet of ice the 8-9' threaded together chisels do come in handy putting the hole in with the overhead swinging.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:44 PM

I've made several and I like them heaver that most folks for pushing ice plugs from dive holes. I made a few with handles of 5/8 rebar worked ok if shorter. Bounces and vibrates some in longer handle so up the bar size to 3/4 or 1 inch depending on what I could scavenge.. I like a piece of old leaf spring if can get it for blade. One I have right now has just plain steel works ok if you don't get into wood or sand in ice. does need to be constantly touched up to stay sharp. The ones I'm using right now have a funny end maybe can take some pic. it's not as aggressive as the 160 end. Which I will say I like the look of. Ends like that keep the blade from walking side ways if ya don't hit perfect straight every time.

Have used and carried a spud for years. I have learned a way to lace the strap to your hand that makes for a solid carry and chopping. Yet lets you ditch the spud in seconds god forbid ya fall threw ice. Putting any strap/rope loop around or over your wrist working around water or on ice for me is a no no. Maybe I can get the kid to help me and make a little video of the strap wrap?? Pretty simple really.

Mac
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 01:54 PM

Hexagon stock is a good start.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 02:02 PM

You're luc and y to own one Patfundine

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 04:57 PM

You're luc and y to own one Patfundine

The “bling” on it was priceless too!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 05:16 PM

Somewhere in the world there are 2 miniature spuds that are close replicas of 160s. I believe he has one. I made them with leaf springs from a golf cart, as a joke. Some lucky trapper purchased one at a benefit auction in Barnum.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 09:04 PM

I have one of a similar design that works well for me. I won it in a raffle. A friend's dad made it in the RR shops where he worked. Heavy, but it sure goes through the ice. If I hit the ice hard ahead of me with this and it does not go through, then I can walk safely on it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine
Somewhere in the world there are 2 miniature spuds that are close replicas of 160s. I believe he has one. I made them with leaf springs from a golf cart, as a joke. Some lucky trapper purchased one at a benefit auction in Barnum.

One of the miniatures is in my living room along side of a mini pack basket and some #0 traps.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 09:47 PM

patfundine

Did you plasma cut them wicked cutters or mill them? Reading this got me all interested in maybe making a new spud for my self. Even though I don't use a spud much.. Thing is I got a brother in-law teaches high school shop..now called Tec-ed. He always looking for things for the kids to do and has many that like the outdoor type things the can use. Anyway I'm thinking making one them cutter heads would be a good milling project for some kid. Of course he could have the kids make a couple one for me too. I'm sure he has kids that would occasionally use a spud. I'm not sure if he has a forge in his class room. If he does I could see him having the kids harden the steel too.. he is the kind of shop teacher I wish I'd have had.

Mac
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 10:24 PM

One eyed trapper that is a chisel. Great ice chopper indeed

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/30/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
patfundine

Did you plasma cut them wicked cutters or mill them? Reading this got me all interested in maybe making a new spud for my self. Even though I don't use a spud much.. Thing is I got a brother in-law teaches high school shop..now called Tec-ed. He always looking for things for the kids to do and has many that like the outdoor type things the can use. Anyway I'm thinking making one them cutter heads would be a good milling project for some kid. Of course he could have the kids make a couple one for me too. I'm sure he has kids that would occasionally use a spud. I'm not sure if he has a forge in his class room. If he does I could see him having the kids harden the steel too.. he is the kind of shop teacher I wish I'd have had.

Mac

They were done with a plasma cutter. The double inside bevel is far harder than everyone thinks!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 01:56 AM

I didn't have the luxury of a plasma cutter, when I built the two I made. I will say that grinding the cutting edge on those really sucked. I do have access to a plasma cutter now, I don't think I have access to a plug in big enough for it though.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 01:58 AM

Why not make 3 small needle bar points and weld them together for a head like that.Might be easier-I don't know though.I'll ask my welder.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Why not make 3 small needle bar points and weld them together for a head like that.Might be easier-I don't know though.I'll ask my welder.

I suspect I could break the tips off the first day. I can just about pry a Buick out of the slush without bending the handle or breaking the head.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
I have one of a similar design that works well for me. I won it in a raffle. A friend's dad made it in the RR shops where he worked. Heavy, but it sure goes through the ice. If I hit the ice hard ahead of me with this and it does not go through, then I can walk safely on it.

[Linked Image]

Nice MnMan!!!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 04:06 AM

I would like to say "thanks guys" with lots of sarcasm. Now I need a plasma torch so I can cut stuff. I spent some time looking at them tonight. It can sit right next to the welder and acetylene torch that don't get used.

What I really want is a carbon arc torch, but come on who would need that?

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by patfundine
I would like to say "thanks guys" with lots of sarcasm. Now I need a plasma torch so I can cut stuff. I spent some time looking at them tonight. It can sit right next to the welder and acetylene torch that don't get used.

What I really want is a carbon arc torch, but come on who would need that?

You do!

I bet you make a few, you would have buyers wink
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 04:14 AM

That 3 pronged spud looks difficult and time consuming to keep sharp!
mt

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 04:46 AM

Martentrapper;
Those Minn boys don't have the same depth or duration in time to chop ice as folks in Ak.

They probably don't even wear off the rust from the year before. Especial with these beaver prices of years past.
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

The legal defense banquet is a week away and I saved one for each of my nephews. Very unlikely they will appreciate them so maybe I better dig one out.

Great to hear! I may know a buyer for that!
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Martentrapper;
Those Minn boys don't have the same depth or duration in time to chop ice as folks in Ak.

They probably don't even wear off the rust from the year before. Especial with these beaver prices of years past.

Lol.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 01:23 PM

It sounds like there may be a chisel bidding war Saturday night sponsored by “blue smoothies”!

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 07:45 PM

It sounds like there may be a chisel bidding war Saturday night sponsored by “blue smoothies”!

This is bad....
Posted By: waggler

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 08:30 PM

Here's a homemade one from at least a couple hundred years ago.

[Linked Image]

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 12/31/19 09:26 PM

....well , I guess I'll sharpen my 2 dull spuds
Posted By: g smith

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 03:46 AM

Waggler that is a TREASURE !The folks that made & used that were pros . They were serious hunter gatherers .
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 05:00 AM

the legal defense banquet is a week away and I saved one for each of my nephews. Very unlikely they will appreciate them so maybe I better dig one out.

Bring it along! I will run it up and make sure it Shannon pays what it's worth! smile
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 08:17 AM

Here is the one I use everyday. Its heavy and rips through ice pretty good and easy to sharpen.

[Linked Image]

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 02:10 PM

Nice Spud Jeff

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
the legal defense banquet is a week away and I saved one for each of my nephews. Very unlikely they will appreciate them so maybe I better dig one out.

Bring it along! I will run it up and make sure it Shannon pays what it's worth! smile

Who said I won’t buy it back? It is my spare, spare spud.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 05:53 PM

Here is how the last batch of spuds I made are sharpened..Did them this way because another person had shown me one made this way..had only ever seen a straight cutter before this..
My spud is currently in my sons garage as he was one needed it last. I really don't use it that often any more. I do think though that I'm going to make my self another if I can find a piece leaf spring..I like the way yukonjeff has his cutter. Looks like something I can do with my limited metal working tools..

[Linked Image]

Mac

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 07:06 PM

Here is how the last batch of spuds I made are sharpened..Did them this way because another person had shown me one made this way..had only ever seen a straight cutter before this..
My spud is currently in my sons garage as he was one needed it last. I really don't use it that often any more. I do think though that I'm going to make my self another if I can find a piece leaf spring..I like the way yukonjeff has his cutter. Looks like something I can do with my limited metal working tools..

[Linked Image]

Mac

This is how mine are...just green
Posted By: rivercabin53

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 07:28 PM

What we use for the cutting blade is the cutter from a whole tree chipper. The bigger loggers chip most of there wood around here. When the knife blades get wore out you can sometimes pick up one cheep. They are 3 to 4 inches wide and 2 feet long abs 1/2 inch. thick. And you can cut them off with a cut off wheel. They stay sharp forever. Larry

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by rivercabin53
What we use for the cutting blade is the cutter from a whole tree chipper. The bigger loggers chip most of there wood around here. When the knife blades get wore out you can sometimes pick up one cheep. They are 3 to 4 inches wide and 2 feet long abs 1/2 inch. thick. And you can cut them off with a cut off wheel. They stay sharp forever. Larry

Pictures?

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 08:27 PM

[Linked Image]

Mac

This is how mine are...just green

First one I seen is that red color in pic guy made us 3 or 4.. I painted some I made like that, and some florescent orange. My personal one I painted black with cutting end painted Florence orange. I got to be able to find it when they gets laid down.. I've never seen one was green.

Mac

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 08:38 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/01/20 08:39 PM

I have a 2 part threaded in the middle spud with the same cutting edge. I had 2 if them but my Son deposited 1 in the loon poop bottom of a beaver pond.
Ive since weldedmy last one to be a 1 piece.

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/02/20 12:05 AM

pictures

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/02/20 05:04 PM

[Linked Image]
Before

Re: Homemade ice spuds? - 01/02/20 05:06 PM

Touched it up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: martentrapper