Home

Coatimundi

Posted By: alaska viking

Coatimundi - 12/30/19 01:14 AM

Any trappers in Arizona trap or hunt coatimundi?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 02:12 AM

I saw one in Cancun.
Posted By: MIsparkz

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 02:30 AM

Never knew such a critter existed until I was watching Randy Newburg’s show Fresh Tracks. They had an episode where they shot one. Interesting animal!
Posted By: jbtrapsalot

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 02:44 AM

My partner and I caught 5 in Arizona 2 years ago.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 03:17 AM

a fellow got a picture of one on a game camera about 4 miles from me last year....
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Any trappers in Arizona trap or hunt coatimundi?

Coatimundi??? I had to google it. (But to answer your question "NO" never even heard of it). thing looks like a cross breed between a possum and a coon! smile

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 03:30 AM

I spent a little time in Payson, Az., and found sign, but never saw one.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 02:10 PM

Wierd animal for sure
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 02:36 PM

We skinned one In Fur School. A warden got a call about some strange critter and they ended up killing It and we skinned It. They figured It was some ones pet that escaped or was dumped.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 07:33 PM

Coatimundi are very common in the exotic pet trade.

I like when they reverse the film footage of coatimundi. They look like a brontosaurus.

They are definitely an animal you would want to gang set for. They frequently run in huge groups.

Keith
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 07:34 PM

That was awesome!!
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 07:53 PM

Feisty little critters. When I was in the army we would do 30 days of jungle training in Panama every year and those guys were everywhere. We had one get his head caught in a C-ration can one night and he proceeded to tear up our whole patrol base trying to get free while his buddies were going crazy - scared the crap out of everybody.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
Feisty little critters. When I was in the army we would do 30 days of jungle training in Panama every year and those guys were everywhere. We had one get his head caught in a C-ration can one night and he proceeded to tear up our whole patrol base trying to get free while his buddies were going crazy - scared the crap out of everybody.

Imagine the cases of surpressed PTSD that resulted from that there episode !!!!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Coatimundi - 12/30/19 11:49 PM

When we was a kid a neighbor had one as a pet, when it was riled it had a strange way of going after what was rilleing it up, it would attack kind of sideways with its mouth instead of front on like other animals

Back in the early 80 spent a winter in southern Arizona and had them getting into the trash on a regular basis and caught several in a live trap

I think they would be worth more on the taxi market then as fur, though they do have nice fur

Re: Coatimundi - 12/31/19 12:04 AM

They are rare on any "for sale" forum, and pricey, when available.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Coatimundi - 12/31/19 12:06 AM

Coatimundi mostly sell in the pet trade for around $800.00 each for bottle babies or adults for the normal reds. Whites are a few grand each.

If legal, you could probably make really good money selling wild caught coatimundi as breeders for pet coatimundi.

Rare colors of any fur bearer sell for huge money as breeders in the pet trade. I wish we could sell live, rare colored, wild caught furbearers from Ohio. If it's legal in your state, I would give it considerable consideration.

Keith
© 2024 Trapperman Forums