Home

I'm looking for one of these!

Posted By: squacks

I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 05:06 PM

[Linked Image]
Bloodroot flowers. These are the very first wild flowers to bloom in spring around here. A member of the poppy family and has medicinal uses.
These happen to be here in my yard so I can keep close watch for them...bout April.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 05:08 PM

have sold hundreds of pounds of it over the years and it is what i use for groundcover in my flower gardens.huge patches look amazing in blossom.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 05:10 PM

Why? What will you do with them? They grow wild in nearly every lowland here in Michigan.

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 06:03 PM

I do nothing with them. There appearance will just mean that spring will be here.

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
have sold hundreds of pounds of it over the years and it is what i use for groundcover in my flower gardens.huge patches look amazing in blossom.

In mass, that must be quite a welcome sight in spring.
I have a few patches of them that i planted here some years ago. They have spread. Sometimes they pop up pretty far from any established clump.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

Where do you get several hundred of pounds of them to sell?

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/04/20 07:24 PM

i've saw 2 acre patches in the woods.easy to dig and sought after.the best way to harvest is in well tilled beds.reseeds itself and can pick every 6 yrs.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 01:09 AM

Must be a more humid (higher precip) environment thing, I can't recall seeing them around here.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 02:51 AM

LT showed me them growing out back here in our woods. Never knew about them before that year.

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Must be a more humid (higher precip) environment thing, I can't recall seeing them around here.

Distribution and habitat
Bloodroot is native to eastern North America from Nova Scotia, Canada southward to Florida, United States, and west to Great Lakes and down the Mississippi embayment.

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 05:59 PM

i find some every year in spring gobbler season in the deeper valleys from those white blossoms.without the white blossoms it blends very well being short.

can collect the seed from the 2 and 3 year old plants and transplant elsewhere.seeds come mature about 50 days after the pods appear.

and is a great ground cover in place of mulch around perrenials.
Posted By: Boco

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 06:04 PM

You must look real cute with those flowers tucked behind your ears,pcr-you old hippie.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: I'm looking for one of these! - 01/05/20 06:31 PM

My bird dog had a tick on her head the other day.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums