Home

Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ?

Posted By: HOYT archery

Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:44 AM

Maybe this practice is common, but no retail store has ever asked me this before.

Hi everyone,

I took the family to Duluth Trading this afternoon. This is a new store to the area, only a few months old. Anyway we checked the place out, and we're ready to check out. So the nice clerk asks if we were new to the store, I replied yes.

The clerk told me "They like to start with some new customer information, incase you have a item to return and forgot your receipt". Sounds simple enough. I said "ok". The clerk then said " I will need to scan your Drivers license". I told her that's not going to happen. She was a nice lady and dropped the matter right there. No big deal.

What made me flinch was there First step for a new customer was DL scanning, at a Clothing store ! I'm sure that information is kept only to mail sales flyers, and other important things like that. RIGHT !

Thought you folks might enjoy this little surprise I had today. Or maybe you already knew of this practice.

Season is still open, keep trapping.

Drew
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 03:26 AM

I often thought about going there,but being just clothes keeps me away. They dont need that information,thats stupid.Its not required to make a transaction. How many times i go to a store and they ask for phone number and email. I flat out say no, they dont need that for a purchase and than proceed to pay without further issues.
Its all marketing, demographics, and selling information. Im sure there is plenty of people that go along with it though.
Posted By: white17

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 03:31 AM

They want your photo. Facial recognition is being used by more and more retail outfits. Facebook claims to have the largest photo database in the world and has made it available to retailers and law enforcement. The FBI has even scanned the DMV records of 22 states so far. DHS claims they will use FR to board all flights in the country by 2023

Fairly recent article:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/the-future-of-facial-recognition-in-america.html
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 03:45 AM

Do not know what they are using facial recognition for. Retail does not use even simple procedures when taking credit card transactions. I can count on one had the number of retailers that ask for ID when I present a credit card. They hardly ever check to see the signature on the back even though they should not accept unsigned cards. They are certainly not using it to combat credit card fraud.
Posted By: white17

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 03:48 AM

They are selling it to others
Posted By: DWC

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 03:53 AM

Id love it if they checked my ID every time i swiped my credit card, which is for most purchases. The amount of credit card theft/fraud in stores is astronomical, and it could easily be prevented by an ID check.
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 04:11 AM

They scan your DL to create your customer accout. That way they don't have to manually enter your name and address. They may use it to sell info but who knows. I go there a lot and like the close. I told them no the first time there and they just added everything manually.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 04:18 AM

similarly the other day at costco they swiped my DL but I was buying alcohol. I thought it was strange. Not sure what the purpose of scanning a DL serves
Posted By: Boco

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 04:19 AM

Identity theft.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 04:32 AM

I tell everyone no
My dl is mine and only an officer gets to take it for any reason. Other then an ffl dealer i guess i do show it too them. Ill leave a store before they get to scan it or enter any of the info on it.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Identity theft.

I agree.

I have had this happen to me. If you have ever have been a victim of identity theft , it is a nightmare.

I refuse to comply. Why does anyone need any of this information for a simple purchase?

I have asked to scan my license for a package of cigarettes , cell phone charger and more.
In the case of a cell phone charger which I was picking up for a friend and the charger did not fit my own phone at a Sprint store , I told the employee it was not for me. They refused a cash sale. I informed them that I was not going to allow them to scan my license.
Then , in a louder than normal voice I told them ( so everyone in the store could hear - not shouting or causing a scene) asked them if they wanted the sale or not. They refused. Again , in a louder than normal voice told them they could watch me to walk out of the store as I held the $20 clear in the air for all to see. Told them that their customer policy stunk as I walked out in clear view with the $20 held high. I hope the manager saw it on in store CCTV.

A couple of other people walked out too.

* voting in local elections helps you out more than national elections, think about it and make it to the polls *
Posted By: Boco

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 05:54 AM

Just tell them you don't drive.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
similarly the other day at costco they swiped my DL but I was buying alcohol. I thought it was strange. Not sure what the purpose of scanning a DL serves

The new licenses everything is in the bar code on the back. They can bust a fake in no time flat because your picture pops up on some of the systems. If having your driver's license scanned is freaking you out now, it's only going to get worse. They already have your info from your credit card or debit card transaction anyways. It just is what it is these days.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 06:20 AM

I have also been asked for my license in a Walgreens to purchase a package of cigarette lighters. I showed the clerk my AARP card. That was not good enough. They refused the sale. I left the lighters on the counter and the other things I wished to purchase and walked out.

I like Walmart's policy better , if you buy some age restricted products like spray paint , carburetor cleaner or such , a prompt comes up on the cash register asking the employee if you are over 18-21-26 or whatever is store policy and the employee makes the call. Even if you are close to the age , they can just ask to see the license to just verify without scanning it , that is OK.

Do not comply. If enough people do this and more sales are lost , corporate policies will change.

*vote in every election you are able to , including primary elections *
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 06:26 AM

The next time a store asks for your drivers license or state issued photo ID, loudly proclaim in an indignant voice that the clerk is a "Racist" several times. Then explain to them at high volume that a repressive, Caucasian, paternal society makes it near impossible for a person of my race to get a drivers license or state photo ID. If you actually are an obvious minority, you have won at this point. If you appear to be whiter than even elizabeth warren, be prepared to stay on the attack. Hopefully the befuddled clerk at this point will say something like, "But you're white." If they do, knock them out the ring with a statement like, "How dare you deny me my heritage!!!" and shout "RACIST!!!" repeatedly until the store gives you free stuff to go away. laugh

Keith
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 07:52 AM

Soon we will all be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 08:56 AM

Had a store ask to scan Dl for purchase of lottery ticket. Figured it was for age verification.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 09:28 AM

When you pay in cash and they want to see your dl, you know it's a scam of some sort. I'll never forget years ago when i didn't have a driver's license, my wife got a newer car and they wanted to see my driver's license i told the car dealer to go to ---- . And also never wanted my name on the car title. They wanted the money though, so it all went threw with out me on anything, if they took the money out of it they wont do it at all.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
I have also been asked for my license in a Walgreens to purchase a package of cigarette lighters. I showed the clerk my AARP card. That was not good enough. They refused the sale. I left the lighters on the counter and the other things I wished to purchase and walked out.

I like Walmart's policy better , if you buy some age restricted products like spray paint , carburetor cleaner or such , a prompt comes up on the cash register asking the employee if you are over 18-21-26 or whatever is store policy and the employee makes the call. Even if you are close to the age , they can just ask to see the license to just verify without scanning it , that is OK.

Do not comply. If enough people do this and more sales are lost , corporate policies will change.

AARP, really? I would not belong to that liberal cult, check em out.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 12:42 PM

You're supposed to be ok with handing over your id to buy a cell phone charger or a package of lighters, but DON'T YOU DARE THINK YOU NEED AN ID TO VOTE IN THIS COUNTRY, YOU REPRESSIVE PIG!
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:19 PM

Ya'll should just drop a stool sample on counter tell them identify you with that...Show em what your made of.. eek

Mac
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
You're supposed to be ok with handing over your id to buy a cell phone charger or a package of lighters, but DON'T YOU DARE THINK YOU NEED AN ID TO VOTE IN THIS COUNTRY, YOU REPRESSIVE PIG!

This is what is baffling???
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by adam m

The new licenses everything is in the bar code on the back. They can bust a fake in no time flat because your picture pops up on some of the systems. If having your driver's license scanned is freaking you out now, it's only going to get worse. They already have your info from your credit card or debit card transaction anyways. It just is what it is these days.

Its only going to get worse is Right.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:49 PM

And they get your password to enter Trapperman off that magnetic stripe......oh no mad
Posted By: 9wire

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Ya'll should just drop a stool sample on counter tell them identify you with that...Show em what your made of.. eek

Mac

Lol!
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 01:56 PM

How can they legally enforce that? What happen to legal tender, dl is not legal tender and necessary for purchase
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:04 PM

I went to a local RKO a while back to buy some lye and the clerk says I need your full name, dob, and what your intentions are. I said, what? Then she repeats herself and then says we will also need your DL. The Manager was nearby so I called him over and ask what was going on, all I want to do is strip some cast iron cookware. He said if I wanted the product I would have to comply and added that if I looked high, he would refuse the sale. I just walked away shaking my head and went up the road and bought it at another store that didn't ask one question. It's getting ridiculous!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:11 PM

I guess that's because lye can be used in the production of methamphetamine. I ran into the same problem a few years ago.

What I did was go to a plumber (my main plumbing sub-contractor) and he got a pail of the good stuff for me. It is readily available at plumbing supply houses.

Another example of a feel-good, do-nothing law that inconveniences law-abiding citizens while doing nothing to curb meth production. I guess some politician somewhere got a feather in his cap for making this law though.
Posted By: K52

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by Cragar

AARP, really? I would not belong to that liberal cult, check em out.

Cragar, being an NRA Benefactor member and also belonging to the anti gun AARP just doesn't make sense.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:16 PM

Sam's club does this. I paid membership to buy cheap gas. When in the store you get checked out twice. Even going out. I asked why so much security? Was told non members can come in and buy alcohol and visit the deli. My last membership with them. How does photo ID work on phone or online purchases?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Duluth trading wants to scan my DL ? - 01/05/20 02:36 PM

I refuse to buy from companies that have crappy annoying ads, their ads stink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums