Home

Everything in the book - Arrest

Posted By: Actor

Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 01:48 PM

This article was in todays paper... it seems this bad guy had a streak of bad luck....

[Linked Image]

Garry-
Posted By: Finster

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 01:54 PM

Good for him. The fines don't seem very high though with all of those charges.
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 01:59 PM

Funny how they can make up ten different charges for a guy jack-lighting a deer out of season! What good's a hunting license if the season's closed!

Serves him right though, one should always follow the law.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 01:59 PM

I wish Pennsylvania would adopt Ohio's regs when it comes to breaking the law, including trespassing regs.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
I wish Pennsylvania would adopt Ohio's regs when it comes to breaking the law, including trespassing regs.

I thought they had them, they just aren’t enforced.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:04 PM

We have them... PGC won't enforce them unless a hunting violation occurred as well.
Police..... Just won't enforce them.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:05 PM

The fine schedule is fairly light for wildlife unfortunately. I think minimum restitution for free is 500 and price skyrockets if it gets near or above 140 b&c points
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:12 PM

Bet you all that are high fine fans would be on here complaining if they socked you with a $500.00 fine for a faulty headlight.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:15 PM

Sounds like he was wearing his seat belt, though! grin

Chris
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:17 PM

Good for the Poacher... Lock em' up
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:24 PM

Did they take his gun and or vehicle?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:32 PM

Well with those charges that dear boy is not entering Canada anytime soon, and a lot of EU country's.
A firearms violation puts you on the No Fly List.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:33 PM

If your going to play you got to pay, and he did. Great JMO

**** In Michigan you can apply for absentee ballet anytime ****
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:35 PM

Why can't our immigration laws be enforced with the same enthusiasm?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:41 PM

What good will taking his hunting privileges away for three years do? He's already proven that he'll hunt whether he's supposed to or not. Lock him up for three years instead.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

Poaching is a felony here
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by thebeaverguy

Think about it. Who is it easier to take money from.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Originally Posted by thebeaverguy

Think about it. Who is it easier to take money from.

My first thought is that you are even more cynical than me and my second thought is that you are sure as heck not wrong.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
Did they take his gun and or vehicle?

I don't know how it is now, but back when I was a CO, an officer could only seize and implement or vehicle. Then at the hearing or trial, you presented the court with a request to either have the seizures returned or confiscated by the court. If it was to return implement, etc., then it was handled at that time. If it was for confiscation, that was another matter and handled at a later hearing. So I imagine, the paper wouldn't take the time to bother printing it. But, my opinion is since he got jail time and there was only a temporary suspension of 3 years of licenses, there was no confiscation.

Every judge had their own interpretation of the regulations, as well as how he wanted things enforced in his court. The first thing when I went into the county I was in, was called into have a meeting with the judge. One of his rules was about posting bond for minor things, like fishing without a license. If the person that was cited for no license lived in the county or and adjacent county and there were no extenuating circumstances, then they would be permitted to not post a bond, and be permitted to appear in court or post a bond prior to court and forfeit that bond in lieu of going to court. If the person lived outside of the county or adjacent counties, they were to be taken forthwith and post a bond or sit in lockup until it was posted or until court was in cession and make their appearance. All bonds were cash... no credit cards.

Garry-
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 03:49 PM

Being cynical is easy but if this guy was busting deer in your hunting grounds I bet you would not be so sympathetic then. LOL FYI I have seen people trying to substance hunt illegally that were given community service instead of cash fines, going “after” the poor would not be a great plan in most cases.

I would guess from the charges it was not this guys first rodeo in the poaching game and his layer sucked but most likely he pled guilty to all charges rather then plea bargain them down. Stop making excuses for stupid

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Being cynical is easy but if this guy was busting deer in your hunting grounds I bet you would not be so sympathetic then. LOL FYI I have seen people trying to substance hunt illegally that were given community service instead of cash fines, going “after” the poor would not be a great plan in most cases.

I would guess from the charges it was not this guys first rodeo in the poaching game and his layer sucked but most likely he pled guilty to all charges rather then plea bargain them down. Stop making excuses for stupid

I would guess that it's his first offense, he's poor and the State wants to both gain excessive revenue and by high fines in outdoors related incidents, deter hunting, trapping and fishing.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 04:00 PM

LOL OK!

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 04:01 PM

LOL OK!

I thought we were playing the guessing game, LOL OK! grin

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 04:10 PM

My views came from my experiences maybe yours did also. wink
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

X2 and he should be banned for 10 years or more.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 04:51 PM

My views came from my experiences maybe yours did also. wink

As a matter of fact I have experienced a lot of people who guess and insinuate lol. My point is that it seems as though outdoor related fines are increasing. Lets face it, less and less faculty in DNR's and DOW's are actual hunters, trappers and fishermen. Imo, I believe heavy fines may be another tool to deter people from either continuing to hunt and trap or taking it up. Example, what if you accidentally left a slug in your pocket during muzzleloading season and the fine was 2000 bucks? I will explain, before you insinuate that I don't believe in following the law, I do believe in following the law and punishment according to the crime. Let's fine a guy 20,000 bucks for shooting a big buck, but let a pothead get court cost and 8 counseling sessions for growing a patch of weed.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 05:29 PM

It seems the idea that only poor people poach or spotlight is nuts our biggest group of abusers are far from that. If the guy pleaded guilty to all charges then he gets all charges then in most cases. If he admits it he gets it that’s what he agreed to, those fines are there to discourage that behavior that takes from everyone not to encourage it.

You can do the apple oranges all day long it’s a endless game.

Posted By: walleyed

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Let's fine a guy 20,000 bucks for shooting a big buck, but let a pothead get court cost and 8 counseling sessions for growing a patch of weed.

Guy should get 20 years hard labor for growing a patch of weed, and then hang him !!! laugh
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 07:53 PM

it seems pretty wrong to me to punish a guy more severely for poaching a deer than he would get for shooting a calf to eat. Even if he is just worshipping antlers. Nobody owns a deer
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 08:23 PM

I tried to find how many deer he poached, but all I could find was a previous arrest.

"Jensen R. Schmitt, 21, Newark, driving under a non-pay or judgment suspension."

How many deer did he poach?

Keith
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
What good will taking his hunting privileges away for three years do? He's already proven that he'll hunt whether he's supposed to or not. Lock him up for three years instead.

Lock him up for 3 year and cost the tax payers money over a deer? That has got to be the stupidest thing ever. If he had killed 20 of them and left them lay with out eating them maybe do some time. But spot lighting a deer and get 3 years in jail is nuts. It's a deer, not the end of the world. Dang thing probley would have ran across a road and kill some poor family anyway
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 09:40 PM

20,000 some deer are reported hit by vehicles every year in Ohio at around $4000.00 damage per accident. Close to 2 dozen people are killed by deer collisions every year in Ohio. They do even more damage to crops and landscaping.

Keith

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I tried to find how many deer he poached, but all I could find was a previous arrest.

"Jensen R. Schmitt, 21, Newark, driving under a non-pay or judgment suspension."

How many deer did he poach?

Keith

I don't see in the charges where he actually killed a deer Keith, he was trying to apparently.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/05/20 11:21 PM

I don't see in the charges where he actually killed a deer Keith, he was trying to apparently.

" failure to check game" In OH do you check game if you come home empty handed?

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

" failure to check game" In OH do you check game if you come home empty handed?

Yep, your right MJM, I didn't see that thank you. I wonder now like Keith, how many.
Posted By: Backbreaker

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28
Originally Posted by loosegoose

Lock him up for 3 year and cost the tax payers money over a deer? That has got to be the stupidest thing ever. If he had killed 20 of them and left them lay with out eating them maybe do some time. But spot lighting a deer and get 3 years in jail is nuts. It's a deer, not the end of the world. Dang thing probley would have ran across a road and kill some poor family anyway

Agree whole heartedly.
Posted By: B. Shope

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 02:05 AM

2 generations from now poaching will be the norm
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by B. Shope
2 generations from now poaching will be the norm

3 generation ago it was the norm. No one cared about only big horns and all the land wasnt leased up. When I was a kid I remember hearing the old men talk about when they were young pulling in the peanut fields and killing 5 or 6 deer going and skinning them and feed all there family's. Guess back then when there was alot of farming they deer was very hard on the crops.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 11:47 AM

Actor, You mentioned he had bad luck. I don't agree. Sounds to me like he made bad choices. I don't see where luck had anything to do with it !

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 12:14 PM

I will drop a dime on anybody I see spotlighting. It is dangerous. Poaching when I was a kid was 100% about food. People talked about antlers but not like today. Nobody would pay thousands of dollars for a set of antlers that had not been entered into the "book" like they will today. It doesn't say anything good about modern deer hunting when people are willing to pay huge sums of money to get their name into a book by buying illegally gained antlers.

Honest people will pay huge sums of money to get their name into it lawfully. I don't understand the need for validation by so many.

When I called KS fish and wildlife to complain about the high cost of tags here, I was told hunting deer for food was wrong. You can still buy multiple tags though. Pretty sad when the state agency tasked for setting limits and fees is only concerned about more money.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I will drop a dime on anybody I see spotlighting. It is dangerous. Poaching when I was a kid was 100% about food. People talked about antlers but not like today. Nobody would pay thousands of dollars for a set of antlers that had not been entered into the "book" like they will today. It doesn't say anything good about modern deer hunting when people are willing to pay huge sums of money to get their name into a book by buying illegally gained antlers.

Honest people will pay huge sums of money to get their name into it lawfully. I don't understand the need for validation by so many.

When I called KS fish and wildlife to complain about the high cost of tags here, I was told hunting deer for food was wrong. You can still buy multiple tags though. Pretty sad when the state agency tasked for setting limits and fees is only concerned about more money.

As was said earlier, in a couple generations poaching will be the norm. Why? Because the everyday Joe already can't afford land and the States will continue to raise prices on deer tags and hunting license under the guise of "fill in the blank". Us poorfolk will be priced out of it (just like we are now with leasing) and heavy fines for any infraction is part of the plan. Weaponizing prices and fines is a way to meet the agenda, it's the same strategy as making ammo cost to high to afford.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 02:47 PM

Maybe someone could write a book about people robbing from the rich and giving to the poor.

One time I made a statement (not married to it ) at church when one of the people had hit a deer one night going home. I said the state should pay for it. Then someone said Why? I said if a farmer let his cows run on the road he would be fined, sued and what ever. They said yes but the state don't own the deer. I said, just go out and shoot a deer and see who owns it. All in jest of course.

Well novels about Robin Hood and the Sherwood forest has already flooded the market, but many are still living in the romance of the idea. All the way from the idea of killing a deer to feed the poor, to getting by from selling dope and even to governments robbing from the rich to give to the poor. Nothing new in this old world, just changes in the fashion.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Bowden
Actor, You mentioned he had bad luck. I don't agree. Sounds to me like he made bad choices. I don't see where luck had anything to do with it !

I was being Facetious when I said he had Bad Luck… I didn't lead the state in arrests one year for a sweat and soft guy.

Garry-

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

I find that astounding! I think, or rather I hope you got that persons personal opinion, not what the view of the DNR is.

Delaware encourages people to donate deer to feed the hungry.

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Hunting/Pages/SportsmenAgainstHunger.aspx

Although, they did raise the price for additional doe tags from $10 to $20 which I don't agree with. That is after I have used my four antlerless tags, my hunters choice tag and my quality buck tag.

Personally, I also hunt in Maryland and could never kill enough deer to "tag out". If I remember correctly without looking I think I could kill something like 47 deer split between all seasons and methods.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 03:05 PM

Wildlife are held in the public trust. They belong to everyone until you legally harvest the animals.

Lot of poaching now is kids just having fun shooting anything they see from the road.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Wildlife are held in the public trust. They belong to everyone until you legally harvest the animals.

Lot of poaching now is kids just having fun shooting anything they see from the road.

Then North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.

https://www.fws.gov/hunting/north-american-model-of-wildlife-conservation.html

For the win

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 03:12 PM

$45 for a deer tag here and $80-$100 to process it if you don’t do your own and they wonder why people are not buying tags now.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 03:23 PM

$45 for a deer tag here and $80-$100 to process it if you don’t do your own and they wonder why people are not buying tags now.

Goodness! So you don't get any tags with your license purchase?

Processors here charge between $60-$80 for basic cut here also, if you want sausage, jerky or snack sticks it is more.

If you kill a few deer it pays to process your own.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Goodness! So you don't get any tags with your license purchase?

Processors here charge between $60-$80 for basic cut here also, if you want sausage, jerky or snack sticks it is more.

If you kill a few deer it pays to process your own.

Heck my combo fishing/hunting, trapping and State duck stamp is almost $100 without any big game tags. Higher fees then in all the surrounding States the last time I checked. Several States offer a lot more for less.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/06/20 10:49 PM

I told the lady who answered the phone I wanted to talk to one of the people responsible for a 52 dollar deer tag on top the 25 dollar hunting license.

I was pretty upset after talking to him and wish I could remember the name. I asked him what made him think a deer was worth 52 dollars and a turkey tag cost more than a dressed domestic turkey in the grocery store. He told me it wasn't about the value of the animal but the value of the hunting experience. So I asked him about people that hunted for food. He said the deer were almost exterminated around the turn of the century we couldnt allow people to hunt for food. I asked if he meant the early 1900's and he said yes. Now i'm pretty mad and said I think he is talking about people starving in the dust bowl that ate any survivors.

You can buy doe tags for 22 dollars, 3-4 im not sure, but only after you buy the 52 dollar either sex tag.

And yes, he absolutely said hunting for food is not something people today should be doing.

hunting fishing trapping in ks is 75 dollars. some years i buy a dove stamp they are 50 cents or something. i dont ever buy a duck stamp cause i dont like to eat ducks and geese.

whether that cityfied moron likes it or not i hunt for food. yes i enjoy hunting but i enjoy being outside without killing also.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/07/20 09:30 PM

Many meth busts in my area have resulted in the confiscation of many an antler. They are obviously not interested in the venison and they can stay up all night. The demand for antler is the root cause, more money. I can't imagine busting someone who needs meat.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/07/20 09:32 PM

Many meth busts in my area have resulted in the confiscation of many an antler. They are obviously not interested in the venison and they can stay up all night. The demand for antler is the root cause, more money. I can't imagine busting someone who needs meat.

Re: Everything in the book - Arrest - 01/07/20 09:33 PM

Sorry for that double.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums