Home

gray fox

Posted By: wamp

gray fox - 01/05/20 02:59 PM

We don't have a huge population of gray fox in our area but every gray that I have caught, four in total in five years have all been males.
I have remade the set and never have I caught a female.
Posted By: coop

Re: gray fox - 01/05/20 03:13 PM

Often catch a pair here, usually within a day or 2 of each other in a close, clean set... 1 male, 1 female, not always, but frequently. Prettiest animal in the woods IMO... lot of fight in a little package too.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: gray fox - 01/05/20 03:57 PM

Good cacth bill used to be a lot of them now like you cacth one a year. Haven't caught one this year.
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: gray fox - 01/05/20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by coop
Often catch a pair here, usually within a day or 2 of each other in a close, clean set... 1 male, 1 female, not always, but frequently. Prettiest animal in the woods IMO... lot of fight in a little package too.

first one i ever caught. i walked up on in the dark and thought a bear was coming at me. fierce little sucker!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: gray fox - 01/05/20 06:01 PM

hunt em at night,i've had em hit me and under the truck growling amongst other things.

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 10:51 AM

Coop I agree they are the prettiest in the woods.
Starting to see more in the area in the last 3 or 4 years one was hit on the road last week here in town.
Posted By: 9wire

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 05:25 PM

I catch a bunch of greys for the live market and handle every one by hand (no catch pole) whether in a trap or snare... They are pretty gritty while in the trap/snare but once you get your hands on them they just sill up worse than a possum... Never been bit (yet) and have handled 100s...
Posted By: Malcolm31

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 10:52 PM

Still trying to catch our first grey!!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 11:25 PM

They were down a little here this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: walleyed

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
hunt em at night,i've had em hit me and under the truck growling amongst other things.

You night hunt from the truck ?

If you'd just get out the truck, you could lie on your belly to choot them !!! laugh

w
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: gray fox - 01/06/20 11:48 PM

Never caught one before this year. Caught the male, remade set and caught coyote(target) 2 nights later in that set along with a female gray in a remake that I caught a coyote in the night before about 100 yards from where I caught the male. I haven't reset the area since because I'm worried about catching another gray. Those 2 will get tanned!
Posted By: Desertambition

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 12:56 AM

Dang Lazarus, that is a few fox.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 02:54 AM

Wamp, the only one I ever caught up there was on the east side of town. Before the Blemker farm by dads place got cleared, we used to have a litter of reds and greys on our farm nearly every year. Picked up 2 roadkill greys by the farm but only ever caught the 1.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 03:24 AM

That is one awesome picture Lazarus!
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 03:51 AM

Haha Tracy, that’s my season catch.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 10:54 AM

Would’ve never dreamed no grey fox or rats one day. Greys were actually listed as a varmint instead of a furbearer here in the early seventies.

Re: gray fox - 01/07/20 11:01 AM

trapperbless Millers had a momma red and two little ones in the storm drain three years ago they stayed around for about a month.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums