Home

Chance of surviving wolf attack?

Posted By: shortliner16

Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 10:48 PM

Alright, my boss asked me a question that I think will get some interesting answers.
Could you survive a one on one attack from a 100lb timber wolf and only one of you is coming out alive?
My boss is convinced he could take the wolf, but he is a wrestler so has a skewed version of his real life strength and ability lol.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:07 PM

Possible sure. Maybe not 100% likely though. The minute those teeth sink in and your nerves get damaged, the brain may not focus on the task at hand and focus more on the get loose and “flight” mode will kick in. This will limit your abilities to take care of the wolf. The damage inflicted could render your limb useless leading to another issue. Beat advice I could give is: give them the weak hand. K9’s tend to have fairly thin skulls in general. Use the strong hand to bash the skull. If you can daze him, you’re still in the game.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by wvmntnhick
Possible sure. Maybe not 100% likely though. The minute those teeth sink in and your nerves get damaged, the brain may not focus on the task at hand and focus more on the get loose and “flight” mode will kick in. This will limit your abilities to take care of the wolf. The damage inflicted could render your limb useless leading to another issue. Beat advice I could give is: give them the weak hand. K9’s tend to have fairly thin skulls in general. Use the strong hand to bash the skull. If you can daze him, you’re still in the game.

Yes!

My thoughts exactly. I Cary a fixed blade after being attacked once (pit bull, not wolf just in case boco is reading). But after that attack it is my plan to give the next one my week hand while ending the fight with one quick stroke!?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:16 PM

The first thing a wolf would do is knock you down then have his way with you.
You wouldn't have time to get your knife out of your pocket.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
The first thing a wolf would do is knock you down then have his way with you.

You probably wouldn't even be focused on the one about to get ya?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:21 PM

With a club for a weapon maybe, otherwise, I don't think so. And I don't think a knife would be very effective against an attacking wolf either.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:21 PM

Oh, no weapons either. Forgot that part
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:23 PM

Sounds like no fun!

Chris
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:28 PM

It would not be fun for sure and yes injuries are part of the issue but as to the question why do they typically hunt in packs? Humans can use tools and almost anything can be used as a tool when needed.

Bryce
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:28 PM

With a knife or stone, my thought maybe. Without some kind of weapon I'm not sure how you would ever dispatch it or hurt it bad enough to stop it. I wouldn't think you could break a wolf's neck. Plus what I've watched when they take on larger, more dangerous animals they are very good at avoiding blows until the victim is too wore out to provide much resistance. But I dont know that much about wolves.
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:33 PM

Easy. You stick your hand down its throat grab its heart and rip it out. You could do the same by using the back door but that can get messy.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:36 PM

1v1 with no weapons you are going to die most likely. Go on youtube and watch 50 pound Belgian Malinous hit a full grown man and take them off their feet. If you could have a good stick or rock your odds would be much better.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:40 PM

Well, when your boss has turned tail and is running away, the wolf would probably hamstring him bringing him to the ground. Then he would most likely start eating him starting with the buttocks. I would be interested in seeing the video.

On the other hand if your boss actually stands up to it his best bet would be to let the wolf swallow his hand and arm, then grab it's stomach and turn it inside out.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by virgil1972
Easy. You stick your hand down its throat grab its heart and rip it out. You could do the same by using the back door but that can get messy.

I think a wolf will decide how far your hand goes. And if it got any further than his molars, it will be because he swallowed it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:49 PM

Once he got a hold of you by The throat or back of the neck or crotch you would be done.Wolves have enough musculature in their skull to give the jaw a crushing bite,they can crush moose bones.
If I had a choice of weapon(other than a firearm) to face down a wolf it would be a stout club.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by virgil1972

I think a wolf will decide how far your hand goes. And if it got any further than his molars, it will be because he swallowed it.

I'm only guessing... but I think you may be on to something!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/07/20 11:50 PM

Sure.Bang......next
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:08 AM

I would not want to go hand to hand combat with a house cat which was dedicated to killing me. A wolf? That's just stupid.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:13 AM

Nothing a hammer can't kill. So far!
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Once he got a hold of you by The throat or back of the neck or crotch you would be done.Wolves have enough musculature in their skull to give the jaw a crushing bite,they can crush moose bones.
If I had a choice of weapon(other than a firearm) to face down a wolf it would be a stout club.

Why would you disrespect a wolf and get in its face in the first place? It's probably a pack elder.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:20 AM

You definitely would have to respect and take into account a dangerous animals ability to do you some harm if you wanted to have a chance to come out on the winning end of an encounter.In some cases a strategic retreat may be in order.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I would not want to go hand to hand combat with a house cat which was dedicated to killing me. A wolf? That's just stupid.

No kidding!

You reminded me of my squirrel encounter.

Yeah

I think I'd just make sure it bit my head 1st!

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:23 AM

As far as no weapons not going to happen as I always have a gun.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by shortliner16
Oh, no weapons either. Forgot that part

Well than....no
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:27 AM

Could you survive a one on one attack from a 100lb timber wolf and only one of you is coming out alive?

Goldilocks, and the three little pigs made out all right !!! laugh

w
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:29 AM

I think it depends a lot on your mentality. I used to deliver newspapers as a kid. Had to deal a lot with large dogs. Mostly non-customer dogs. One day I was not in a good mood during delivery.  This one house I passed had a German shepherd that used to harass me. That day I wasn't having it. I planted my Herman Survivor boot right into its chest and lifted the dog right off the ground.  Its owner had a fit and threatened to call the police  , I said go ahead. Sited the fact we have a leash law and I was in the street and not on his property. Police were not called.  That dog since that would not get within 10 feet of me. It was afraid of me after that.

I am not afraid of any dog. Think about it , all a dog or other canine can do is bite you. You have two arms and two legs. You can do a lot to a canine that they have no defensive recourse.  Even if a pit bull clamps down on your leg , you can choke it to death. If it clamps down on your arm , you can kick it or crush it's ribcage with a knee or your whole body weight just like a WWE wrestler.  You can even pick the dog up and body slam it. Grabbing a dogs legs and ripping with great force in the wrong direction to dislocate or break its legs is another option. Eyes are another good target. Getting close in as in a pit bull clamping onto you would be a fatal mistake for the animal. I would want to close in as possible as opposed to a bite and retreat attack. 

Dogs/canines are a lot more fragile than you would think. Breaking a canine's leg is easy. Breaking a dogs neck is probably difficult but if you grab it's head and twist as hard as you can in one direction until it is spun 180° or more is going to cause damage or enough pain to get it to stop attacking. The key is mentality. You need to absolutely go SAVAGE on the animal. It is going savage on you. A bite and retreat attack allows you enough time/space to acquire anything to use as a weapon. 

If police ever sent a dog onto me , I would be facing charges for killing the dog.

I have 2 arms , 2 legs and a much larger brain. I can also bite. I am also an apex level predator.
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:29 AM

Well if your boss thinks he can take the wolf, i'd sure like to have a front row seat to the show !

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:33 AM

On second thought no weapons so the wolf can't use it's teeth.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
  Even if a pit bull clamps down on your leg , you can choke it to death.

If you get the opportunity to try this with a 100# pit bull I want to see the video.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:40 AM

If I could I would put my thumb and middle finger in his eyes as far as I could. The eyes are the best & closed weakest avenue to there brain. JMO

**** Voting makes a difference ++++

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan

If you get the opportunity to try this with an 100# pit bull I want to see the video.

There will be no video. I do not want to do this , I will need stitches. It is also considered animal cruelty.

This is just purely fight to survive. There are no rules. Choking a pit bull would be difficult , however crushing it larynx is probably going to happen just enough to get it to release.

Kill or be killed. Be the bigger predator to survive. It is all about mindset.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:55 AM

I think it depends a lot on your mentality. I used to deliver newspapers as a kid. Had to deal a lot with large dogs. Mostly non-customer dogs. One day I was not in a good mood during delivery.  This one house I passed had a German shepherd that used to harass me. That day I wasn't having it. I planted my Herman Survivor boot right into its chest and lifted the dog right off the ground.  Its owner had a fit and threatened to call the police  , I said go ahead. Sited the fact we have a leash law and I was in the street and not on his property. Police were not called.  That dog since that would not get within 10 feet of me. It was afraid of me after that.

I am not afraid of any dog. Think about it , all a dog or other canine can do is bite you. You have two arms and two legs. You can do a lot to a canine that they have no defensive recourse.  Even if a pit bull clamps down on your leg , you can choke it to death. If it clamps down on your arm , you can kick it or crush it's ribcage with a knee or your whole body weight just like a WWE wrestler.  You can even pick the dog up and body slam it. Grabbing a dogs legs and ripping with great force in the wrong direction to dislocate or break its legs is another option. Eyes are another good target. Getting close in as in a pit bull clamping onto you would be a fatal mistake for the animal. I would want to close in as possible as opposed to a bite and retreat attack. 

Dogs/canines are a lot more fragile than you would think. Breaking a canine's leg is easy. Breaking a dogs neck is probably difficult but if you grab it's head and twist as hard as you can in one direction until it is spun 180° or more is going to cause damage or enough pain to get it to stop attacking. The key is mentality. You need to absolutely go SAVAGE on the animal. It is going savage on you. A bite and retreat attack allows you enough time/space to acquire anything to use as a weapon. 

If police ever sent a dog onto me , I would be facing charges for killing the dog.

I have 2 arms , 2 legs and a much larger brain. I can also bite. I am also an apex level predator.

The problem is that you gained your confidence by kicking a pet dog.

I guarantee you would never kick a wolf.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:55 AM

If you get the opportunity to try this with a 100# pit bull I want to see the video.

It would go viral
Posted By: Ken Mclellan

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 12:59 AM

Slim... about 30 years ago I had a timber wolf for a pet. ( yes, it was legal) I got him as a pup and spent a lot of time with him inside and outside of his oversized kennel. Whatever he ate was gone in seconds even though there wasn’t any competition for the food. He inhaled everything.. only chewing enough to swallow whatever it was.

One winter day I went into his kennel and he immediately lunged and pulled me down. He was viciously shaking and pulling me around on the ground. Before I even realized what was happening it was over. He ripped the fur trimmed hood and a large part of my parka off in a few seconds. The fur trim was all it took to trigger that reaction, if he wanted to harm or kill me I’m pretty sure he could’ve very easily. And that was only one wolf.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:00 AM

Get the shovels out its getting a bit deep in here,lol.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:05 AM

Jurrasic , this is not the only time I have gone toe to toe with a large dog. It has happened a few times , not exactly proud of it either.
Had a guy I know who thought his dog was the meanest on the block. I told him I was not afraid of it. He commanded the dog to attack me.

Making a long story short , 10 seconds later , he was pulling me off the dog as I went nuts on it.

I am not afraid of any dog. That is the key. No fear. Just attack with everything you have.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:07 AM

a wolf would be a handful. could bust the top of his nose like you do a coyote. make a fist and club it with the side of it on the bridge of his nose. then bust its skull with a limb or rock or whatever else you can get hold of. maybe. you would need some medical care. might still die if you cant stop the bleeding.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:21 AM

Nope!

Tried!!!!

Poked it in the eye and jumped in the back of a truck.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:30 AM

Had a big male red chow grab my left arm and pulled me to my knees years ago. Luckily (for me) I took a wild swing and my thumb went in his eye, he let go instantly and wanted nothing else.
Doubtful that would work on a wolf but hey, the eyes are the groin of the head.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:35 AM

HA HA-I remember a buddy of mine snared a big wolf beside the rr track by the dump.
We stopped the motor car,the big wolf was still alive in the snare but wound up pretty tight.
Glen asked me to hand him a pick handle.Glen was about 6-2 200lb half Cree and strong as a bull.He wound up with all he had and hit the wolf hard right on top of the head.The wolf just stood there,and blinked about 4 times.His legs didn't even buckle a bit.
Went back to the bunkhouse and got a gun.
If you have ever skinned a big mature wolf there is a heck of a lot of thick muscle on top of the head.
Posted By: Nayr

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:43 AM

Liam Neeson did.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 02:32 AM

You ever see someone who has never been in a fight, fight a professional fighter? Well the dogs your talking about are the people who have never fought. The wolves or a pit that fights hogs are the professional. Not even in the same league.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 02:38 AM

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2013/09/05/kazakh-man-kills-wolf-with-bare-hands-a27404

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 02:42 AM

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-kill-an...on-of-killing-me-with-just-my-bare-hands
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 02:46 AM

Pretty sure I'll never be in an area that has wolves without having a weapon of some sort on me, so I'll have to break your your no weapon rule.

I think the main determing factor is whether it's an ambush or whether you can see the wolf coming. The former, your chances would be fine.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 03:04 AM

Wolf will win. Best chance us to wait until he lunges with its mouth open. What you do is stick your arm down it’s throat until you feel the base of its tail. Grab hold and give a yank with everything you’ve got trying Also to use the wolf’s momentum. If done properly the wolf should be pulled inside out. Seriously though I’d choose a bat or stout club like boco said. Aim for the nose.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 03:13 AM

Well I 'm with Boco, and Ryan Mc leod dogs fox coyotes and I'm sure a wolf the nose is the sweet spot.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy

Why would you disrespect a wolf and get in its face in the first place? It's probably a pack elder.

Disrespect a wolf???? LOL!
Posted By: TrapperDR

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 03:29 AM

Having been in many wolf fights, I can say that there is a tried and true way of beating your adversary rather easily, if you use your wits. First, I prefer to fight no less than 2, but preferably 3 wolves at once. Reason being: I use their numbers to my advantage. When the 1st wolf springs back after a mock attack, I counter with a swift right jab to the hind quarters, which leaves me with a fanged boxing mitt. Now, as the Alpha springs towards me for the kill, I let loose with a toothy right cross to his throat! While my" boxing glove" is engaged on his neck, a left cross to his hind quarters awards me, my second glove. At this point, the 3rd wolf is so terrified that it runs off, leaving me to pull the hearts out of the first 2 as I remove my "boxing gloves". All of this can be viewed on my YouTube channel, if you don't believe me...
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 03:29 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

I found the stories about the attacks interesting

Posted By: cmcf

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 05:29 AM

If a man can and has killed a 140 pound leopard with his bare hands I believe some men could prevail against a wolf. I don’t remember the mans name but it was well documented, The man was a PH that was there to kill a maneater, the leopard went into the PH hut and atacked him while he was asleep. The PH spent some time in the hospital. Perhaps someone else who read of this man can put a name to him.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 05:32 AM

I would be more wary of a bear than wolves,But when I am in the bush trapping I am seldom armed,although I will have a gun on the bike or snowmachine sleigh.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 05:45 AM

Compared to almost any wild animal, humans have to pain tolerance and are just weaker.. Even a whitetail deer is 10 times tougher than the toughest human. Can you be gut shot and run full speed hundreds of yards? Now stick the jaw and teeth of a wolf onto a soft cuddly deer?? Youre dead.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 06:53 AM

One on one ha! They're gangbangers. Fight one fight them all. It only takes a handful of them to kill a moose. Without a gun you'd be toast. A lone wolf would only come at you if you were already covered with ravens. If one is coming at you there's more.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
If a man can and has killed a 140 pound leopard with his bare hands I believe some men could prevail against a wolf. I don’t remember the mans name but it was well documented, The man was a PH that was there to kill a maneater, the leopard went into the PH hut and atacked him while he was asleep. The PH spent some time in the hospital. Perhaps someone else who read of this man can put a name to him.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/80239/time-carl-akeley-killed-leopard-his-bare-hands

I don't think this is the story you were thinking about but very interesting to say the least. Much respect to this man. I have handled a live Florida panther once , it was kinda tame , lived in captivity. First impression was just in awe of how it was built , 100% muscle. Cats have great upper body strength due being able to climb trees with ease. I would not even attempt to go toe to toe with one of these. Having the great upper body strength gives it a serious advantage. I live about an hour from where Charla Nash got mauled by a chimpanzee. Chimpanzees have serious upper body strength due to living in trees.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Compared to almost any wild animal, humans have to pain tolerance and are just weaker.. Even a whitetail deer is 10 times tougher than the toughest human. Can you be gut shot and run full speed hundreds of yards? Now stick the jaw and teeth of a wolf onto a soft cuddly deer?? Youre dead.

I have handled a couple of live Whitetails. I think they have in some ways more strength in their legs than a wolf. They can kick like a mule. Luckily I have not been injured , more luck than skill. One of my NWCO friends has a nasty scar on his chest from pulling one out of a inground pool. It caught him in the chest with one of it's hooves as it was kicking wildly. Oh , yeah they bite too. Also , deer have killed zookeepers.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by BillyTraps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

I found the stories about the attacks interesting

I found them very interesting too. Thanks for posting.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 01:58 PM

Bump
Posted By: albrahal

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:13 PM

If the human can overcome the initial fear and let his "fight or flight, live or die" mental change take place, he has a chance. I believe a man can get an advantage on the ground and once you wrap your legs around the chest of the wolf and begin to squeeze and pop some ribs, poke at the eyes, punch, choke, etc.. you will survive. Numerous men have survived shark, mountain lion, Grizzly Bear attacks etc.. why not against a wolf. Just my two cents, but I'm not going out that way!!
Posted By: white17

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:20 PM

I don't know whether a human can regularly subdue a wolf. Too many variables. I DO believe that the odds of surviving are much higher than the odds of a wolf attack in the first place.
BUT..........for those who think they can pull this off I suspect you are selling these animals short on how quick they are.

I think a wolverine is pretty tenacious but it is probably a bit slower in reflexes than a wolf. But I defy you to hit a wolverine with a stick on the first try. A wolf will put that wolverine in the shade where quickness is concerned.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:33 PM

The odds are getting better every year that I will be attacked by wolves. Since they only attack the old and the weak. smile

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by white17
But I defy you to hit a wolverine with a stick on the first try.

So that's where the brown paper bag comes in handy. Should work on a wolf too if the rules allowed it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:37 PM

Seems to me that it's rare that a wolf is alone and wouldn't they be more likely to attack if they were not alone? Just thinking out loud.

Wolf society is so ordered with dominance that I often wonder if a wolf would break off an attack if it felt it was being dominated. Also, if other wolves are in the vicinity, I wonder if the dominant wolf attacks and you show signs of overpowering it, would the others back off? If they saw that you were being overpowered would they also attack?

Lot's of variables... like I said, just thinking out loud. I haven't been around wolves that much, I've only seen them in person up close in the wild a handful of times. So I may be way off base.
Posted By: white17

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by white17
But I defy you to hit a wolverine with a stick on the first try.

So that's where the brown paper bag comes in handy. Should work on a wolf too if the rules allowed it.

[Linked Image]

Ya got it !!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 08:40 PM

To survive a wolf attack. You just need to out run the person your with.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 08:41 PM

I"ve read some on why police dogs are so effective, and it basically boils down to the fact that they do not give up, ever. They don't pull away when hurt, and they aren't afraid. A gun or knife means nothing to them, pain means little. They have no idea what a gun or knife is, so the only way it can be effective against a canine is if you actually stick it in them or pull the trigger. Pain doesn't mean much of anything if it doesn't incapacitate them. A stab to the eye won't deter them at all, because their teeth and one eye still work. Think of it like this....when you fight a person, even to the death, a gun or a knife might scare them and make them hesitate. Pain might make them pull away for fear of getting hurt worse. But it doesn't work like that for dogs. Bashing a dog in the head won't make it run away because it doesn't want to get bashed again, it just keep attacking. But when the dog bites you, you pull back, because you don't want to get hurt. It comes down to a different mindset between you and the dog/wolf.
Posted By: Team V

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 08:52 PM

Here is a example of a 90 pound wolf and I am 6 foot . It would be a tough fight for sure [Linked Image]
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Team V
Here is a example of a 90 pound wolf and I am 6 foot . It would be a tough fight for sure [Linked Image]

Wow! No wonder they are killing all the game.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 09:14 PM

Thanks for posting the link but that wasn’t the one I was referring to the leopard in that instance was wounded in the hind leg. I tried a search after I posted and couldn’t find the story I was looking for. Found a couple others, one was a seventy something old farmer ripped the tongue out of a leopard and choked it to death. Another was a jogger in Colorado killed a mt lion with his hands.
I believe as others have said with wolves where there is one there are others = human is done.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/08/20 10:31 PM

Thanks for posting the link but that wasn’t the one I was referring to the leopard in that instance was wounded in the hind leg. I tried a search after I posted and couldn’t find the story I was looking for. Found a couple others, one was a seventy something old farmer ripped the tongue out of a leopard and choked it to death. Another was a jogger in Colorado killed a mt lion with his hands.
I believe as others have said with wolves where there is one there are others = human is done.

I agree with you on that , no chance against a pack or even just 2 wolves. 1 wolf , you have a chance. Maybe not a good chance , but there are documented cases were people ( even some elderly ) have successfully fought off an attack with no training or experience with a wild animal. Those cases also usually involve a rabid animal.
Posted By: Brian K.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 08:37 AM

My experiences with wolves as a guide, the bears would come in first to eat the gut piles. Then the wolves came in and ate every bit of bones and every other trace of the animal.
Posted By: mawdy man

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 10:45 AM

seen a lad take a police dog to the ground and kill it..was last seen floating off down a river, that didnt take 30 seconds and only one bite to the arm..didnt look much fun but my guess is a wolf 2x3 times the size in the snow and its a pro would be a LOT less fun i would think.
maybe a few men in a hundred that get lucky would do it...

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 03:59 PM

Wolves kill large game animals on a regular basis.They are good at it and know how.An unarmed human would be no problem for them.
Wolves are wary of humans,but will follow people in the bush from a distance and you will never know they are there unless they want you to know.On the couple of occasions when I have encountered a wolf pack in the fall while beaver trapping,I have heard wolves all around me close,howling and whistle-barking to each other,but none ever showed themselves.I believe they were hunting beaver.It is a bit un nerving when you know they are there and close.
Many times I have done a large loop in the bush and seen fresh wolves on the backtrack never knowing they were there likely only a couple hundred yards behind.
Other people on moose stands have observed wolves in clearcuts following another hunter and keeping out of sight of him on the backtrack.
These wolves are not hunting-when wolves hunt they spread out on the flanks and cut off the prey.They are both wary and curious when they follow like this.

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 04:35 PM

Just using the equipment man and wolf were born with and with equal intent to actually kill, the wolf is better equipped in my opinion.

That being said, I think Savell could slap tame one into submission and make it his woman but doubt that he could actually kill it with his bare hands.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 04:59 PM

Alright, my boss asked me a question that I think will get some interesting answers.
My boss is convinced he could take the wolf, but he is a wrestler so has a skewed version of his real life strength and ability lol.

They break the leg bones of Bison and moose to get at the marrow by cracking them open with their jaws. Your boss's arm bones are a heck of a lot thinner than a buffalo's leg. There is a video out there of three wolves killing a full grown Yellowstone bull bison. Could three of your boss wrestle a bull buffalo to the ground?
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 05:03 PM

The jogger in Colorado that killed the lion did it with a starving 60lb. one year old kitten.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 05:24 PM

Wolves are wary of humans,but will follow people in the bush from a distance and you will never know they are there unless they want you to know.

I had one follow me and a couple of buddies up a valley above timberline while we were prospecting for sheep season. I happened to turn around and saw something black and my first thought was black bear. It was a large, black wolf. It showed no sign of fear or aggression and I could have easily shot it. It was definitely following us. I don't think it's uncommon.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 05:46 PM

I know a guy who survived an attack by a ferocious german shepherd by grabbing and breaking its jaw down. The dog could do nothing and was in severe pain. The destruction to the dog was gruesome.
Posted By: Msturm

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/09/20 07:45 PM

After having recently taken a wolf of substantial size I doubt most would survive unarmed.
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Chance of surviving wolf attack? - 01/10/20 11:58 AM

I was attacked by a Great Dane once and let’s just say it did not end well for him. Your first reaction is most likely going to decide your fate. I have a natural instinct to instantly go into live and death mode and fight to win, I think I would have a good chance of survival as long as I’m not taken down at the neck.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums