Home

Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/08/20 05:25 PM

Building and setting wood box traps for rabbits with my Grandpa as a 5 year old, must have been formative for me.
My Grandpa Cruger Hated rabbits in his Yard and especially Garden.
So 50 years later I think He would be happy (if he was alive) to see I keep trying to improve on those simple wooden box traps.
A few years ago when LT was here schooling me on canines...he gave me a box design and said. Take it and modify it if you want. He knew I would morf. It anyway grin

I added a Rear bait door of 14ga. GAW 1X1.5" , a separate bait cubby w/nail . A handle and Walla! The
Harevolution 2.0 became my Rabbit getting Go-to trap.

Heres to You Grandpa! ....and LT
[Linked Image]
______
[Linked Image]
______
[Linked Image]
______
[Linked Image]
______ [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I didn't invent it...Just tweaked it to make it more appealing to a rabbits curiosity.
It really does the job too! *Apple core chunks used to tempt the rabbit and are laid down leading into the trap. Sometimes I soak the apple in Salt brine.

Im not selling anything just trying to help Rabbit trappers on here.

Scott
______

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/08/20 05:27 PM

Oh, it sets with eyes closed and with 1 finger.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/08/20 09:54 PM

Guess I am being dense today as not seeing the trigger unless the small board gets knocked over to drop the door.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/08/20 10:04 PM

That short thin stick in the back of the pic, (Entrance of the trap), get's knocked over, allowing the base plate to "Teeter Totter" behind the Rabbit, closing the entrance and keeping the Rabbit inside.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/08/20 10:05 PM

Nice work. When I was a kid I built a small fleet of them. I used tongue and groove boards with thin paneling and a clothes hanger to make a guillotine style door. All was good till you caught a coon...they would flatten my well crafted traps.

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/09/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Guess I am being dense today as not seeing the trigger unless the small board gets knocked over to drop the door.

The upright board is fixed to the bottom-ramp board ...when the door is lifted with one finger it catches on top of the upright.

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 01/09/20 12:19 AM

I had homemade wood rabbit traps. My Grandpa showed me how to make. No coons though! Haha
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 10/15/20 06:54 AM

Ttt
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Rabbit / hare wood box trap 2.0 - 10/15/20 10:40 AM

I like turning an apple into a rabbit into a bobcat. The scraps and hide are one of the best things to use for trash mound sets and the head back in a cubby or deep hole with the eye showing is a favorite.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums