Home

MB 550 prep

Posted By: coykill

MB 550 prep - 01/08/20 10:04 PM

I have some MB 550 shipping to me. They are two coiled and probably will never add two more springs to it. Do you grind off the two rods where the springs go to make them four coiled? Will the chain get caught on them and hinder the swivels? I watched some you tube videos and guys where talking about bending the dog so it has a curve in it. Do you do that or just for adjusting pan tension? They are suppose to be set at 2.5 lbs. pan tension and that is what I want.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/08/20 10:12 PM

I cut my pins off with 5/8” sticking out then file them smooth. Never messed with the dog.
Posted By: Backbreaker

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/08/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by coykill
I have some MB 550 shipping to me. They are two coiled and probably will never add two more springs to it. Do you grind off the two rods where the springs go to make them four coiled? Will the chain get caught on them and hinder the swivels? I watched some you tube videos and guys where talking about bending the dog so it has a curve in it. Do you do that or just for adjusting pan tension? They are suppose to be set at 2.5 lbs. pan tension and that is what I want.

Do not touch! Not necessary to grind pins; they're just fine out of the factory. As age sets in on springs, you might want to add two more anyway. Don't touch dog. Set for 2.5 lbs or so. Great coyote trap.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/09/20 12:44 AM

I bend the pins inward so the swivel don't get caught in them. By bending them, should you ever want to 4 coil them, you simply bend them back out.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/09/20 12:57 AM

I cut off the spring pins to half inch or so and i bend the dog slightly to lower pan tension.
Posted By: Posco

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/09/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Backbreaker

Do not touch! Not necessary to grind pins; they're just fine out of the factory. As age sets in on springs, you might want to add two more anyway. Don't touch dog. Set for 2.5 lbs or so. Great coyote trap.

I fondle mine, they're a work of art. I don't do a thing to mine modification-wise, they're fine right out of the box. Caught a snowshoe hare in one this winter. Fox got to it before I did.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Btoutdoors

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/09/20 02:47 AM

You can bend them in or cut them off. If you use them a lot you will have problems with the swivel hanging up. I set a lot of traps and had it happen pretty regular until I cut them off.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/10/20 02:30 AM

I don`t think you have to do anything but I change the swivel that connects to the trap just because I think it makes it easier and quicker to bed.I do have to weld them but its a simple and quick fix for me.With this find of swivel I have never had any trouble with the pins. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/10/20 02:34 AM

Same as the others, the only mod needed is the swivel. The stock one gets stuck in the spring pins a lot
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/10/20 03:06 AM

I bend mine
Posted By: dublelung

Re: MB 550 prep - 01/10/20 04:05 AM

Either bend or cut the spring pins then it's ready for action.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums