Home

Eating muskrat.

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Eating muskrat. - 01/08/20 11:55 PM

Yes you do or no you dont?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/08/20 11:58 PM

Not bad at all.During the depression restaurants sold muskrat under the name marsh rabbit.
Posted By: traphound

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/08/20 11:59 PM

its a lot better than it looks,no gamey taste,parboil 45 minutes,cut off bone and put it in any recipe. Great in stroganoff.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:02 AM

Yes, yes I do.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:03 AM

Yes, muskrat is good to eat. It is beef like in flavor and texture and not dissimilar to beaver.

Keith
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:13 AM

I had it once. Absolutely disgusting. Tasted like the black goop on the bottom of a Marsh. Your mileage may vary, some people love it. Give it a try, it's free food.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:26 AM

Was talkin with my great Aunt Avis on New Year’s Day, she’s 95. I’d been hunting earlier, so she got talkin bout living in the sticks, said they ate everything. Adams Mills Ohio on the Muskingham River. Around 1945. She ate something right.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:27 AM

Not that hungry. Yet.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:30 AM

no
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Not that hungry. Yet.

Now I got Dwight Yoakum stuck in my head
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:38 AM

It's the reason I trap. That and beaver.

Get the glands out.

Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 12:39 AM

And Randy Newberg...

Posted By: bfisch

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Yes, muskrat is good to eat. It is beef like in flavor and texture and not dissimilar to beaver.

Keith

I agree. Never cooked it for myself but when I had it roasted it tasted like a beef roast. Still don't cook it for myself though.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:18 AM

Yes I have and it was good but prefer it for bait.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:23 AM

I did when I was a home trapping after school but that was a long time ago.

** It is never to early to think about who to Vote for. **
Posted By: Bogwalker

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:25 AM

Trimmed off anything not meat , parboiled, roasted ,pulled apart and added a little bbq .Would eat again but served it up for a wild game dinner. Beaver much easier.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Yes you do or no you dont?

In 1977, When I was 18 year's old and attending college,

there wasn't a lot of money for groceries so muskrat was

on the menu along with venison.

Pan fried muskrat rolled in flour/bread crumbs butter, salt and pepper

was a popular feast on many occasions.

With all the farm pollution and chemicals flowing

into my marshes now, I wouldn't eat it any more.

w
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:33 AM

I’ve had beaver and thought it was pretty good but never muskrat. I would like to try some sometime. They don’t exist in my area Pennsylvania so it might be a while until I get a chance.
Posted By: coop

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:44 AM

Yep, 3 or 4X a year... not much on coon though.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:55 AM

Yes. Morgan’s got the recipe, darn good!

John
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 02:26 AM

I have eaten muskrat and beaver when I was in my teens, and enjoyed muskrat much more than beaver.
Don't have rats here, but plenty of beaver.
No beav, for me. If I could catch muskrat, I would definatly eat them.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 02:54 AM

Haven't for a good while but when I did, it tasted like a typical non-grain eating puddle duck--- all that stuff has a hint of liver taste to it in my opinion. I think a guy could swamp out duck meat in most duck recipes and most people wouldn't miss a beat.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:07 AM

I have eaten a lot of them... the secret is to cut the glands out of usually under front legs and another under the flap of skin in the hind legs. The second thing is when you par boil them, make sure they are well covered with water, when they become tender slowly pour the water off of them so any dissolved fat and bad tasting stuff is poured off of the meat. Then I take them out of the pot and rinse them in tepid water, roll them in flour with salt and pepper and slow fry them till brown. Remove the meat from the skillet and make a gravy from the flour and juice (water) left in the skillet. They remind me a lot of squirrel and I grew up eating squirrel.

Garry-
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:14 AM

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone made sausage out of muskrat?

Chris
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:11 AM

Have smoked many pairs of m'rat hams and they are delicious, also BBQ'd. Only thing I don't really like about it is the texture is a little soft and grainy(towards liver texture IMO). It is a very rich flavor and best limited
Posted By: Boco

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:13 AM

Fried muskrat and cramper is very good.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:15 AM

muskrat is very good as is beaver also.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:30 AM

I ate a muskrat once, wasn't too impressed, as was said above kind of reminded me of liver/duck. Beaver is much better imo.
Imo, if you need to bread and fry any kind of red meat or pork to make it palatable it's not worth eating.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:37 AM

We had it a lot when growing up. Marinate the hind quarters in Italian salad dressing over night in the fridge. Put it on the bbq grill the next day. deeee licious.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 10:48 AM

yes both beaver and muskrats , like them both , smile
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
I have eaten a lot of them... the secret is to cut the glands out of usually under front legs and another under the flap of skin in the hind legs. The second thing is when you par boil them, make sure they are well covered with water, when they become tender slowly pour the water off of them so any dissolved fat and bad tasting stuff is poured off of the meat. Then I take them out of the pot and rinse them in tepid water, roll them in flour with salt and pepper and slow fry them till brown. Remove the meat from the skillet and make a gravy from the flour and juice (water) left in the skillet. They remind me a lot of squirrel and I grew up eating squirrel.

Garry-

It is against the law here to serve muskrats with gravy. It should be everywhere.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Yes. Morgan’s got the recipe, darn good!

John

X2
Posted By: Newt

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:06 PM

Tastes like CHICKEN
Along with everthing else.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 01:53 PM

I’ve tasted muskrat twice over a 60 year span. Tastes so bad, it will take me another 60 years to work up the courage to try it a third time. Lol. I’m sure it wasn’t prepared right.
Posted By: albrahal

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 02:07 PM

Muskrat and Beaver are a staple in my fur shed. Cast Iron skillet on the wood stove with butter, salt and pepper saves me from going in the house for dinner on long days when fur gets backed up. I have had many friends stop in when they see the shed light on and try both with no one ever turning down a second helping. I cook muskrat hind legs right on the bone, pick them up and eat like a chicken wing when they are done.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 02:40 PM

albrahal. 2X
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by albrahal
Muskrat and Beaver are a staple in my fur shed. Cast Iron skillet on the wood stove with butter, salt and pepper saves me from going in the house for dinner on long days when fur gets backed up. I have had many friends stop in when they see the shed light on and try both with no one ever turning down a second helping. I cook muskrat hind legs right on the bone, pick them up and eat like a chicken wing when they are done.

I'd stop by your fur shed if the light was on!
Posted By: Muddyrat

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:04 PM

Love eating them . Par boil for a hour then fry in bacon drippings just enough to brown them with salt pepper to taste and some onions
Posted By: Muddyrat

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:08 PM

Prep is the key remove all glands then soak in saltwater . I like 48 hours before cooking just change water out frequently
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:52 PM

I'll take Venison over mrat if there was a choice
Posted By: Actor

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by Actor

Garry-

It is against the law here to serve muskrats with gravy. It should be everywhere.

And why is that ???? You have chicken and gravy, squirrel and gravy, rabbit and gravy, quail, turkey pheasant and every other kind of critter. Is that in the state of Maryland or just in your household?

Oh yes, thanks Paul, I forgot, we soaked it in salt water with some vinegar over night too.

Garry-
Posted By: story

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:23 PM

Before I retired cooked some up and took to work. Told everyone it was marsh rabbit. They loved it until I told them what it was and then I recieved several new names that not allowed on here. LOL
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 05:42 PM

I would have to be In the starvation mode before I would eat them.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Eating muskrat. - 01/09/20 10:43 PM

My father was a fan of Muskrat, as result, I have eaten many of them. Even made jerky from it. It has been decades since I last cooked one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums