Home

Rendering fat

Posted By: nyhuntfish

Rendering fat - 01/09/20 09:22 PM

Has anyone ever rendered beaver fat?

Or coon fat?

Preferably beaver I guess.

Was it any good? How did you use it? Can you cook with it? Do you have to render if you wanted to cook with it or just use as-is?

Thanks.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Rendering fat - 01/09/20 10:55 PM

We tried years ago, it stunk so bad we dumped it out. Have never tried it again.

** Voting can make the difference **
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rendering fat - 01/09/20 11:33 PM

I rendered beef and bear fat... first in the stove...then out in ghe Garage on a camp stove. It does smell
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Rendering fat - 01/09/20 11:37 PM

Had a fella do a cooking demo at our convention last year in NC. He rendered some coon fat that he had collected the previous season and kept in the freezer. It rendered down nicely and was a fairly light color oil. He used the oil he rendered to fry up some deboned bobcat hind quarter steaks. He also drained the cracklins and they were great and got gone in a hurry. The bobcat steaks did not last long either.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Rendering fat - 01/09/20 11:43 PM

Never rendered beaver or coon. Have made a few gallons of skunk fat to oil and made little bear oil. I never used any of it for cooking so no idea what it would have taste like. I sun rendered what I made and it had very little oder. Pretty much smelled like mink oil you buy for your boots.

Mac
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 12:31 AM

I have rendered beaver, bear, and moose fat. The moose is good for things like frying eggs. The bear and beaver are for dipping dry meat (like jerky) in. The beaver is very soft and melts quite quickly at room temperature. My favorite is the bear fat as beaver is too rich for my system. You could cook with any of them but each will have its own flavor. Cut into small cubes 1/2 inch in size, place in pot/pan and cook on low heat heat on the stove. Drain liquid into jar as it accumulates. Try not to get too much junk in the rendered fat and do not burn it! Place in fridge or freezer until ready to use.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 12:38 AM

I do skunk and badger fat often the grease and oil make some good lure bases or ingredients.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I do skunk and badger fat often the grease and oil make some good lure bases or ingredients.

X2
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 02:16 AM

I've used beef and deer rendered fat for bird suet ...No melt suet recipe
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 05:15 AM

I saved up some coon fat to render and make suet cakes for my chicken.

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bfisch
I have rendered beaver, bear, and moose fat. The moose is good for things like frying eggs. The bear and beaver are for dipping dry meat (like jerky) in. The beaver is very soft and melts quite quickly at room temperature. My favorite is the bear fat as beaver is too rich for my system. You could cook with any of them but each will have its own flavor. Cut into small cubes 1/2 inch in size, place in pot/pan and cook on low heat heat on the stove. Drain liquid into jar as it accumulates. Try not to get too much junk in the rendered fat and do not burn it! Place in fridge or freezer until ready to use.

I'll try this. Thank you for the detailed recipe. I'm convinced somehow that if beaver is a delicious meat, the oil must be able to be used. Say for instance the world goes boom (to any degree)....where are you going to get olive oil? You can't use that evil "vegetable" oil. I need to find an alternative I can make somehow.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 02:01 PM

Coon fat, once rendered, remains a liquid oil. It does not solidify when it cools like pork fat.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Originally Posted by bfisch

I'll try this. Thank you for the detailed recipe. I'm convinced somehow that if beaver is a delicious meat, the oil must be able to be used. Say for instance the world goes boom (to any degree)....where are you going to get olive oil? You can't use that evil "vegetable" oil. I need to find an alternative I can make somehow.

Sure thing! Hope it works out for you!
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Rendering fat - 01/10/20 11:06 PM

I render fat every time I cook bacon!
Posted By: boncoon

Re: Rendering fat - 01/11/20 12:24 AM

I don't know if I read it here or another site, guy was putting up coon and throwing the fat in his trap shed wood heater. The way he described it he didn't have to use as much wood and made a really hot fire. I know my uncle used to have burnt motor oil dripping in his auto shop wood heater. Kinda off topic but interesting none the less.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Rendering fat - 01/11/20 12:51 AM

What is your plan when you get it rendered soap, diesel fuel, lamp oil??

Re: Rendering fat - 01/12/20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by danvee

I want to find a cooking oil that is good for you to eat in unlimited quantities and is good for your brain. Like olive oil.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by danvee

When I made my first batch of skunk oil my intention was to run it in and oil lamp. What I found though was that at least oil I made was to thick. I could use it more like a candle in what I call a slug lamp. Basically a wick in container of oil. But I could not get it to draw up a wick in my actual oil lamps.. Maybe I could have changed out to a wick with looser weave?? Don't know didn't try. The oil I made was about same thickness of cooking oil you buy..
Like I said in my earlier post I sun rendered my oil. So the very first oil to come off was very light and thin. It just would not wick up a normal oil lamp wick for me.
I thought at time be fun to run lamp at camp and tell folks it was skunk oil. Just for the novelty.

Mac
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 02:35 PM

boncoon

that was coon creek outdoors that burns the fat
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 02:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
coon oil is a good wood preservative and oil for metals and anything else you use oil for will last a lot longer than oil you buy in town its 100 percent natural nothing added and yes its a good animal attractor to I like the cracklings best for bait lot of animals like them including coon I make a bunch every year
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 03:19 PM

I dispose of coon fat in my wood burner...a little at a time...it will certainly raise the temperature in the house in short order.
Posted By: Owen

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 03:27 PM

That would be Rice Bran Oil. Longest shelf life (2 + years) high smoke point (450') and is as healthy or healthier than olive oil. Plus it has almost no odor. Sorry it is not a animal fat so a little off topic but you wanted something healthy.
Posted By: K52

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by rod-dog
I dispose of coon fat in my wood burner...a little at a time...it will certainly raise the temperature in the house in short order.

I've burned a lot of coon fat in my wood stove in the fur shop, that stuff has some real BTU's in it. "A little at a time" are words to be heeded.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Rendering fat - 01/13/20 07:41 PM

When we had the mink ranch my Dad would render out some mink fat to use as waterproofing our boots. In 1970 I was attending the U of Wyoming and every time I walked across campus every stray dog would follow me. If I stopped to talk to someone I had to kick the dogs off that were tryin' to use my leg as a urine post!!
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Rendering fat - 01/14/20 12:15 PM

I rendered beaver and coon oil to try in an oil lamp, it didn't work. burned to hot and fast and just burnt the wick up. I have rendered pig lard, You just have to do it slowly on low heat if too hot it smells really bad
© 2024 Trapperman Forums