Home

Drags

Posted By: Ewcalls

Drags - 01/10/20 03:51 AM

I have a question? About a drag on 10 or 15 feet of chain with a 4 coil #2 bridger off set jaw trap. Can a deer pull out the the trap since there is no sold anchor point like a earth anchor after first jump from the deer. After first jump odds are the drag will end up in brush after that.
I have been a little hesident about using them in rural areas.
What has been any one's experience with drags.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Drags - 01/10/20 04:48 AM

yes they will. Savell and I have looked for several of mine for an hour after having deer step in them. I was using 12' of #3 chain on #4 DLS. That being said, I love using drags to preserve set locations that I have set for many years as they are just going to be a critter corridor. It is just something you are going to have to accept using drags where deer and hogs reside.
Posted By: vatrapping87

Re: Drags - 01/11/20 10:58 PM

I tie a piece of orange survey ribbon to the drag and a couple of pieces to the chain to make finding the drag easier and faster.
Posted By: CravingtheWild

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 03:55 PM

Have you spoken with anyone with the game commission about using drags? I’m from Pennsylvania
too and I was having trouble finding info about the legality of drags in Pa so I called the game commission
and was told they are illegal. The person I spoke with didn’t even know what a drag was and they didn’t sound very sure of their answer so I made a post a week ago on (Are drags legal in Pennsylvania?) here asking other Pa trappers for info. I got mixed answers and still haven’t called the game commission back to resolve the question.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by CravingtheWild
Have you spoken with anyone with the game commission about using drags? I’m from Pennsylvania
too and I was having trouble finding info about the legality of drags in Pa so I called the game commission
and was told they are illegal. The person I spoke with didn’t even know what a drag was and they didn’t sound very sure of their answer so I made a post a week ago on (Are drags legal in Pennsylvania?) here asking other Pa trappers for info. I got mixed answers and still haven’t called the game commission back to resolve the question.

Drags are 100% legal on foot hold traps in PA.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 04:02 PM

Used to be legal here in Maine.Not anymore.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by vatrapping87
I tie a piece of orange survey ribbon to the drag and a couple of pieces to the chain to make finding the drag easier and faster.

Good tip
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by vatrapping87

I would also have a couple pieces loose on the chain so they would come off giving you a direction.
Posted By: rudydog

Re: Drags - 01/12/20 10:26 PM

Paint the trap and chain a bright color. Will save you many traps and hours of frustration.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums