Home

Havalon

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Havalon - 01/11/20 02:34 PM

My Doc. whome I took trapping gave me this knife.

[Linked Image]

Its Sharp ....because its a scalpel. Good for certain areas of skinning...but I still find myself grabbing my Favorite skinner knives for a lot.

Have you used one?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:36 PM

thinkin about it,let me know what you think.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:44 PM

I have one. I love it, mostly because I don't like sharpening knives. It seems like the blades get dull fast, one lasts 4-5 coons, but I tend to run it over the bone in the skull, so, that doesn't help. I suppose it could probably be touched up and last a lot longer, but I just snap in a new blade. Other than that, no complaints.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:45 PM

Got one for Christmas. Never looking back. It has become my work horse and blades touch up nice with F Dick smooth steel. Saves me a ton of time. After 15 years of handling fur wish I had gotten one long ago. Never was much of a believer.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:48 PM

I got one for Christmas for deer hunting. I love mine, use if for skinning, Coyotes, rats, deer. Would not change back.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:48 PM

Get a boss dog handle for skinning if you drop that Havalon the handles will chip. It takes some getting used to but that’s all I use now for skinning. That would be great for skinning in the field but then the cut you might get could be a problem maybe.

I had a black and a orange one but they ran off it seems.
Posted By: JohnnyY

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:49 PM

Kids got me one. Ended up needing stitches during Deer season. Cut me to the bone in a finger quicker than I knew what happened.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:52 PM

If I use one I'll have holes all over the hide, it like my knife sorta sharp, but not razor sharp
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:55 PM

I have one and love it. It's all I use for skinning.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 02:58 PM

I have one and It has It's uses. And a quick couple of passes over your steel will sharpen It up. But I still use my hooked bladed box cutter to make opening cuts. You don't have to worry about cutting yourself and It's good for 20 or so critters . Then turn the blade around and do 20 more
Posted By: one toe

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 03:12 PM

I've always looked at them, but stayed away because of how sharp they are. I have a knack for cutting myself. Then again, a dull knife can cause a cut because you're placing more force on it. To bring an edge back, try gluing cork to a flat piece of wood about 3 inches square. Rub a polishing compound into the cork. Draw the blade across it a couple times. It works great for wood chisels.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 03:28 PM

I got one free this year when I renewed my RMEF membership. I still prefer a good knife, but they have their place. I really like them for fine trimming off skulls for boiling.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 03:33 PM

I think the trick to keeping a knife sharp is do not let it get flat dull. I keep a steel handy and run the knife over the steel regularly. I am the only one that sharpens my knifes because I always use the same angle. But this knife looks good but how much are the new blades running. JMO

** Your never to old to Vote. **
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 03:58 PM

I like the replaceable blade knifes from outdoor edge
Carry one everyday with the pocket clip. Did all the feild work on my wifes elk this year with one blade. Only other knife used was a good buck knife when i broke the leg joints.

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Best knife I've found for making your opening cuts. I use a different knife for ringing the legs and yes one pass
Across bone will dull them fast.

Thats what I do also
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 04:58 PM

I hated them! They do not suit my style of skinning at all. I don't take time to worry about cutting into the skull a little or cutting through hair. I couldn't get through one coon before the blade was dull.

Use a hooked blade utility knife for your opening cuts, WAY better than any straight blade knife. Get these for coons and beaver they have the right sized hooks ... https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-5-utility-knife-hook-blades-37557.html and get these for your k9's and cats ... https://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS680119...mp;psc=1&refRID=JJ9VGSVZ8VPA3A03A6BN One blade will easily open 1000 critters!

~ADC~
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 05:09 PM

I love my Havalon, and it gets a lot of use, but it's not the only knife I use.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 05:16 PM

I use mine for head and feet work when I'm doing a taxi prep on certain critters. I laugh at the idea of skinning a beaver with one!
Posted By: TrappinOnTheEdge

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 06:20 PM

Once I get past the hind legs, tail and butthole,my havalon gets the job done the rest of the way for me. Never have to sharpen just grab a new blade on every coyote.
Posted By: trapperbill

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 06:35 PM

I skin and debone deer on the ground with a piranta bolt. I don’t use the 60A blades for that. I use the #70A round blunt tips. Be careful they are extremely sharp. I needed a couple stitches myself. cry

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 06:45 PM

I gutted my buddies elk rather then be the one to go back for the truck and trailer he gave me the bigger one to do the job, between the knife the broad head and being far from any help I took my time being careful.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I have one. I love it, mostly because I don't like sharpening knives. It seems like the blades get dull fast, one lasts 4-5 coons, but I tend to run it over the bone in the skull, so, that doesn't help. I suppose it could probably be touched up and last a lot longer, but I just snap in a new blade. Other than that, no complaints.

They do sharpen just fine. I am too cheap to replace the blade Everytime it gets dull so I sharpen My disposable blades at least 3 or 4 times. It's a good knife. Opening cuts on beaver and coon and it's the only knife I use for coyotes

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 06:53 PM

Cheap blades on Amazon #22 work well 7-10 cents a blade you can’t beat that.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
I can't see how pulling a hook blade down the color line could be easy.
Opposed to using the end of your finger to guide the blade up it. Specifically for the Nevada stretch on cat's.

Clamp one foot pull out on the other and slide the hook towards you, follow any line you want. Just like unzipping a zipper. Super simple.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 07:07 PM

I love mine. I have done a bunch of squirrel and groundhogs and coon and and lol. I use it often and with a skinner I got from ADC. I got a hundred blades off ebay for 5.99 STMD. [Linked Image]

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 07:10 PM

100 blades for 6bucks....holy cow
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Holy cow I have been getting ripped off. $14 for 5 blades at my local North 40

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by Law Dog

Holy cow I have been getting ripped off. $14 for 5 blades at my local North 40

Thats bad
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 10:59 PM

Ohh they're sharp just don't slip ... I agree with what 330 said find myself grabbing for a skinning knife first...
(they do have a place in the skinning shed tho)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 11:42 PM

The first week I cut both thumbs just touching them pulling when skinning, I learned to put the knife down before pulling on the pelt before I got a serious cut
Posted By: red mt

Re: Havalon - 01/11/20 11:50 PM

It has its uses ,,, I use it a bunch ,,,treat like the sharp side of fleshing knife and you will get along with it better.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 12:19 AM

I love mine, definitely speeds up the skinning for me. I also use outdoor edge
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 12:28 AM

I bought one for deer. Have used it on several coon. Better than sharpening knives. Very easy to cut through the hide though. A less sharp knife seems to be more forgiving when working close to skin.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 01:23 AM

Good knife. I use mine for opening up critters and breasting ducks. Definitely nicked myself a hundred times. My only complaint is the pocket clip is too raised and it catches on everything. I've lost it off my pocket multiple times. Now I just throw it in my pack.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 02:22 AM

I like havalon. I use mine for cutting lines and fine work like a wolf face. I’ve cut lines on moose and bear with no problem. I have the torch and forge models

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by River Birch

Ohh they're sharp just don't slip ... I agree with what 330 said find myself grabbing for a skinning knife first...
(they do have a place in the skinning shed tho)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow...Ouch
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 12:17 PM

I re-sharpen blades while using them. Right now it has been with a diamond steel. Problem is, the angle already on the blade can't be followed due to the raised boss on the knife used to hold the blade in place. Will not let one get to the shallow angle of the original grind. Next year I will be using a round ceramic rod to re-sharpen.

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
I re-sharpen blades while using them. Right now it has been with a diamond steel. Problem is, the angle already on the blade can't be followed due to the raised boss on the knife used to hold the blade in place. Will not let one get to the shallow angle of the original grind. Next year I will be using a round ceramic rod to re-sharpen.

I've never tried resharpening them.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Havalon - 01/12/20 02:03 PM

I had to quit sharpening my blades. They’s gettin so sharp they’d cut ya just lookin at em. Had a Barlow you couldn’t close, it just cut through the handle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums