Home

Looking to buy new gun

Posted By: Bruce T

Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 07:19 PM

I didn't have a bunch of money at the time I got my new boat so ended up swapping a bunch of stuff including my Remington model 700 mountain rifle in 270 caliber. I'm going to start spending winters in northern Florida,Kansas,and Arizonia starting next year and am looking at the remington model 700 mountain rifle ss in 6.5 Creedmoor.Want to use it on antelope,deer,and wild pigs.Even comes with a adjustable trigger.I still have my browning bar 30-06 so don't need a caliber that big.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 07:33 PM

Caliber is a good choice. But I worked for Remington for 30 years and would not recommend a NEW M 700. Action is still the strongest, but as mentioned by many members on here before maybe a better choice would be a Tikka or a CZ of whatever model you would prefer.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 07:38 PM

I have had several built on 700 actions but would not buy a new complete 700 rifle. I have several older ones that are great. If I were going to buy a new rifle made by Tikka. I know the gunsmith I'm working with on a custom highly recommends Tikka for the factory rifle to buy. Randy Selby out of Wyoming says it as close to custom with the optimum features out there.
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 07:42 PM

In my opinion there are much better factory options than the 700s these days. Tikka, savage, Bergara, heck even a cheap ruger American will likely outshoot a new 700. The x-mark pro triggers on them should embarrass Remington.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.I will for sure do some looking around first.The only sure thing my new gun will not be bought at Walmart's and their junk.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 08:45 PM

Give Savage a look
Posted By: Prn

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Thanks for the suggestions.I will for sure do some looking around first.The only sure thing my new gun will not be bought at Walmart's and their junk.

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying Walmart is junk or the guns they have there are junk?

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Prn

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying Walmart is junk or the guns they have there are junk?

The guns walmarts sell there are junk
Posted By: ZionHeritageFarm

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 10:05 PM

I would also recommend Tikka. I have a T3 Hunter in .308. Wonderful rifle. It has killed many a deer. Owned by Sako. Sako barrel. Sub Moa easy. Adjustable trigger without any thingys in the middle of the trigger. Mine got light enough that I felt it unsafe for hunting and turned it back up some. It is 2.75lbs now.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/11/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ZionHeritageFarm
I would also recommend Tikka. I have a T3 Hunter in .308. Wonderful rifle. It has killed many a deer. Owned by Sako. Sako barrel. Sub Moa easy. Adjustable trigger without any thingys in the middle of the trigger. Mine got light enough that I felt it unsafe for hunting and turned it back up some. It is 2.75lbs now.

I might have to look at that tikka.I like my trigger pull set at 1 pound myself.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 12:41 AM

[quote=Prn][quote=Bruce T]Thanks for the suggestions.I will for sure do some looking around first.The only sure thing my new gun will not be bought at Walmart's and their junk.

So the models they have are junk, or they have special runs of defective guns made just for them? I would agree that they carry low cost entry level firearms. I would not believe that a Remington 700 ADL at walmart is any different than one you would purchase any place else.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prn
[quote=Prn][quote=Bruce T]Thanks for the suggestions.I will for sure do some looking around first.The only sure thing my new gun will not be bought at Walmart's and their junk.

So the models they have are junk, or they have special runs of defective guns made just for them? I would agree that they carry low cost entry level firearms. I would not believe that a Remington 700 ADL at walmart is any different than one you would purchase any place else.

Whatever Remington, wherever being sold is junk. If your hung up on owning a Rem then buy old.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 12:51 AM

That is for sure Catch, the last new Remington I purchased was 5 years ago. I am sure I will never purchase another new one. Nothing majorly wrong. I just feel for the money there is far better firearms on the market.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Prn

So the models they have are junk as they carry low cost entry level firearms.

What you said here.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:04 AM

Check out Browning x bolt's I picked up a 6.5 this fall and it is NICE. Puts a smile on my face when I take it out of the safe and caress it. LOL

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Prn
That is for sure Catch, the last new Remington I purchased was 5 years ago. I am sure I will never purchase another new one. Nothing majorly wrong. I just feel for the money there is far better firearms on the market.

All I know is of all the guns I have owned over the years which include remington,winchester,and savage that remington model 700 mountain rifle shot the best of them all.Would love to find another that shoots that good.Every shot at 200 yards or under I could take out a quarter.Never had another gun ever do that.The newer guns such as kimber,etc I have never shot.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prn
Check out Browning x bolt's I picked up a 6.5 this fall and it is NICE. Puts a smile on my face when I take it out of the safe and caress it. LOL

How much does that rifle weigh?

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:45 AM

6 and some change

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prn
6 and some change

Thanks I might take a look at that one as well.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 01:55 AM

Looks like a trip to the Kittery Trading Post this coming summer for me
Posted By: matt

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 02:25 AM

I will add another vote to the X bolt in the 6.5. Its light enough, quick to point, all in all is one of the best handling rifles I have held. I find it goes with me a lot more often than the others. It will shoot right along with anything else out there.
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 02:37 AM

This is why I hate to sell a gun. Sooner or later you miss it.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by thebeaverguy
This is why I hate to sell a gun. Sooner or later you miss it.

I agree I hated swapping it but did not want to end up on the bottom of a dead water somewhere so really needed the bigger boat.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 03:40 AM

My personal opinion is a 280 for what animals that you want to hunt

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by frank1969
My personal opinion is a 280 for what animals that you want to hunt

Had a 280
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 04:13 AM

Henry rifles has their new Long Ranger rifle in the 6.5
Posted By: white17

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 04:26 AM

Take a look at Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard. Same rifle

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by white17
Take a look at Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard. Same rifle

Had a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby magnum.Forgot about that one earlier in my post.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prn

I bought a 700 from Walmart two or three years ago and it's a fine shooting gun. No issues at all.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 03:20 PM

.280 or 7mm-08 in a Tikka or older Remington Mountain rifle.

Re: Looking to buy new gun - 01/12/20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer
.280 or 7mm-08 in a Tikka or older Remington Mountain rifle.

Those older remington mountain rifles are hard to find.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums