Home

walking on dams

Posted By: watt

walking on dams - 01/12/20 01:59 PM

First picture is spring 2017. Obvious lodge in background. Huge amount of water backed up here with 4 more dams downstream. Ends astonishingly after only 150 yards with a 2 foot diameter road culvert! Next picture is January 2020, same spot. Dam has broke along with one more downstream. New beavers have creatively built their lodge on the end of the broken dam.
I've always walked on dams assuring myself of their strength but now I may reconsider. Very little flow here as there is no inlet stream to this swamp, just an underground seep. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 02:01 PM

Really Cool Top Photo !!!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Really Cool Top Photo !!!

I agree. Very photogenic with the reflection in the water.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 02:22 PM

I'm sure Jurrasic can jump between the two remaining structures to help you beaver trap there.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 02:30 PM

Great pics!
Posted By: Boco

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 03:26 PM

I love ripping out beaver dams.
I do it all summer after removing the beaver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 03:44 PM

Boco, are you doing this ADC trapping/dam removal for the RR or Province?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 03:58 PM

We took out a beaver dam and a road all at the same time once. Wasn't much of a road but that culvert just couldn't take all that water at one time. LOL
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 04:06 PM

Nice pictures.Those are some big beaver dams.
Posted By: Boco

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 05:13 PM

We have contracts with logging companys,local roads boards,Highway mtc contractors,Municipalities,Ont.Power generation,private power generation companys,and MNR.
The railroad uses their own trapper because of access issues with non-railroad employees.I was the fulltime Beaver control Foreman for the Railroad before I took my pension.My nuisance control trapline for the RR was 600 miles long.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
My nuisance control trapline for the RR was 600 miles long.

Now that is what you call long lining.
Posted By: Marty

Re: walking on dams - 01/12/20 11:24 PM

Awesome picture......
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: walking on dams - 01/13/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
We have contracts with logging companys,local roads boards,Highway mtc contractors,Municipalities,Ont.Power generation,private power generation companys,and MNR.
The railroad uses their own trapper because of access issues with non-railroad employees.I was the fulltime Beaver control Foreman for the Railroad before I took my pension.My nuisance control trapline for the RR was 600 miles long.

Thats Awesome Boco!!!
Posted By: Bison88

Re: walking on dams - 01/13/20 02:32 AM

Very cool, looks fun yet very challenging as well!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums