Home

clearing snow with a leaf blower...

Posted By: NonPCfed

clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 02:39 AM

We got about 1.5+ inch of snow today. Nice, light stuff so my oldest kid and I did a little shovel work and cleared off the driveway and sidewalks; calm night, no wind, a little (not much) exercise. I drove into the main part of bedroom town and my neighbor up the street was moving his snow with a lead blower!! I've never seen that done before today. This is the same neighbor that used to walk his German short-hair pointer down about 300+ yards to take a dump so he won't have to pick dog crap from his yard. It was sad when his dog died of cancer at a fairly young age but probably better that way because the undeveloped land where the dog used to poo is now built up with houses. Somehow my neighbor never loses much of his beer gut with his various "exercises". I wonder how many inches of snow it takes before the leaf blower is no longer effective...
Posted By: patfundine

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 02:41 AM

Stihl BR 800 moves a lot of snow. It's common thing around here. Many of the car lots use them....

Work smarter, not harder... your back will thank you one day...

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 02:48 AM

No weight in my snow tonight, if its work, then I get out my big Husquarna snow blower and do the job. I have no need for a leaf blower at my place and at 57 I know where my back's limits are.
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 02:53 AM

The best part is not having to move or shovel the obstacles!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 02:58 AM

I have heard they work quite well. I plan on investing in one eventually. Tempting to do so soon, been storming steady in the whole region for the past two days and nights- still going strong , three feet on the ground so far. Supposed to storm more the next few days too.. -20 to -30 wind chill temps rolling in tonight later.

As patfundine said-work smarter, not harder. Definitely save the back.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 03:01 AM

They work ok on powder snow not much on the wet stuff ..... I use mine to dry my Harley off after washing as well ...
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 03:07 AM

Works good for me. All depends on the type of snow.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 03:14 AM

Been using one for years. The nice thing about using a leaf blower to remove snow is that there is very little snow to melt and turn to ice. Used them to remove snow off the roofs when roofing in the winter. Again, no ice to slip on. They work good up to a few inches but then it starts to pile up and no longer is effective.
Posted By: white17

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 03:38 AM

I asked about this very thing on here a few weeks back. Decided to give it a try.

Picked out what I wanted and ordered online. No one would ship it. Now I have close to 60 inches of snow. The bottom 4 feet are very compact. Only a D4 will move it now. I still think it's a good idea if you have dry, fluffy snow and don't get behind.
Posted By: Boco

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 03:46 AM

Use them (powerful backpack blowers,stihl)on the Railroad for cleaning snow from the switches.
I moved a couple ton of hard snow today with a snow float.

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 04:36 AM

What's a "snow float".../
Posted By: Boco

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 04:43 AM

I don't know how to link it-google it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

it is a big scoop ,
snow float
Posted By: patfundine

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 06:01 AM

leaf blowers also work great for burning brush piles, they really get the air movement needed to start it

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

it is a big scoop ,
snow float

Huh, not what I expected...
Posted By: proratman

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 11:48 AM

Been doing it for years. Has to be a a dry snow. Use on vehicles so as not to scratch the finish. Also works good on walkways.
Posted By: one toe

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 11:59 AM

If my leaf blower will do the job, I use it for whatever the job is. Light fluffy snow it works great for. An alternative to the snow float, a wovel works great. I think they call them a snow wolf now. Wovel.com
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 01:21 PM

Yep I use one too to blow snow off boat cover and truck, can do walk or drive if snow is dry fluffy stuff. Mine blower is small so won't move even 1/4 of the wet snow. Got about an inch new snow over night that I'm guess blower should be able to move. Will see.

Mac
Posted By: Kre

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 01:36 PM

I guess I'm another one of the dumbies that uses a leaf blower to remove light snow.

Don't try it because you'll see how good it actually works.
Posted By: Jags

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 01:36 PM

I use mine any chance I get. All kinds of uses once you have one. Another plus is it really irritates the neighbors.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jags
I use mine any chance I get. All kinds of uses once you have one. Another plus is it really irritates the neighbors.

grin
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: clearing snow with a leaf blower... - 01/13/20 01:51 PM

Just have to know which way the wind is blowing or you'll look like a snowman and you'll have to redo it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums