Home

Best way to trap a rat?

Posted By: Dillon Benda

Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 05:48 AM

Anybody got any tricks to catch barn rats. I've used snap traps with peanut butter and snap traps in weasel boxes with peanut butter or cat food and I can't catch a single one. I've tried the pail full of water one in the past and never had any luck. It's not really an option right now anyway because the water would freeze and I can't use anti freeze with the dogs around. I have one digging around the house now. I'd like to get him before he finds his way in!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 06:10 AM

Rats are neophobic ( fear of new things in their environment )
How long have you had traps out without moving them ?

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to investigate a trap.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 06:27 AM

I use footholds with a extremely light weight trigger on the pan and set them up in blind sets. Works like a charm if you can identify where they run.

I, like you have had little success with baited snap traps.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 06:48 AM

I've had both the snap traps and the boxes out for maybe a month. Beaverpeeler are you bedding those traps or just on the ground. I'll try that

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 06:51 AM

No bedding, I just block off their runs so they have to go across it and they will jump right on to the pan and get caught every time. Of course you need to wire the trap off or they will run off with it if they're not killed instantly. The key is such a light pan that it will go off with almost no pressure.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 06:58 AM

I've used standard Victor wooden rats traps and a few other types , plastic. Squirrel size cage traps too. I've heard of people using foothold traps with a super light trigger with success , haven't tried it myself. Being they are neophobic , sometimes putting out traps with bait unset to allow them to get used to the new thing in their environment for days or even weeks before they will commit. Allowing them to investigate from a safe distance ( feet/yards) as time goes on they will get closer ( feet/inches ) slowly working their way in. Bait the trap ( peanut butter is good , bird seed too ) as they get bolder by the day , let them enjoy the free buffet. Once you see they are actively taking the bait every night , that is the time to set the trap. Stake the trap down as a partial hit may cause them to drag off the trap. Putting a large nail through the trap into a dirt floor works.

Removing any food sources is also key. If they are feeding on grain or other things in a barn will give them a solid food source and they may not bother with any bait you have put out. Removing all food sources completely , rats will leave on their own. Rats are very dependent on a food source , without it they will seek out one somewhere else. Areas with livestock always have problems due to uneaten scraps always available. Even just a small flock of chickens ( a dozen ) will have bits of food around. Removing feed from chickens before night takes away the food source and the chickens will clean up any leftovers leaving little for the rats.

Another option is to find a friend with a dog that has natural ratting abilities. Jack Russell terriers are good at this and some other breeds. Barn cats generally don't do this job that well. Unless the cat is a serious mouser, but most cats avoid them , difficult for the cat and rats fight back unlike mice which are easy prey.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I use footholds with a extremely light weight trigger on the pan and set them up in blind sets. Works like a charm if you can identify where they run.

This can work , but I have no experience with it.
Identifying rat runs takes a bit of detective work. Rats like to run along walls for cover. They will also go from object to object for cover. They can climb fairly well. They can also jump a good distance/height. Look for urine staining. It can be in dry droplets/smears they will be just a little off colored to surroundings to sometimes a bit like a weak blood color. You will even see it on walls where they are climbing. Look for oil staining from them rubbing against things as their fur/ bodies have oil. Chew marks are another thing to look for. Rats love to chew. Droppings are also key. Rat droppings are the size and shape of Tic Tacs. Some droppings may be round about the size of airsoft plastic pellets. Mouse droppings are the size and shape of thin rice. UV ( blacklights ) are useful too as the urine fluoresces a bit.

Don't get discouraged. Rats are difficult. Mice are easy , they are dumb. Rats are very smart and wary.
Posted By: Msturm

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 07:41 AM

Put out a live trap for ermine. Release ermine in barn. No more rats.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 09:20 AM

go to the pet store and buy 2-3 ferrets to turn loose and no more rat trouble either
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 10:17 AM

No bedding, I just block off their runs so they have to go across it and they will jump right on to the pan and get caught every time. Of course you need to wire the trap off or they will run off with it if they're not killed instantly. The key is such a light pan that it will go off with almost no pressure.

This is what I do also. I mainly use #1 jump or long spring on them.I also set in there trail.One time I got one that she had her young when in the foothold trap.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 11:25 AM

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSA24KC.html These are nice but pricey .
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 12:43 PM

I like an old #2 Victor sq jaw with hair trigger. Nice big pan for a target while they run along a wall edge.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Msturm

grin
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

grin

X2

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 01:59 PM

Well I caught one in a snap trap last night! I'm hoping that was the only one by the house but I'm afraid it might not be. Should have some more fresh snow tonight so I should know for sure. I guess maybe there's not as much food available around the house than in the barn and that made him a little more bold
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:02 PM

Perhaps a 110 or smaller body grip.....edge set in a run? Blocking as needed? Make a 1-1 1/2" spread in the trigger wires.....or maybe string or wire on the tips? Or a pan trigger? Trap would have to be pretty sensitive.

Always wanted to try a baited 110 for barn rats....... a piece of tootsie roll or bit-o-honey impaled on the tip of one of the whiskers?

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:04 PM

Man I've actually thought of this! I spent last night looking at ferreting and mink man videos lol.

I think I'll try some footholds around the barn. I just have to find some places to put them where I'm less likely to catch the cat that is around occasionally. She's obviously useless anyway.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:06 PM

Like said set along the wall set a foothold along the edge and block it with trash so your pets can’t get caught.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon Benda

Man I've actually thought of this! I spent last night looking at ferreting and mink man videos lol.

I think I'll try some footholds around the barn. I just have to find some places to put them where I'm less likely to catch the cat that is around occasionally. She's obviously useless anyway.

I was going to say....that cat is worhless wink
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:08 PM

Victor snap rat trap-sliver of raw bacon -wrap trigger-thin strip of duct tape around bacon
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:34 PM

I have caught them like beaverpeeler describes. I like to set heavy the first time so I kill as many as possible the first night. Otherwise the left overs can get real spooky when they notice a buddy or two missing.

I think rats are more like beaver and mice are more like muskrats when it comes to trapping. Helps me to think of it that way when targeting them anyway.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 02:50 PM

Caught hundreds just set a number 1 and lay a rag over it.. up next to the wall or in a run as stated Or 1 1/2 but sometimes they twist out of bigger trap

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon Benda
Well I caught one in a snap trap last night! I'm hoping that was the only one by the house but I'm afraid it might not be. Should have some more fresh snow tonight so I should know for sure. I guess maybe there's not as much food available around the house than in the barn and that made him a little more bold

I'm glad to hear you got one. Congrats. The ones around the house are more of a concern , don't need them near your living space. Checking for more with the snow for tracks is a good idea. Another tool is to 'soft plug ' any holes with debris , leaves , grass etc. Just pack them lightly. Check the holes to see if things have been pushed in or out to determine vacancy. Keeping them away from the house is important. If you may have noticed , it is good practice for most restaurants/ supermarkets and the like to keep the trash dumpster away from the building. Trash is a food source for vermin. Keeping it away keeps the problem away from the structure. If the food source is close the building , it is more likely they will habitate the structure. I worked at a big factory once. They had 2 large dumpsters/compactors right at the building for their trash. They had a smaller one aways in the parking lot about 50 yards away from the building. This dumpster was for the cafeteria use.

As some have mentioned , raw bacon and chocolate are good baits too. I've used Hershey syrup with success.

Keep at it , this is not a easy job , but you are on your way.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 03:39 PM

Just a heads up. I heard you mention dogs. I trap a fair amount of rats every year where the only food
Source is dog poop. So keep it cleaned up around the house and that will help.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Just a heads up. I heard you mention dogs. I trap a fair amount of rats every year where the only food
Source is dog poop. So keep it cleaned up around the house and that will help.

Yes. Manure can be a food source.

Good point.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 04:11 PM

Nothing worse than a $hit eaten' rat!
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 04:27 PM

Nothing worse than a $hit eaten' rat!

Does this translate into a Democrat.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 05:48 PM

couple of years ago my dad had some rats move into his barn, tried trapping, but did no good , found a 5' bull snake& took it out there & fed it into one of their holes , they all moved out in a couple of days grin
Dennis
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 07:28 PM

Remove ALL food sources, or they won't have any interest in your traps.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 07:37 PM

I've tried a bunch of ways and have caught about 3 five buckets full of rats. What's worked best for me is my bridger #3s . That's was the only foothold I had so used them. They are 4 coiled, I just tighten the pan si there's no slop side to side and roll. Sprinkle a little ground duff over the trap then sprinkle some grain on the pan and move on. Got 6 dozen rat snap traps and can catch some in them but nothing like the #3s. And instant death.
Posted By: charles

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 07:39 PM

Will the sticky stations hold a rat?

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Remove ALL food sources, or they won't have any interest in your traps.

That would work good , however if there is any livestock around it that may not be possible. Eliminating as much as possible might be a more achievable goal.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Will the sticky stations hold a rat?

They make bigger ones that do.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by iaduckhntr
couple of years ago my dad had some rats move into his barn, tried trapping, but did no good , found a 5' bull snake& took it out there & fed it into one of their holes , they all moved out in a couple of days grin
Dennis

Had some barn rats try moving into the cellar of our old farm house when I was a kid.The old man went to the swamp and came back with a burlap sack of snakes.dumped them in the cellar.within couple weeks,,no more rats and snakes moved back to the swamp.

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by iaduckhntr
Dennis

Had some barn rats try moving into the cellar of our old farm house when I was a kid.The old man went to the swamp and came back with a burlap sack of snakes.dumped them in the cellar.within couple weeks,,no more rats and snakes moved back to the swamp.

Props to the old man.....real old school cool.....all natural pest control before it was invented.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Best way to trap a rat? - 01/13/20 11:14 PM

There are a lot of good suggestions above, my advice get after them fast and hard! IF you don't will never get them under control.
Get rid of any food sources in the barn that they can get at. JMO

*The difference between a win or a loss is one Vote*
© 2024 Trapperman Forums