Home

cabelas closure

Posted By: EdP

cabelas closure - 01/13/20 04:13 PM

To no one's surprise following Cabelas buy out by Bass Pro, the Cabelas store in Bristol Va has closed. Given that there is a Bass Pro at a larger and more successful shopping center just 7 miles south in Bristol Tn, continued operation of both stores made no sense. What was a surprise is that Cabelas closed overnight with no public announcement, and I assume no advance notice to employees given that it had not leaked to the local press. This is just a warning of what to expect from Bass Pro to those working in other Cabelas stores likely to be closed.

There is an almost 5% difference in sales tax between Va and Tn making our local sporting goods stores in Va more competitive.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 04:16 PM

I hope they keep the cabelas here in Maine
Posted By: BigBob

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 06:46 PM

We have a Cabelas and a BP just a few miles apart, the Cabelas is a ghost town compared to what it was before the sale. I'm sure BP would glad for the Cabelas to close up. Johnny Morris has plenty of money, he doesn't need any of mine.
Posted By: Posco

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 06:50 PM

BP is destroying Cabela's at a pretty good clip. I'm wearing Cabela's clothing I bought between ten and fifteen years ago and I wear the clothing more than a hundred days a year. It seems BP is discontinuing the Cabela's clothing line. BP doesn't have much I can't get somewhere else.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 06:53 PM

They re too high price for me, .I go to Scheels , it is the same amount of time for me to go as Cabelas

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by coydog2
They re too high price for me, .I go to Scheels , it is the same amount of time for me to go as Cabelas

We don't have many other options other then Kittery Trading Post here in Maine.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:01 PM

I used to travel to One or two of them....like a day trip thing

Ive been ordering more online since they sold to BP
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:07 PM

Overpriced and BP clothing is not near as good quality a Cabelas.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:21 PM

Cabela's screwed up when they went public back in 2004.
Posted By: waggler

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:24 PM

I can never find what I need at Cabela's anyway. I find Sportsman's Warehouse to be much more to my liking.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:47 PM

Most of these big box sporting store item came from out of the U.S. Remember is MOST not all.

**Any Vote is better than not Voting.**
Posted By: payotetrapper

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:50 PM

BP definitely ruined Cabelas. BP was always cheaper, but Cabelas always had better quality stuff.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 10:53 PM

they could both go belly up and i'd never know.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 11:05 PM

The last Bass Pro I was in was the flagship store in Springfield about 3 years ago. I told them the same thing I always told the folks at my local Bass Pro. And I quote..." It does not matter what I come here looking to buy, you never have it is stock."

Why go out of your way to shop somewhere that does not have what you want. When Cabelas finally opened a store about an hour from me, I had better luck finding stuff there but since Bass Pro took over, I quit going there also. I think I still have a couple of gift cards I need to use and I will be done with Bass Pro and Cabelas. I will find what I need locally or order it from someone else on line.

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 11:06 PM

I mostly enjoy looking at the stuff and mounts at Cabelas then anything.Sure beats the Bangor mall

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 11:43 PM

Cabela's opened their biggest retail store about an hour from me in Hamburg, Pa. back in 2003. It's 250,000 square feet and you could spend most of a day there just sight-seeing. There is a huge walk-thru aquarium stocked with some of the biggest native species I've ever seen, very interesting. There is a giant-sized indoor mountain with full-body mounts of most North-American species. A large trout pond stocked with all the native species of trout with a huge, full-body moose mount standing in it and a bridge going across it. The trophy room has dozens and dozens of head mounts of the biggest whitetail ever taken in North-America.

It's really something to see.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: cabelas closure - 01/13/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
We have a small sportsman warehouse so if you need something your waiting for another store to ship it to are
Store. Mite as well just by it off the net at that point.

Exactly right
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 12:30 AM

Hate seeing what has happened to Cabelas. They had much higher quality gear than Basspro. Have quite a bit of their clothing. I've been to the Cabelas in Hamburg PA. It was awesome. The trout stream and the mountain are what I remember most.
Posted By: MapleHill

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 12:39 AM

I have been to maybe 16 Cabela's stores all over the country. I love the clothes, a little pricey, but I have been wearing some of the hunting clothes for years. I never was a big fan of the Redhead line, I didn't think they were as good as Cabelas. The taxidermy alone is worth visiting the stores, Bass pro, not so much. I guess we'll see what the future brings. Online shopping has taken a toll of the stores.
Posted By: merganser

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 12:52 AM

We have one here in Billings, MT. I don't shop there because their prices are so high. I go to Scheels instead.

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Cabela's opened their biggest retail store about an hour from me in Hamburg, Pa. back in 2003. It's 250,000 square feet and you could spend most of a day there just sight-seeing. There is a huge walk-thru aquarium stocked with some of the biggest native species I've ever seen, very interesting. There is a giant-sized indoor mountain with full-body mounts of most North-American species. A large trout pond stocked with all the native species of trout with a huge, full-body moose mount standing in it and a bridge going across it. The trophy room has dozens and dozens of head mounts of the biggest whitetail ever taken in North-America.

Been there numerous times. Awesome place.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 02:31 AM

Scheels rocks!
Posted By: Rcates

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 03:02 AM

Hedge fund kills Cabela’s, decimates rural economy video explaining how Paul Singer killed Cabela’s and the impact it had.

It finally made bigger national news when Tucker Carlson featured it on his show. For those of you that didn’t know what all went on leading up to the Bass Pro buyout, it’s worth the watch. Was devastating for our friends in western Nebraska. Tucker does a great job.

Posted By: snowy

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 04:10 AM

I stopped buying from them years ago. They were to high priced for me.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
they could both go belly up and i'd never know.

X2
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Been there numerous times. Awesome place.

X3. Also been there several times since I once lived only one hour from it. . I thought all Cabela’s stores were like that one until I visited my second Cabela’s store here in Idaho Falls. I sure was disappointed.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 04:48 AM

I know a guy that knows J Morris. From what he told me all BP wanted was the credit card part of Cabelas and that there will never be another cabelas ever opening. Since the takeover I have not really bought anything. I always bought Cabela Flannel shirts on sale at end of season at great pricing and stored them until needed. BP Redhead flannels do not compare. They shrink more. I wear Large tall and the Cabela flannel fit well until the shirt was wore out. The BP large tall after a few washings does not fit plus all my redhead flannels the collar ends turn up. Redhead flannel------JUNK.
Posted By: Posco

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rcates
Hedge fund kills Cabela’s, decimates rural economy video explaining how Paul Singer killed Cabela’s and the impact it had.

It finally made bigger national news when Tucker Carlson featured it on his show. For those of you that didn’t know what all went on leading up to the Bass Pro buyout, it’s worth the watch. Was devastating for our friends in western Nebraska. Tucker does a great job.

Watched it. Eye opening.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 11:57 AM

The Bass Pro version of that is in Springfield MO. Its pretty cool. They've added a petting zoo since I've been there last. We stay in Branson for a few days and do a Bass Pro day. Highly recomend it. One of the best fisheries / fishing places I know about.

Posted By: west river rogue

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 12:11 PM

watched it,very sad and thanks for the link.

Re: cabelas closure - 01/14/20 12:27 PM

This is what I meant when I said Cabela's screwed up when they went public in 2003. When you take your company public it can mean a huge injection of capital but it also makes it possible for vulture capitalists like Paul Singer to buy in and eventually takeover.

As far as I know, Bass Pro is still a private company?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums