Home

FHA Question

Posted By: ShawneeMan

FHA Question - 01/14/20 01:44 AM

Does FHA broadcast their auctions like NAFA did?
I always liked tracking my lot numbers just to see what they went for.
Posted By: Boco

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 01:47 AM

Nope they don't waste their money on that kind of nonsense.
Posted By: Dan D

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 01:48 AM

Yes they do
Posted By: Boco

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 01:51 AM

Must be new in North Bay.The only time I seen that was when they used Saga.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 03:45 PM

They broadcast them last year but the feed was iffy, kept crashing.
Posted By: jax7725

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 05:01 PM

It also takes much longer for them to update accounts. With the added number of new shippers and expanded volume of fur they are receiving, I would expect this to be even slower this year. Patience will certainly be tested but considering what they are trying to pull off on pretty short notice is pretty incredible when you think about it. I will be curious to see the raw numbers of each species for this first auction. It makes me wonder if they take some species or certain sections and simply wait until the 2nd auction to offer them. I have sent fur to both places the past 6 years and FHA though slower with the technology side of things, I felt had the trappers interests more at heart. I hope they continue to realistically expand their operations and promote wild. The technology side of things will have to get better, but my guess is that will be one of the last things they address. My 2 cents worth anyhow...
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FHA Question - 01/14/20 05:14 PM

I hope they make a bunch of dough so that they can revenue share again! Been a long time since my revenue certificates earned any interest.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 03:18 AM

So the pick-up routes have started in some areas. What are people seeing for volume at the various stops?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 04:27 AM

One of the raps many consistently remind those of us that ship fur or most of our fur is that you have to wait and wait for your money and we have cash in our hands. If I catch fur in November, ship in January and get paid in March I accept that and if I have to wait say an extra day or three for results I am prepared to do so and don't find it to be a big deal to me. I have not shipped to FHA for about 20 years so yes this will be new again for me.

Bryce

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 02:03 PM

The initial prediction after NAFA failed was a huge increase in FHA volume. Just wondering if that is playing out as expected or has the NAFA collapse turned most people off to shipping in general?
Posted By: kingrat

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 03:01 PM

I would guess prob 75% of the coyote guys I know or have talked to have sold to groeny. These are guys that previously shipped to nafa. Hes paying more than most guys Ave last year at the sales cash in hand. No commissions, no waiting. That's alot of western heavy coyotes that arent gonna see an auction this year because of him.
Posted By: Bigmeat

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 03:36 PM

Dropped a full bag off to the FHA route truck on Jan 4th in Chambersburg, PA. First time using FHA, maybe 4 others there shipping and no one had a whole lot of fur. I'd imagine it will be the most volume FHA has ever dealt with but not like adding all of NAFA to there pile. A 25 percent increase seems likely. Down market and greony's increased routes will keep them from being flooded. my 2 cts
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 05:13 PM

One would think that the country buyers that previously used Nafa would now by necessity be switching to FurHarvesters if they're not big enough to sell direct internationally.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 06:25 PM

Small country buyers that previously used NAFA might be “cash poor” depending on how their account is with NAFA.

They might be using FHA but I suspect some of them are either selling to big buyers, like Groenwald, or not buying at all this season.
Posted By: jax7725

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 07:13 PM

I dropped my bags off on the 5th to our FHA rep and his shop was already filling up and he wasn't starting his routes until this past weekend. He stated he was getting on average about 2-3 new accounts every day for the past month or so and expected to fill multiple trucks from what he was hearing. It will be interesting hearing how his routes went the next time I visit with him.
Posted By: red mt

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 07:26 PM

It will be interesting to see I can not believe that if a country buyer is paying equal to auction prices on( coyotes for example) why would shipping be as or more attractive???
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
The initial prediction after NAFA failed was a huge increase in FHA volume. Just wondering if that is playing out as expected or has the NAFA collapse turned most people off to shipping in general?

NAFA collapsed because they tried to bankroll the ranch fur industry and had huge debt and expense, so naturally when as severe a hiccup comes along as has happened with enormous ranch fur production and the consequent implosion of prices with over supply, they could not handle it. Fur Harvesters owns their building and does not finance anything other than a modest advance on a shippers already produced fur that is in FHA's hands. So, do you want your fur put in front of hundreds of buyers and end users, or just one?
Posted By: Flipper

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 09:48 PM

Dropped of in Marshall Minnesota today it was his second stop and he only had 3 bags in the truck. There was only one other trapper besides me and both of us were former nafa shippers. He did say he doubled his load in South Dakota yesterday compared to last year.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 10:14 PM

my only option after seeing the results of the 2 Pa sales last weekend.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 11:11 PM

This will be my 1st dealing with FHA in a long time, hoping it goes well. Gotta run my furs all the way to Green River for drop off though. Gonna miss the pick up here in Cheyenne
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: FHA Question - 01/15/20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Don't know about FHA but our fur sale tripled in volume from the previous year. We'll see if that holds.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 12:05 AM

Just got done bagging up for delivery tomorrow. I used my left over NAFA bags.
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 12:11 AM

FHA needs to expand the pick up routes. Nafa covered the whole state of South Dakota and FHA covers basically a small chunk east river. Im sure the same thing applies to other states.

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 01:38 AM

My fur will be picked up Friday along with some of the fur that has not been sold before by my rat trapping partner. Not a stellar year for me with hip surgery recovery, very high water and flooding and very cold late Oct and early November here. I will count and measure the rats Friday AM. Not as many 2xl rats this season even with about half caught in December.

Bryce

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 01:39 AM

My fur will be picked up Friday along with some of the fur that has not been sold before by my rat trapping partner. Not a stellar year for me with hip surgery recovery, very high water and flooding and very cold late Oct and early November here. I will count and measure the rats Friday AM. Not as many 2xl rats this season even with about half caught in December.

Bryce
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 02:11 AM

Will be dropping off with the truck tomorrow for FHA. Even with the commissions I still have averaged better than the local buyers.

Re: FHA Question - 01/16/20 06:58 PM

Will br dropping off a few bags here later today.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 12:40 AM

I have quite a bit of fur to put up yet, and wont be shipping any with FHA tomorrow, but I do like to market some with them every year. I have had some private offers. The April pick up date will have a lot more fur on the truck.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:13 AM

Or a lot less.

I heard through the grapevine things are a bit slow. And lots of trappers are bit leery of the auctions and are selling In the country.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Or a lot less.

I heard through the grapevine things are a bit slow. And lots of trappers are bit leery of the auctions and are selling In the country.

I really don't see how this would be possible. I doubt they will lose any of their previous shippers from last year that will trap and ship in this market and they are going to gain some of NAFA's shippers who will trap and ship in this market. Other than rats and maybe bobcat, have you seen any impressive country prices? Country coyote prices seem to be okay to bad.

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 03:51 PM

Beav.-go look at strictly trapping and find the thread with the results from the 2 pa sales last weekend and tell me how many guys wanna go that route now.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:09 PM

http://www.ohiostatetrapper.org/bucyrus2020.pdf

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:12 PM

i'm extremely interested in how this sale goes.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:29 PM

You have to remember that FHA won't take green fur. And NAFA lived on green fur. I'm betting that 80% of trappers sell green. So they aren't going to sell through FHA.

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:31 PM

almost all that fur was put up
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 04:52 PM

I sent a dozen coyotes and a couple foxes and 31 spring beavers to FHA. Sold 48 coyotes and 11 foxes to GFW already
Posted By: Squash

Re: FHA Question - 01/17/20 06:43 PM

The agent I shipped through last Saturday, stated, trappers have less fur this year, but there are more trappers shipping with him. Sounds right with NAFA mostly out of the picture.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums