Home

Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville

Posted By: kybeaverman

Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 03:34 AM

I am a Judge Executive in Western Kentucky; while trapping has been my favorite and most passionate hobby for many years, I don't have much time to trap anymore. I have a grandson that is eight; we enjoy hunting, fishing and camping together. I figured that during his Christmas break, I would take him to set out his first short trapline. We caught:mink, muskrat, coon, beaver and he also caught a nice male bobcat. As I suspected, he loved trapping!
Because of my work schedule, I didn't have time to skin and put up our catch, so I decided I would take them to Mr. Wolf. in Evansville, IN. (For years, I have seen his name on Trapperman.)
We didn't have many skins to sell but I wanted my grandson to be in on that part of the process. My grandson, a friend and I arrived late this evening and took our furs into the building where Mr. Wolf was working. He was personal, friendly and most of all genuinely interested in a boy that was learning to trap. He took plenty of time to talk to my grandson and ask him questions about his trapping experience. Considering the fur market, I was pleasantly surprised at what he paid for our furs.
I had not met Mr. Wolf before, but before I left - I felt like that he is one of those legendary people that has done his part for a meaningful way of life, that many of us hold very dear.
Thank you Mr. Wolf for your investment in a child and for your investment in trapping.
Best wishes for a wonderful 2020 and beyond!
Posted By: MrsFord

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 03:40 AM

That is so awesome! smile
Posted By: Netman

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 03:43 AM

What did he pay for your fur?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 03:51 AM

More kids need people like you and Don Wolf in their lives Great Job
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 04:27 AM

I'm glad your grandson got to experience this,that scene was played out countless times in years past,now its about a thing of the past.The older he gets the more he'll appreciate it.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten

X100
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/15/20 04:37 AM

AWESOME
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 12:22 AM

Hey Ky Beaverman good job love to see the kids who have an interest in the trapping. The more we can introduce them to and teach them the more they understand the real cycles of life. The way it should be. What county are y’all located in?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten

Isn't that the truth!
Posted By: RonH

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 12:45 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing. Thanks to you for passing on the trapping tradition and to Mr Wolf for doing it right.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 01:28 AM

You mean that old fur barron didn't rip the kid off? I thought that's all fur buyers ever did? lol.

It is SAD the country buyer's are about all gone now never to be seen again, is a lost art no doubt.

Thanks for sharing your story, nice to read something nice now and then vs the crap we have to wade
through daily.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 01:44 AM

Bill Bailey of Baileys Trapping Supply here in NH....threw my son a bottle of Mink lure on the house....20 years ago ,when he was 10 years old...and said ...”Now go catch your first mink “ . My sons eyes lit up ..like Christmas tree....will Nevah forget it.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 02:23 AM

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 03:11 AM

Glad to hear
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 03:41 AM

Excellent.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 08:51 AM

Thank you my friend, your words mean a lot to an old fur buyer. You are the person that needs the praise Sir. You are the man that made sure the young man was educated into our way of life. I hope he will follow your guidance through out his life. This world needs more men like yourself and your friend that came with you and your grandson. If we all work together, maybe we can keep our heritage alive for many more years. I also have a grandson that loves trapping. He just turned 16 and has been on my line with me for the last 7 years. This is the first season that I have not been able to have that fella on my line since he was 9 years old. I have had some health issues this season and have pretty much been busy in my shop this season putting up Coyote and Beaver. I still have a lot of time to trap Beaver and Otter, so I pretty much think I will still get him out in the next few weeks so that I can see that gleam in his eyes.
Every one of us should try our best to educate a young man or young Lady. Good luck to one and all.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 09:05 AM

Very good
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Sold Fur to Don Wolf in Evansville - 01/16/20 09:47 AM

Excellent in all respects!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums