Home

Headed to Kansas

Posted By: gillbilly

Headed to Kansas - 01/15/20 03:56 PM

Leave Friday for north central area. Wondering if there are any trapper supply stores I can visit. Will be there until 1/24 and just looking for something to do if weather is crappy.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/15/20 05:31 PM

Worlds Largest Ball of Twine.

Cawker City

https://www.kansassampler.org/8wonders/8wondersofkansas-view.php?id=19
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/15/20 06:17 PM

I spent a week turkey hunting in Mankato a few years back. Asked the lady in the gas station where the beer was, she looked at me like I was an alien and pointed out the window and said "Nebraska"! Didn't think dry counties still existed but the 45 minute drive to Nebraska sure was worth it.
Posted By: Rcates

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/15/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
I spent a week turkey hunting in Mankato a few years back. Asked the lady in the gas station where the beer was, she looked at me like I was an alien and pointed out the window and said "Nebraska"! Didn't think dry counties still existed but the 45 minute drive to Nebraska sure was worth it.

It mustve been Sunday
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/15/20 06:28 PM

Death ray and pelter operations of Lee Stienmeyer would be a must if it was me.believe he has a museum and hall of fame and i bet you could even get him to show ya how the pro's do it. grin

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 12:57 AM

Ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. Been going there for 10 years now. Nothing better than Kansas in January.

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
Death ray and pelter operations of Lee Stienmeyer would be a must if it was me.believe he has a museum and hall of fame and i bet you could even get him to show ya how the pro's do it. grin

Can you give me a location? Would really enjoy checking it out and possibly purchasing. I know I could Google but that would be too easy grin
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by gillbilly
Originally Posted by pcr2

Can you give me a location? Would really enjoy checking it out and possibly purchasing. I know I could Google but that would be too easy grin

You could send him a PM on here and get a location. Also, he may share some of his home made wine with you. He's a master vintner.

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 01:19 AM

Tjanks Paul. Will do.

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 01:24 AM

Being from Wisconsin I travel prepared. Ive also scouted and have found a few watering holes crazy
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Headed to Kansas - 01/16/20 01:34 AM

Well that explains a lot! We’d always take a few bottles of Crown with us and give it as appreciation gifts when asking for private land opportunities. It got to where they were calling me every Spring asking if I was coming back and placing an order for their drink of choice, lol! Folks out there were some of the nicest I’ve met. Went for 8 years straight until everyone and their brother started hunting out there. Killed some fine looking Rio’s while it lasted. Got several friends and family their first Rio’s as well. Gonna have to make a trip back out there in a year or two.
One thing I remember is the amount of coons and coyotes. Killed at least 2 coyotes every trip...turkey calls are deadly on them. Also ran into my first badger out there. Heck, had to Google to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw.
Thanks for the memories with that post.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums