Home

Painting / Dipping Body Grips

Posted By: CajunMan

Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 03:59 PM

How do you fellas do it? Spray paint or what?
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 04:20 PM

I like brown speed dip(w/ white gas) and then use a little spray paint to breakup the outline... best to do in the summer so has plenty of time to dry and become scent free
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 04:21 PM

Well I do all my water based traps and my BGs with latex paint.
I mix one gallon of paint with 2 gallons of water. Mix well dip the trap and remove shake off the excess and hang to dry. The paint likes to settle out so you need to keep mixing as you dip.

Traps are ready to set the next day. And It's super cheap most water based dips will cost you $16.00 a quart but you can buy a gallon of latex paint for around $20.00.

Spraying traps takes time and there Is a lot of waste with the over spray.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 05:38 PM

Rustoleum brown primer.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 05:43 PM

Yep, rustoleum primer mixed 50-50 with acetone.
Posted By: Nodak63

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 05:44 PM

My only water trapping is beaver under ice. I’ve never painted or dipped my 330’s but only been doing it a couple years. Is it necessary? Are you guys doing it to try to disguise them or just to protect them/for longevity? I can’t imagine beaver can really smell/see 330’s under ice in murky water very well.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Yep, rustoleum primer mixed 50-50 with acetone.

2X... sometimes on BG's I dilute it even more
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 05:58 PM

The Speed dip leaves a nice coating that protects against corrosion as well as lube the spring to jaw making a faster trap
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 06:31 PM

I dipped mine in brown latex paint then hit them with a little green using a spray can for a camo look.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 07:23 PM

I used rustoleum paint/acetone mix 50-50. The body grips will be slick, I used a chainsaw file and a sand paper to retune them.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

[Linked Image]
Usually I spray with Rustoleum Primer& add some xtra colors depends
I have dipped in latex before. And before that logwood dyes

Rust protection for the Trap. In the spring or fall open water Rust has a detectable odor.
Posted By: MJM

I always used speed dip with white gas thinned out good. I would dip them 12 to a bundle.
[Linked Image]

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 11:25 PM

Sprayed well they last 2-3 seasons. Touch up is simple
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 11:41 PM

When you dip in paint, do you remove the old paint before recoating, or do you just recoat over the older paint?

I've always used speed dip with white gas. That process is easy, and never any problem with build-up. I can put as light or heavy a coating on traps as I want, and it last a 2-3 seasons before I redo them. The paint is slightly cheaper I guess, and probably more readily available. I'm just wondering if there's a point where you have extra cleaning to do so that they can be recoated with paint.

Spray painting them would be too much work (and paint) for someone with a 100 or more bodygrips, IMO.

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by cfowler
When you dip in paint, do you remove the old paint before recoating, or do you just recoat over the older paint?

I've always used speed dip with white gas. That process is easy, and never any problem with build-up. I can put as light or heavy a coating on traps as I want, and it last a 2-3 seasons before I redo them. The paint is slightly cheaper I guess, and probably more readily available. I'm just wondering if there's a point where you have extra cleaning to do so that they can be recoated with paint.

Spray painting them would be too much work (and paint) for someone with a 100 or more bodygrips, IMO.

Thats true

I paint over mine
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/15/20 11:47 PM

I run through each trap with a steel brush to get any of the rust or flakes off and then just re-dip.

The reason to do this for me isn't so much to camo the trap but is to protect the steel and speed the trap up. Pits and rust will slow it down over time.

Also the dipped trap tends to repel mud and dirt a little better.

And finally, a rusty trap will tend to stick to animal fur so it pulls out a little of the underfur when you remove the animal, also can leave rust stains in the fur.
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/16/20 12:25 AM

Thanks fellas. I’ve alway used speed dip in the past but it takes so long to dry even when mixed thin. Even though it gets hotter than Africa here in Louisiana, I guess maybe the humidity slows down the drying some.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Painting / Dipping Body Grips - 01/16/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nodak63
My only water trapping is beaver under ice. I’ve never painted or dipped my 330’s but only been doing it a couple years. Is it necessary? Are you guys doing it to try to disguise them or just to protect them/for longevity? I can’t imagine beaver can really smell/see 330’s under ice in murky water very well.

Paint or dip is for speed of trap firing....and trap preservation. I just had a Bridger Mag 330 safety latch break...from rust...Thankfully my hand wasn’t in there. And that’s THE ONLY safety evah to fail on me.....I’ll have to post a pic later
© 2024 Trapperman Forums