Home

Home Depot SUCKS!

Posted By: Finster

Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:42 PM

Well, you think I would learn my lesson. NOPE! Back in the day, I remember home depot had just about anything you were looking for. Now they hardly ever have what I'm looking for or if they do, zero brand selection. I get disgusted every time I go there so awhile back, I quit going. Last week I'm looking for 40lb propane tanks for the camper. Home depot has some online for $75 each with free shipping. Well, I throw caution to the wind and order two. Today I get one and only one. So I call and after pushing a thousand different buttons I get a human (actually spoke English! Impressive) Then the normal hold of about 20 more minutes while he tries to figure things out. Well, they only shipped one and have no more in stock so he refunded half my money and said sorry. What a way to run a railroad. I guess I'll just have to get the other one over at TSC for $25 more and chalk it up to trusting Home Depot for the last time. They are really driving that company into the ground.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:44 PM

take a couple aspirin and eat an onion,it'll be ok.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

I'm in the process of building a wall in the shop with quick change drywall for the purpose of punching holes into so I can relieve my pent up anger. smirk
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

I'm in the process of building a wall in the shop with quick change drywall for the purpose of punching holes into so I can relieve my pent up anger. smirk

Hahahaha!!!

Thats great!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:49 PM

I hate them and lowes.If stuff you buy at either place breaks you can't bring stuff back.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 08:53 PM

mark the studs. wink
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:04 PM

I call them Home Cheapo or Home Creep Show.....lol

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:11 PM

FYI
Good tip for HD or Lowes etc.

If you are getting a piece of drywall but don't need a full sheet , like doing a repair. There is usually one on top of the pile with a broken bit or corner missing. Find an employee. They will sell you the defective sheet a lot of times for $1. They just want it gone.

Also if buying a box of nails or screws , there will be one on top patched up with tape. Find an employee , lot of times 1/2 price. Again , they just want it gone.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:37 PM

Just damage stuff when no one is looking then demand the discount.
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:38 PM

Blasphemy

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:47 PM

Got a $700 propane fireplace sitting in my living room which is one year old.Stopped working.Got the repairman over as you can't bring it back to Lowes.$140 later it needs a new part that can't be ordered from Lowes but from the manufacturer. Called and ordered exactly what repairman wanted.Got it in the mail and $140 more dollars later it's the wrong part they sent.Im not putting anymore money into it and will buy a new one come summer.Got a full 100 pound propane tank I can't even use.On top of that having alot of problems with a maytag clothes washer bought at home depot.Again cant bring it back but did get a maytag repairman fix it for now.Darn thing has a brain in it just like vehicles now in days.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Lol.....reminds me of an episode of 'All in the family ' when Archie Bunker went shopping with Edith. He found out dented cans were marked down. He got a hammer in the market and started denting the cans in the shopping cart. It was a funny episode.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar

Lol.....reminds me of an episode of 'All in the family ' when Archie Bunker went shopping with Edith. He found out dented cans were marked down. He got a hammer in the market and started denting the cans in the shopping cart. It was a funny episode.

Boco = Archie Bunker

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:04 PM

Walleyed=Edith

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:06 PM

pcr=meathead
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:06 PM

Menards is the only good home improvement store. I could spend hours wandering around there, and spend thousands of dollars.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:07 PM

pcr=meathead

left myself open there didn't i. grin
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:10 PM

Lol

I got a rant about them as well!

Went there for tools last week. Had 800$ worth of tools in the cart alone and I was paying cash!!!!!!!!! Had all four kids and my wife with me in the store. Went up to check out and of course only self check out was open.

1. Had to ask a group of 5 employees standing in front of check out Lane to move just so I could get to it.
2. I asked if I could get a real cashier because I was using cash. They told me machines took cash, pointed at one, then went right back to talking.
3. My wife knew I as about to loose it so she nudged me and said she would do it. So I stood there as my wife proceeded to try and give this machine 800$ in cash.
4. Machine wouldn't take one of the 20$ bills about half way into it. Machine started to say customer needs assistance. Yes, they were all still standing there talking. None came to help!
5. So I said HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about one of you come help!? No joke! They all grabbed carts that were full of merchandise and walked away. So I yelled again telling one of them to get their butt over here and help. An old man that was helping another costermer came over. Not even one of the ones who was there. He told me he whitnessesed everything and was appolagizing to both my wife and I.
6. Made him give me all my cash back which he had to call a manager up to do!
7. Then I left another full cart of crap there for the turds to put back.

I only went there because Lowe's didn't have Milwaukee. So now I'm done with Milwaukee and back to Craftsman because the is what Lowe's carries!

Funny part is that I went to Lowe's 1st and left to go to home Depot just for the Milwaukee brand! I went back to Lowe's and ended up buying all Craftsman. When I came back through the check out the same cashier was there that I talked to 1st time. She was laughing so hard she could barely ring me up.

She told me I was the 3rd one her shift come back. She also said it is getting to be an inside joke at the store and that they are picking up a lot more in retail because of it.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:10 PM

Yep,sorry man I couldn't resist.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:11 PM

They are only a few blocks from each other.

Now I know why so !any carts were left full of stuff. I actually wondered why when we entered the store.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:11 PM

I bought a zero turn Cub Cadet mower from them on line in from the Williston store that was closing. It was 50% off. The only option was to have it delivered free. I was leaving for AK in a few days and left before it got to the house. I had told my wife to make sure she checked the oil before she started it. I called her one night and she said the mower came and she took it off the skid and checked the oil and started mowing. The mower bound up and would not steer correct in about 3/10s of an hour. I told he to contact Home Depot in Minot. She called them and they told her to bring it in. She loaded it on the trailer and hauled it in. They looked at it and said it was something Williston did not do before delivery. They gave her a new mower and $100 gift certificate. So at this point I have no problem with Home Depot. The new mower runs fine.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Menards is the only good home improvement store. I could spend hours wandering around there, and spend thousands of dollars.

And I've screwed twice by Menards with their 11% rebate scam.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:12 PM

I'll try Menards out some time.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:14 PM

They got some real dozeys working there(foreigners).I bought some lumber and stuff there last summer and a few times they only charged for half the stuff on the cart.
I guess I'll keep shopping there-great way to get return business.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:21 PM

Here ya go , 7min clip of the can denting.....lol

https://youtu.be/6dVycer8lYA

Enjoy , classic Bunker.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:27 PM

Wow, you guys must be hard to get along with, lol
I have no problems with either store..as long as you know what you need, lord help you if you need to ask a question.... grin

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Wow, you guys must be hard to get along with, lol
I have no problems with either store..as long as you know what you need, lord help you if you need to ask a question.... grin

True , most employees there know very little. A friend of mine worked there once. He was however , knowledgeable. Scary thing was people would come in to do major renovation and didn't know one end of a hammer from the other , he wanted to tell them they were in way over their head , but no , corporate policy was to help them and explain everything in detail. They would be back time and time again for more information and to buy stuff they screwed up the first time.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 10:50 PM

I have bought some Ridgid tools there, including a hammer drill I use as an ice auger, a big battery for the drill and a little radio that plugs into the batteries. All bought on sale with significant savings over MSRP, plus all items have a lifetime service agreement. That LSA on the batteries is well worth it.

I've never had any issues with them, and I like that their website shows exactly where in the store the item I'm looking for is located.
Posted By: corky

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
I have bought some Ridgid tools there, including a hammer drill I use as an ice auger, a big battery for the drill and a little radio that plugs into the batteries. All bought on sale with significant savings over MSRP, plus all items have a lifetime service agreement. That LSA on the batteries is well worth it.

I've never had any issues with them, and I like that their website shows exactly where in the store the item I'm looking for is located.

Thanks TLguy. I'm going to look into that. I always go to Menards because I can never find what I'm looking for at Home Depot and there is never anyone to ask.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:02 PM

I call them Home Cheapo or Home Creep Show.....lol

: grin
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:11 PM

Cheapo Depot
Posted By: k snow

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:12 PM

Home Despot.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
I have bought some Ridgid tools there, including a hammer drill

Keep in mind , some things are not what they seem to be. Large chain hardware stores have stuff that look the same , act the same but are not.
I was told by a Dewalt guy once that they make special items to sell to large places like this. Buy a Dewalt drill directly from Dewalt and it has metal gears , buy one the looks the same from a big retailer and it has plastic gears. They do this because big chains negotiate deals to get it cheaper than smaller stores. Walmart has been doing this for years.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:27 PM

well you did get one cheaper than you would have if you got both at TSC
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/15/20 11:46 PM

Quit them about 8 years ago. They are 30 miles away in a town im in two or three times a month but instead of fooling with them id drive 60 miles to a Lowes if I need anything. Did same thing with Sears 20 years ago now they're all shut down, be fine with me if depot shuts the doors, then a lowes could move into that town.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 12:56 AM

Sounds like you guys need a Canadian Tire!
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 01:12 AM

Oh, they do. I work at Lowes and we sell busted bags of soil, mulch, etc 50% off. You'd be shocked how many times I've caught people ripping open bags. Just today, actually.

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Got a $700 propane fireplace sitting in my living room which is one year old.Stopped working.Got the repairman over as you can't bring it back to Lowes.$140 later it needs a new part that can't be ordered from Lowes but from the manufacturer. Called and ordered exactly what repairman wanted.Got it in the mail and $140 more dollars later it's the wrong part they sent.Im not putting anymore money into it and will buy a new one come summer.Got a full 100 pound propane tank I can't even use.On top of that having alot of problems with a maytag clothes washer bought at home depot.Again cant bring it back but did get a maytag repairman fix it for now.Darn thing has a brain in it just like vehicles now in days.

We take back things up to 90 days without a receipt, 1 year with a receipt, or up to I believe 3 years if you buy the extended warranty deal. Not many places will let your return something over a year old. But, we are a big box store. We deal in sales strictly, NOT repair. If you want something you can buy and then take back to the same place to be repaired, you'd need to buy direct from a dealer.
Posted By: charles

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 03:39 AM

Vets get 10% discount on everything in the store. Lowe’s does too. Same for Ace Hardware.

No so at WalMart.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 03:40 PM

Now they hardly ever have what I'm looking for or if they do, zero brand selection.
An early, reliable symptom of financial doom. If I had any stock, I'd sell it now.

Anybody want to buy my Mill's Fleet Farm stock?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Now they hardly ever have what I'm looking for or if they do, zero brand selection.
An early, reliable symptom of financial doom. If I had any stock, I'd sell it now.

Anybody want to buy my Mill's Fleet Farm stock?

Don't get me started on Fleet Farm. Though at least they still have cashier's.

I used to think Home Depot stores were bad, then I tried using their website. Horrible.

And I hate the indoor lumber yard. I have to load 200 2x4s on a cart, push it through the store then load them in my truck? I'll go to the local lumberyard, thank you.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 09:16 PM

Couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot at Home Depot. Decided I would take it in to the store and leave it with them. Took one look at the employees and decided no way am I going to leave it there-guy will never see it again. Dug thru it until I found a phone number and called the guy and he was there in 10 minutes.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot at Home Depot. Decided I would take it in to the store and leave it with them. Took one look at the employees and decided no way am I going to leave it there-guy will never see it again. Dug thru it until I found a phone number and called the guy and he was there in 10 minutes.

Good choice
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 09:47 PM

I never had any issues with HD or Lowe’s. I buy at both.

I bought a washing machine 10 years ago at HD, with the extended 3 year warranty. It started to leak water a month before warranty expired. Repair guys came out ( contracted by HD, not there employees ) and failed to fix the problem. I went to the store, talked to the manager....he told me to pick out a new one, and gave me a free 3 year warranty on it.

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 09:56 PM

Hey Finster-Finster-guess what day it is???

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DUMPDAY
Posted By: keets

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 11:40 PM

I'll take a local lumberyard anyday over any big box store, building materials are much higher quality, as are the tools

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by keets
I'll take a local lumberyard anyday over any big box store, building materials are much higher quality, as are the tools

X2
Unfortunately , big box places put them out of business.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/16/20 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by keets

Same here, just had a lumber package delivered (for free) from a local company that’s been around since 1939 and is growing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have commercial accounts at both Home Depot and Lowe’s but I rarely use them unless the customer insists. They sometimes charge exorbitant delivery fees and rare are the times that they don’t screw up an order. And, as said above, the quality just isn’t there.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/17/20 12:49 AM

Of the two, I prefer Lowe’s. Think it’s a color thing but not certain. Actually, I can find more of what I need at Lowe’s. But, I do get my tools at HD. Milwaukee is all I buy these days. Won’t go back to anything else anymore.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/17/20 02:23 PM

Seems like a guy can have bad experience at any them places now days. We have HD here but it's farther than Menards so I usually do Menards. Have an Ace Hardware within walking distance. Nice when just need to grab a couple things or some odd thing. But hard to beat Menards if ya want to load a cart or have more price range choices..Been hearing their is a Cost Co coming to the area. Them I know nothing about.
Do remember back when Menards guys would try throw 2X4s on truck so crooked could screw them into the load..I'd throw them back off they said no, no, no sorting. So I threw whole load off got my money back..But that was way back and I've actually had guys help me pick straight stuff now?? all seems to comes down to individual clerk that helps ya now days. Does seem here that Ace Hardware has best most knowledgeable help.

Mac
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/17/20 09:00 PM

When I go to any of those kind of stores and I have to open a box to see what's in it before I buy it, I always put that box back on the shelf and take one which is unopened because who wants to buy something that some jackhole has rifled through?
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/17/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Seems like a guy can have bad experience at any them places now days. We have HD here but it's farther than Menards so I usually do Menards. Have an Ace Hardware within walking distance. Nice when just need to grab a couple things or some odd thing. But hard to beat Menards if ya want to load a cart or have more price range choices..Been hearing their is a Cost Co coming to the area. Them I know nothing about.
Do remember back when Menards guys would try throw 2X4s on truck so crooked could screw them into the load..I'd throw them back off they said no, no, no sorting. So I threw whole load off got my money back..But that was way back and I've actually had guys help me pick straight stuff now?? all seems to comes down to individual clerk that helps ya now days. Does seem here that Ace Hardware has best most knowledgeable help.

Mac

I usually tell them no thanks to help picking out lumber and loading. If I'm paying, I will choose what I want.
Posted By: deadeye59

Re: Home Depot SUCKS! - 01/18/20 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Oh, they do. I work at Lowes and we sell busted bags of soil, mulch, etc 50% off. You'd be shocked how many times I've caught people ripping open bags. Just today, actually.

Originally Posted by Bruce T

We take back things up to 90 days without a receipt, 1 year with a receipt, or up to I believe 3 years if you buy the extended warranty deal. Not many places will let your return something over a year old. But, we are a big box store. We deal in sales strictly, NOT repair. If you want something you can buy and then take back to the same place to be repaired, you'd need to buy direct from a dealer.

Apparently all of the Lowes did not get the same memo on returns. I inadvertantly bought the wrong thickness of trim but I live 200 miles from Lowes so it was 5 months before I could get back to return it with the reciept. Nope has to be returned within 90 days. So now I have a load of trim that I can't use because it was not returned within 90 days.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums