Home

Beaver under ice on river

Posted By: TTP

Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 03:17 AM

Thought I quit trapping around Christmas, but have been thinking about doing some more. I thought of going for some beaver under ice on a smallish river. Was wondering the best approach to go about doing it.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 03:31 AM

Not to be a Richard but do it carefully. Wear a life jacket and go with a partner and have a length of rope with you! Good luck and I hope you catch a few!

Chris
Posted By: white17

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 03:39 AM

Snares
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 06:00 AM

Snares the way to go on small rivers White17? I have a river full of houses like that. Snares on poles or loose snares with bait? Throw a couple 330, swinging Suzie's in for effect?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 07:11 AM

I like 750s on a platform. Any current to speak of?
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Not to be a Richard but do it carefully. Wear a life jacket and go with a partner and have a length of rope with you! Good luck and I hope you catch a few!

Chris

Chris

Chris

Screw you, Richard
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 10:10 AM

yes be careful cant believe you have much ice , we don't here
Posted By: Actor

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 03:03 PM

Yes do be careful... if you have 3 or 4 inches of ice everywhere …. you may only have an inch of ice around a feed bed or a beaver lodge. Good luck.

Garry-
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 04:18 PM

How small a river?Any channels?Any points of land above or below the house's I'd have 330 blind sets up against the point with a few feet of fencing outside of the 330.Id also block off any channels around the feedbed as well.

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Snares the way to go on small rivers White17? I have a river full of houses like that. Snares on poles or loose snares with bait? Throw a couple 330, swinging Suzie's in for effect?

That has always been the most effective for me. Swinging Suzies work too but not quite as well. as a snare. Just loose snares with a bait in the center of hole.

If you have a lot of current you may need to play around a bit to stabilize the loops
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 05:06 PM

As a number have stated, and as a survivor, don't do it. Trapping through the ice on a river can be extremely dangerous; thickness can vary greatly, and if there is a currant and you should go through you can be in a world of hurt.. My own experience was on a beaver pond and when I went through it was instantly, no warning.. I have trapped through the ice on small rivers,but peering down from above water depths can be deceptive. These days I wear a life jacket no matter where I am on ice. Secondly wear a pair of ice fisherman picks around your neck in order to get a hold to pull yourself out, should you go through. No beaver is worth your life.

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by muskrat411

That has always been the most effective for me. Swinging Suzies work too but not quite as well. as a snare. Just loose snares with a bait in the center of hole.

If you have a lot of current you may need to play around a bit to stabilize the loops

Thanks White17 I doubt there will be much current the ice is supper thick. We had lots of -30+ and a bit of -40 and not much snow. Probably have to use an auger extension. For the loose snares I will probably have to order Thompson snares from Washington, I don't think anyone sells them in Canada. I mainly been setting in the runways this year, when I can find thin ice.

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
As a number have stated, and as a survivor, don't do it. Trapping through the ice on a river can be extremely dangerous; thickness can vary greatly, and if there is a currant and you should go through you can be in a world of hurt.. My own experience was on a beaver pond and when I went through it was instantly, no warning.. I have trapped through the ice on small rivers,but peering down from above water depths can be deceptive. These days I wear a life jacket no matter where I am on ice. Secondly wear a pair of ice fisherman picks around your neck in order to get a hold to pull yourself out, should you go through. No beaver is worth your life.

I disagree!!

Re: Beaver under ice on river - 01/16/20 05:33 PM

Yeah the Thompsons will work fine . Might have to hook two together to get below the bottom of the ice
© 2024 Trapperman Forums