Home

a few birds

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

a few birds - 01/17/20 10:56 AM

wife an I see a few birds I our driveway every year in winter ,yesterday was sunny first sunny day in a while ,the birds really like it [Linked Image]
there was 7 partridge an 6 pheasant all with in 70 feet of each other
Posted By: pcr2

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 11:03 AM

i'd have to get a feeder goin for them so i could watch from the house.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 12:12 PM

Did one of your neighbors raise the pheasant ?

Jim
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 12:26 PM

Haven't seen a pheasant here in years.
Posted By: topknot

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 12:40 PM

those look to be grouse, not pheasant.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 01:19 PM

Very nice.Alot around here.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 01:39 PM

Healthy population grin
Posted By: Taximan

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by topknot
those look to be grouse, not pheasant.

He is calling ruffex grouse,partridge.Pheasants aren't in the picture.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 04:40 PM

Partridge is what many, many people call Ruffed grouse in the Upper Great Lakes region. I grew up calling them that....or just "Pats". I don't believe I ever heard my Grandad call a grouse a grouse, it just weren't done! As for TD's pheasants that are not in the photo, well, the U.P. has enough Ringnecks to have a season in a few counties with enough ag land to help support them, although even in the traditional pheasant country of the southern Lower Peninsula they are not anywhere near as common as they were when I was a very young kid.
Posted By: Posco

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Partridge is what many, many people call Ruffed grouse in the Upper Great Lakes region. I grew up calling them that....or just "Pats". I don't believe I ever heard my Grandad call a grouse a grouse, it just weren't done! As for TD's pheasants that are not in the photo, well, the U.P. has enough Ringnecks to have a season in a few counties with enough ag land to help support them, although even in the traditional pheasant country of the southern Lower Peninsula they are not anywhere near as common as they were when I was a very young kid.

I feel kind of snobby when I refer to them as grouse in my neck of the woods. Most people refer to them as partridge or birds. Seeing any birds? Most guys who run dogs after them refer to them as grouse. I ran dogs.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

Lots of people around here refer to ruffed grouse as partridge. I refer to them as "good eatin"!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 04:56 PM

Great pic that's more pats then I saw all year here used to have a few pheasant here also Last one I saw was walking across a large snow-covered field about dark with several owls Hooting nearby
Posted By: Getting There

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 07:03 PM

[quote=bobsheedy]
Haven't seen a pheasant here in years.[/quot
X2
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 07:05 PM

Alot of patridge(grouse) here in northern Maine
Posted By: snowy

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 07:41 PM

We call them by the type of bird they are in my parts. Someday I might able to get a good picture of a bunch of cocks gathered under some brush on a cold day getting warm. It always seems they fly before I can get a good picture.
We have a lot of pheasants and I actually harvested a couple this year at the ranch.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: a few birds - 01/17/20 09:18 PM

Trapper Dahlgren Nice picture If you have one put out a trail cam where they are feeding . You would get some really great shots I 'll bet Snowy also a very nice picture .I started my hunting days many years ago hunting pheasants They are one of my favorite types of hunting
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: a few birds - 01/18/20 12:06 AM

I tried to use that word snowy, the thing said it was unacceptable, the word most use to say the gun is ready
Posted By: snowy

Re: a few birds - 01/18/20 01:26 AM

^ Roosters then. Lol It must have known you have a dirty mind and my intent wasn't! Lol I never even gave that a thought.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: a few birds - 01/18/20 01:30 AM

Yeah, how did you do that?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums