Home

Trying a new coyote set with ashes

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:20 AM

Anyone ever try it? I have a ton of ash from my wood stove.
Made Two sets with it today in the snow one is kind of like a scent post and
The other like a flat set but in a circle of ash. Kinda curious what will happen.
I put a trail cam on the one set so will see what happens in the next week or so.
I thought it would be great for eye appeal but we are suppose to get another 6 inches of snow
Tonight so that aspect of it will go away quick .
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:22 AM

I know when we burn down here critters will be in while it’s still smoking. Guess they’re looking for what might be “cooked” and edible.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:25 AM

Never know until you try. Will be interesting to see the pic.

*Voting can make the difference.*
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:42 AM

Here's a video of my coyote, Katie, checking out some burnt wood, I posted here before, from a couple of months ago. I had dumped a grill containing wood coals, I had cooked pork on, on that wood to start it. I scattered that wood after we were done with the fire, to put it out. A fair amount of time and rain passed and the smell still interested her.

I suspect the ashes would work better if fat, meat or bone had been burned to make them, but that they will attract attention.

At least one of the trapping books I have mentioned a camp fire set.

Keith
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:51 AM

The pictures will be cool to see
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 02:25 AM

You will attract rabbits.
We use stove ashes in a jackpot pen to snare rabbits in winter.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Any reason why they are attracted to ashes? Never heard that
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Originally Posted by Boco

Any reason why they are attracted to ashes? Never heard that

Now thats Interesting!
Posted By: Barredowl

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 03:34 AM

I know a guy that used to use a charred bone from a steak or roast in coyote sets. He noticed coyotes always checked out campfires where he'd camped and cooked over a fire and grease had dripped in the fire or they had thrown bones in the fire. He said think about it, the old fire puts off a lot of smell. I watched my parents dog spend a fair amount time digging fat drippings out of a pile of ashes under Dad's weber grill just last weekend as I was dying my traps. Just looked like he was eating ashes but there was something there he was after. I would think the food aspect of the burned bones might be attractive to coons and opossums too though?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 05:04 AM

Old timers used to put out about a half a bale of hay and set there traps in it much like the hay set. Only they would add a few strips of bacon or meat scraps and burn the pile of hay. The fire would remove any unwanted scent from the traps and partially cook the meat. I know it works on fox and don't see why it won't work for coyotes. Making a variation of this set with just ashes should work just fine I would think.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 06:40 AM

check out page 25 of this thread on burning hide and bone for canine attractor.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4211144/25/akhowlers-trapline-journal
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 07:10 AM

I assume rabbits would be attracted to ashes for the concentrated minerals they contain. Like a salt lick.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 09:32 AM

I used ashes from my machine shed stove that had been used as a litter box by a slew of cats. Works great!
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 09:53 AM

Best I remember in very wet conditions the ashes will melt together and pack pretty hard, so go lite on the jaws and levers or they will come up slow. I just put a cat nugget behind the hole or in it.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 01:32 PM

It's like the old CAMP FIRE SET...barredowl touched on it....I use it and obviously its not a long liner type set but around regularly used trails or "people" areas it works good. Find a good set location where critters are traveling through. Dig out a trap bed for your size trap. Take some paper products, cardboards items create good heat...and mix in small chunks of fish, muskrat, beaver, coon etc... something edible. Make a small (controlled) fire over your trap bed and sprinkle in your meats... let fire burn down to ash. I like to wait a day or two then set trap in your pre-dug hole (I like to use a drag on these traps). After bedding your trap cover with ashes that are left over. You can leave it as is or use food based attractors at set. I use a punch hole near trap and use my attractor there. Hope this helps...
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
It's like the old CAMP FIRE SET...barredowl touched on it....I use it and obviously its not a long liner type set but around regularly used trails or "people" areas it works good. Find a good set location where critters are traveling through. Dig out a trap bed for your size trap. Take some paper products, cardboards items create good heat...and mix in small chunks of fish, muskrat, beaver, coon etc... something edible. Make a small (controlled) fire over your trap bed and sprinkle in your meats... let fire burn down to ash. I like to wait a day or two then set trap in your pre-dug hole (I like to use a drag on these traps). After bedding your trap cover with ashes that are left over. You can leave it as is or use food based attractors at set. I use a punch hole near trap and use my attractor there. Hope this helps...

Charles Dobbins burnt hay set works good for me.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 02:55 PM

I kind of just wanted to use the ash instead of dry dirt or peat moss since
I have a bunch of it. Those other sets mentioned sound like they would work but
Not feasible for putting in a lot of sets
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 03:07 PM

charred wood with urine has a chemical reaction to canines.....make burn post we call them.
Campfire and burn sets have been around forever....as a kid i caught my first gray fox double in one,,combination buried bait set in ashes and charred wood.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Trying a new coyote set with ashes - 01/18/20 04:29 PM

Make the set like a camp fire and use the ashes to bed the trap and try out some fat or grease burnt next to the trap .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums