Home

Crazy colored coyote today

Posted By: PA.Trapper

Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:04 PM

[Linked Image]
I've caught alot of coyotes in the last 44 years of trapping and they are all usually our typical ugly easterns but this one today I have to say is the coolest one I've ever caught. Really cool color. this year the mange has been horrible. This is the 24th coyote I've caught since mid December and 10 of them have had mange. I have been getting trail cam pics of a really dark, almost black coyote that I'm after and hope to add him to the collection soon.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:06 PM

very nice
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:10 PM

I dig the darker V across the shoulders!! Most red yotes around here are just red to reddish blond. We generally don't have much for color variation in SD except for an occasional red one. Black phases are few and very far between from what I know.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:12 PM

Nice , saw one like that a while ago ,might be him . lol
Congrats !

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:13 PM

i've thought the red ones to be the heavier of the colors for some reason here.
Posted By: KeithC

I would be surprised if there was not a lot of domestic dog DNA in that coyote. Neat catch.

Keith
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Nice wall hanger!

Chris
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I would be surprised if there was not a lot of domestic dog DNA in that coyote. Neat catch.

Keith

x2
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:24 PM

we had many many of those here 35-40 yrs ago when they were crossbreeding to get a foothold...got 5 bucks a piece

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:25 PM

i've caught 2 about as white as they get off the same remote pipeline.an older fella that retired here swears they came from his male that ran away the first week he was here.came from Alaska and was very adiment about that.course we never talked without a shot or 2 of crown royal.

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Art S
Nice , saw one like that a while ago ,might be him . lol
Congrats !

Very well could be Art. Got him about a mile or so from your place at deeters farm. 6th one I've taken out of there in the last month.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:34 PM

Nice ,had one break a restraint the other day , We got some big ones around here .
At least the weather is cooperating . lol
Posted By: MrsFord

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:37 PM

I’ve never even seen a pic of one that red. And the “strap” is even cooler. Nice job! Good luck on the black one.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 07:45 PM

Way to go.Congrats
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 08:00 PM

Way cool! Congrats!!!
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 08:06 PM

Cool color yote, the dark hackel across his shoulders is very unique.
I caught a red/blond one with 2 ivory color hackles 4 years ago.
Congrats, are you getting it tanned for the wall, or a hat?
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 08:06 PM

One that ran through the yard last fall at 2:00 PM looked very much like that. It didn't seem overly concerned but wasn't hanging around either. A healthy looking dog colored just like that. I'm in Mercer county.

Nice catch..!
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 08:19 PM

Not to steal a thread, but I had five red ones last year and none this year. Trapped in the big woods far from any dogs. Here are a few of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 09:01 PM

I've caught 2 red ones in the last 2 years. Caught one back in NY in the 70's.
Here's a couple pics of the one this year. Going to a friend who does home tanning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I accidently deleted the picture off my computer of when I caught him. But these show color pretty well.

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
I've caught 2 red ones in the last 2 years. Caught one back in NY in the 70's.
Here's a couple pics of the one this year. Going to a friend who does home tanning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I accidently deleted the picture off my computer of when I caught him. But these show color pretty well.

Those are really cool looking coyotes right there.

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
Cool color yote, the dark hackel across his shoulders is very unique.
I caught a red/blond one with 2 ivory color hackles 4 years ago.
Congrats, are you getting it tanned for the wall, or a hat?

I've got so many tanned or mounted now I may give in to my taxidermist friend that really would like to have it to mount for himself.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 09:14 PM

cOOL COLORS ON ALL OF THEM
Posted By: CravingtheWild

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 10:47 PM

Very nice coyote. Those are some good numbers Pa Trapper. What type of set do you catch the most coyotes in?
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 11:00 PM

This is the blondest I have ever caught

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 11:24 PM

Great catch PA Trapper, really cool looking coyote.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 11:25 PM

ebsurveyor, are those from Maine or here in PA?

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by varmintshooter
This is the blondest I have ever caught

[Linked Image]

That is a pretty one there. Nice catch

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/18/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by CravingtheWild
Very nice coyote. Those are some good numbers Pa Trapper. What type of set do you catch the most coyotes in?

The good old dirt hole. I make the hole 2" wide and12" deep. Of the 24 I've caught this year 7 were in cable restraints. I really like the cables when the weather turns south.easier to keep operational.the constant freeze thaw again this year has been tough keeping everything working and the set I caught him in today was a dirt hole out in the middle of a clover field close to a pair of ground hog holes. Last week after the snow melted(again) I went and checked the ground hog holes and there were fox and coyote droppings so I grabbed a K-9 extreme jr and my gear and punched in another set there and just kept my distance when I checked it.I was going to pull the set today and move my whole line but when I pulled in this morning it was a great surprise to see him bouncing there. Love seeing a catch circle with fresh snow all around. I still pulled it today because of the weather, instead of remaking in the snow,sleet, freezing rain,rain. I'll get it punched back in tomorrow.lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 12:03 AM

Really Nice looking yotes ^^^

That last one has a husky colored face but pale
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 12:41 AM

My first coyote this year, hit by a car, farmer called me, he thought it was a fox, it was about as red as yours
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 12:46 AM

Nice
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 01:13 AM

I like that color. Congrats! This is one of my cooler colored ones. White as I've ever caught. [Linked Image]
Love the random colors we have here not worth anything but makes it interesting never know what color your going to get. Got alot of red ones this year.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 01:15 AM

Very nice!!
Posted By: sasquatchtrapper

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 02:18 AM

I caught one this year that I seriously thought was a fox untill he finally got up when I approached him. I also noticed that he had really fine, fluffy hair compared to most coyotes. ( no, it wasnt a dog..lol, but I'll bet it was mixed really heavy) I also caught one many years ago that was as white as snow all except a black tip on its tail and black tips on its ears.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 02:27 AM

This is about as "reddish" as I've ever caught...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 02:34 AM

Gotta be.a yote/red fox hybrid grin

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 03:34 PM

At first glance when I pulled in I thought it was a red fox then realized it was another coyote.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 03:39 PM

Cool looking coyote. Thanks for posting
Posted By: Jwede

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 03:45 PM

I have caught 2 red yotes this is one. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CravingtheWild

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 03:51 PM

Do you do anything special (dye,paint) to your cables to camo them and what type of support wire do you use?
I can’t seem to catch a coyote in a cable. I’ve been using galvanized wire for support so I wonder how much that may stand out and those big ole relaxing locks are tricky to hide too. I was recently thinking about trying the 16 gauge wire I use for water trapping to support the cable since it’s so much smaller.

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by CravingtheWild
Do you do anything special (dye,paint) to your cables to camo them and what type of support wire do you use?
I can’t seem to catch a coyote in a cable. I’ve been using galvanized wire for support so I wonder how much that may stand out and those big ole relaxing locks are tricky to hide too. I was recently thinking about trying the 16 gauge wire I use for water trapping to support the cable since it’s so much smaller.

.16 gauge is too thin. 9 or 11 gauge works best for support wires. Pm me with your location if you're close I would be glad to help you in anyway I can.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 08:30 PM

Last year I was seeing a yote I thought was a dog. Light colored and had one black ear. I was not able to shoot it or trap it.

In the past month or so I have had 4-5 people ask me about the crazy colored yote running around. I thought it was the same on from last year. Nope. There is now another that looks a whole lot like an aussie shepard. I am sure it came from the one last year.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 09:15 PM

Over the years I have seen a lot of pictures posted of coyotes here on Trapperman. Seems like many …… a lot... of eastern coyote pictures make me think I'm looking at a domestic dog. Many have to have DNA of dogs in their blood. But that does make for some interesting coloring and head shape of the critter caught.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 09:43 PM

One I caught last season. [Linked Image]
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/19/20 09:54 PM

Here’s a couple of odd ones I’ve caught

Attached picture 63E49752-F5A5-4681-98CE-9C1AF7B23337.jpeg
Attached picture 66AA14BD-019E-44C7-B472-EA6862177719.jpeg

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/20/20 12:19 AM

Some really cool looking coyotes there.
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/21/20 12:55 AM

Last year was my first season trapping. This was the second coyote I ever caught. I had her on camera quite a bit, and she dug up several of my traps before I got her.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/21/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
Here’s a couple of odd ones I’ve caught

That white one is awesome! Did you catch it in TN?
Posted By: MrsFord

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/21/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoeRJr
Last year was my first season trapping. This was the second coyote I ever caught. I had her on camera quite a bit, and she dug up several of my traps before I got her.

[Linked Image]

That’s awesome, she’s beautiful!
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/21/20 07:17 PM

I caught these two blacks ones off the same property a few years ago but it's the only off colored ones I've ever caught or saw around here. Didn't trap that area last year but the landowner called this week wanting me to come back and trap it and said they another dark one on their trail cams. Never saw any red colored ones around here[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Crazy colored coyote today - 01/21/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
I caught these two blacks ones off the same property a few years ago but it's the only off colored ones I've ever caught or saw around here. Didn't trap that area last year but the landowner called this week wanting me to come back and trap it and said they another dark one on their trail cams. Never saw any red colored ones around here[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm after one that looks exactly like the one in your second pic. Would really like to catch him this year.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums