Home

Pan cover

Posted By: trapper314

Pan cover - 01/18/20 10:06 PM

What do you guys use for pan covers? I heard of people using single ply scentless toilet paper but im not sure what to use.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 10:09 PM

Nylon screen here I make my own to fit MJs and #3 long springs so I only need to make 1 size cover.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 10:15 PM

TP
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 10:42 PM

coffee filters
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:01 PM

Polyfill under pan. Tried many different things and when bedding in dirt.its always polyfill. If making a pipe dream then I use aluminum screen cover.
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:07 PM

Coffee filters
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:18 PM

Coffee filters when it's dry, nylon screen for wet/ or snow
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:24 PM

Poly fill and use dried sphagnum moss for fill then some dirt lightly sifted over.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:25 PM

Polyfil
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Pan cover - 01/18/20 11:56 PM

Landscaping fabric and occasionally peat moss.
Posted By: coop

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 12:35 AM

Polyfill for small coils.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 12:41 AM

Galvanized steel screen
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 12:45 AM

screen
Posted By: don403

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 12:47 AM

dont use trapper cap.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 02:04 AM

We have tried nylon screens, galvanized screen,paper sacks,plastic grocery bags..(all cut to fit of course)..and have had trouble with them being pulled off...even when covered with dirt..

Maybe birds?

Anyway a few days ago I was talking to a big fur buyer in Idaho and asked him how his success was with pan covers cause ours sucks..
He told me he had tried everything out there and had issues with each thing he tried.

He told me he now takes a roll of wax paper..cuts thw whole roll in half so its 4 inches wide..with a hacksaw..then he puts one of the now 4 inch rolls into a jar with about 1/4 in of yote pee in the jar..

When he needs a pan cover he just opens the jar and cuts the paper to fit as hes setting the tap..it won't soak up the pee because the paper is covered in wax.

Have any of y'all tried wax paper before?
Posted By: decoy

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 03:13 AM

I read what you said Cathryn but I would have a hard time trying to make sense out'a put'n it in a jar with P.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 03:15 AM

Wax paper here
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 03:18 AM

Hamburger wax paper patty sheets are precut in the box fits Tupperware sandwich tub like a dream.
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 03:47 AM

More often than not, I use wax paper. Have used coffee filters before too. I'm going to try the landscaping material and actually just finished cutting an entire roll to fit my 550's. Should have enough to last awhile!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
We have tried nylon screens, galvanized screen,paper sacks,plastic grocery bags..(all cut to fit of course)..and have had trouble with them being pulled off...even when covered with dirt..

Maybe birds?

Anyway a few days ago I was talking to a big fur buyer in Idaho and asked him how his success was with pan covers cause ours sucks..
He told me he had tried everything out there and had issues with each thing he tried.

He told me he now takes a roll of wax paper..cuts thw whole roll in half so its 4 inches wide..with a hacksaw..then he puts one of the now 4 inch rolls into a jar with about 1/4 in of yote pee in the jar..

When he needs a pan cover he just opens the jar and cuts the paper to fit as hes setting the tap..it won't soak up the pee because the paper is covered in wax.

Have any of y'all tried wax paper before?

40 years ago, it sucks compared to steel screen
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 03:01 PM

Steel screen sucked for us.. But we do know now we need to crank our t3n1sion up..but can't get it to work on a number 2 at all

Do any of y'all have any trouble with covers being dug off? Its not the traps.because the. Same.traps just caught a crap.load.of yotes..without pan covers.

And the covers arent contaminated
Posted By: gcs

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 04:45 PM

What little dirt trapping I do I use a cut roll of wax paper, tear off a piece, crinkle it up, smooth it out and set, it's worked for me but like I said, not a lot of dirt trapping here.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 05:27 PM

I’ve gone to peat under the trap with waxed dirt over a landscape fabric pan cover.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 06:29 PM

Guess I'll be the odd man out, I use straight dry peat and no pan cover. Just one thing less for me to forget.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 07:09 PM

Blee I’ve just not taken that last step yet, been using pan covers of some kind since I was a kid . I know a very good coyote trapper in this neck of the woods that uses peat only with great success. I will probably get there eventually, lol .
Posted By: LDW

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 07:25 PM

Fiberglass pipe insulation under the pan. Waxed sand over the top.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 07:32 PM

If your screen is on tight they aren’t getting dug off, they’re catching whatever is there. Everyone does it different it seems, but I cut mine to fit snug against and slightly under the jaws but over the pan. It almost acts as a pan extension. They step or dig, then they are caught.
For my dirt holes I’ll use peat or poly. I’ve even used peat when I’ve run out of screen. I’ll fill it all around the trap and under the pan and use grass clippings to cover the set.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 09:39 PM

Peat moss here. Peat acts as a great cover in many conditions. No need to make it harder on yourself.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 10:14 PM

Knee highs, cut in two and split. Soft and supple, lies flat with little dirt on top, dirt colored and unless it pours buckets dirt does not wash off like a lot of other things. Also one can get them if in need almost everywhere.
Ted
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 10:32 PM

I too use wax paper but I keep the roll (cut 4 in long) in my pocket and tear off a chunk usually just wad it up and place a wad under the pan end if you put it in urine you'll have to mist the entire set to avoid digging for the cover
Posted By: super cub

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 11:21 PM

Plastic sandwich bags
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 11:42 PM

I've used wax paper and polyfill in the past and they worked fine. Lately I've been using the little round cupcake papers and they work well too.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pan cover - 01/19/20 11:57 PM

Just some insight here. TP is the most versatile cover you can have in the bag. The goal is simply to keep dirt from getting under the pan. A square will fit a 1.5 or you can pull 3 off and wad it up and push it under the pan on a #3 to do the same thing. Pull a square, ball it up, stick in the hole entrance, squirt some lure on it and shove it to the bottom. They’ll smell it and when they look in the hole they’ll see it. I don’t need to explain other critical situations that might arise that having a roll with you isn’t a bad thing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums