Home

Trap distances

Posted By: trapper314

Trap distances - 01/20/20 01:12 AM

How far apart do you set your traps? I have a decent sized field I trap and have around 4 sets all further then 50 yrds apart, they're all dirthole sets and all are baited, is that too close to use bait in every set?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 01:34 AM

I'll assume your targeting fox given your location and description.

If a location is good enough for one set, it's good enough for two. I like my sets close together, sometimes so close the catch circles make a figure eight.

Really good locations get three and sometimes four sets within ten or fifteen feet of each other.

And I never use bait. Just quality fox lure and urine.

Find out where the fox are traveling and put a few sets close together.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 01:57 AM

most folks set on a location they have found sign

and since we often get non-targets like coon or opossum, etc, we set AT LEAST 2 sets (traps) per location, anywhere from 6-20 ft apart, often, depending on local backings, etc.

I was taught to make at least 2 sets upwind on a travel lane and 1 set downwind, in case the wind changes.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 02:15 AM

[Linked Image]
This is how close I set when there is a lot of sign. That’s the 9th and 10th coyote I’ve took there in the past 2 weeks . If you look behind them you can see old catch circles that was so muddy I couldn’t get a new set in . There is 4 traps within 20 feet there.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 02:16 AM

One trap every .3447 miles. Haha so many factors play into this. How many animals are in the area, how much the frequent the area, how many traps the trapper has, how much time the trapper has, how many other locations the trapper has access to, the amount of sign as the other areas, and the list goes on and on and on.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tommie
[Linked Image]
This is how close I set when there is a lot of sign. That’s the 9th and 10th coyote I’ve took there in the past 2 weeks . If you look behind them you can see old catch circles that was so muddy I couldn’t get a new set in . There is 4 traps within 20 feet there.

That's what I'm talking about! Nice figure eight.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Trap distances - 01/20/20 03:33 AM

Someone post that pic of 11 coyotes all in a row right next to each other Bob W had a few years back.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums