Home

Spent shotgun shells

Posted By: Cragar

Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 03:08 PM

Another thread gave me this idea.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet/ issuing a challenge. I would love to see this go viral and become standard practice for sportsmen/outdoor enthusiasts.
When you are out in the field , you will see spent shotgun shells. We have all seen them. It gives sportsmen a bad name. They will not degrade quickly at all and stay there for years and years.

Pick them up. Pack them out. This includes wads. Sportsmen have made strides cleaning up trash , most notably fishing line.

This makes us all look better. Leave no sign.

Anybody want to join me in this idea ?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 03:20 PM

I pick up others hulls and wads when I see them.

I also always try and pick my own up , but I get sometimes you just don't see them.

Posted By: k snow

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 03:38 PM

I pick up all the trash I see when I am out on public land, except for furniture, hard to carry that out.

It drives me nuts when people don't clean up after themselves.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 03:49 PM

I pick up shotgun shells when I can while hunting and what I find in the woods.Have never seen wads ever while hunting
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 04:38 PM

My truck and car always has junk in it. There are a lot of pigs driving and walking our streets. The bottle return policy help Michigan.
Adopt a road also helped. Thanks to all the people that help clean up our road ways.

* You are never to old to Vote.*
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 04:40 PM

Nope, I quit using straws, you have to draw the line somewhere. laugh
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 04:41 PM

Litter my top pet peeve. I keep trash bags in my truck and all litter comes home with me. I have been known to walk forest roads making stacks of litter and then picking it up as I leave. I second this challenge.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
Litter my top pet peeve. I keep trash bags in my truck and all litter comes home with me. I have been known to walk forest roads making stacks of litter and then picking it up as I leave. I second this challenge.

I am with you Sundance I have picked up others peoples garbage many times . We have an adopt a highway litter clean up program where organizations schedule several pick ups through out the year for their highway .. It is a very good program .But it is a shame that people are so ignorant that they just toss their junk out the window for others to clean . Imagine how much better the world would be if people spent their spare time helping other people instead on picking up there garbage .
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 05:34 PM

It would also help if the local dumps wouldn't charge people extra for such things as appliances, furniture,tires,etc.......Its the main reason why you find so much of it here in the woods.Its frustrating for sure finding trash in our great outdoors.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 06:40 PM

I already do
Posted By: Posco

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 06:51 PM

There's a road not far from me I drive almost every morning and every morning I find two new Bud Light cans or bottles along the roadside. Always two, never more, never less. I think I know who is doing it but don't have any proof.
I hate littering.

On the spent hulls, I'll be the odd man out...they don't bother me. I see them occasionally in my grouse covers and I view them as a testament to a flush. I've found about every gauge at one time or another. I carry mine out.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 10:55 PM

I typically just grab my own and throw in my game bag while bird hunting. I shoot double guns so it isn’t a huge deal since I’m extracting or catching the hulls anyway. I guess I don’t pick up a scattered hull or 2 around. The stuff that drives me bonkers is the dove hunting plots. Empties located in piles or in a small area and they are too big of a slob to pick them up. I’ve packed my 5gal bucket out completely full without firing a shot before.....pretty bad look.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 11:17 PM

I agree, I have done that and even more. I have started cleaning up after nature. Nature is so messy.

I picked up a bag of Fox and Coyote turds last week. Animals just think the can go wherever they want, Something needs to be done.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/20/20 11:55 PM

I pick mine up most times. Sometimes I don’t. But I’m hunting private mostly. I do make a point to on public ground. However, being honest, I don’t mind to see one or two now again. I like to see the hunt is alive and well. I imagine how the hunt went and wish I was the one to fire them.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/21/20 08:16 PM

I always leave a place cleaner than I find it, and recycle as much as possible.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/21/20 08:29 PM

Semi auto in the waterways of Iowa in heavy wind do make them hard to find
Still try because they were loaded in the 70's by my dad
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/21/20 09:18 PM

There's a lake I fish on U.S. Forest Service property. There's a dumpster, but lots of jerks just throw their trash on the ground.
I pick it up and put it into the dumpster. Told the local District Ranger that I'd buy three trail cams, mount them and email him any pics of license plate numbers, photos of people, etc. if they would prosecute the bums.
He declined the offer... Go figure.
Posted By: sotired

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/21/20 10:14 PM

We always pick up our shells after dove hunting. Pick up any old ones also. Pheasant hunting is a little different. Usually to busy trying to find the bird to look for the spent shells. I don't mind running into one while I am hunting either lets you now something happened there.
Posted By: Born

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 12:07 AM

I've been picking up my hulls for years.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 12:24 AM

I pickup every one I see and have for years, and like you I wish other guys did. When I pop the O/U open after a shot they go straight in my right hand vest pocket. When the boys were little and just walking along. I gave them a nickel for everyone they picked up.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Another thread gave me this idea.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet/ issuing a challenge. I would love to see this go viral and become standard practice for sportsmen/outdoor enthusiasts.
When you are out in the field , you will see spent shotgun shells. We have all seen them. It gives sportsmen a bad name. They will not degrade quickly at all and stay there for years and years.

Pick them up. Pack them out. This includes wads. Sportsmen have made strides cleaning up trash , most notably fishing line.

This makes us all look better. Leave no sign.

Anybody want to join me in this idea ?

Great! Hunters, trappers, and fishermen above all should do all they can top keep trash out of the forests, fields, and streams. Around here some fishermen are the worst; bait containers, fishing line, beer cans litter the streams from the first day of trout season until high water flushes it down stream and up on to the banks to lie there from the next hundred years or so.

I pick up my shells when hunting and try to never leave anything behind. It takes very little effort to clean up after ourselves. Reduce, reuse, recycle is an easy way to handle our trash.
Posted By: TRADER TUT

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 02:13 PM

Man is His own worst Enemy !
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 02:32 PM

We pick them up also
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Spent shotgun shells - 01/22/20 04:22 PM

One of the things we talk about in our firearms training classes are ethics. An area we stress is leaving behind trash. We tell the kids not only should they not leave any trash behind, but they should leave with more than they came with. Leaving any trash gives all sports enthusiasts a bad name.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums