Home

Wood Splitting Wedge

Posted By: snowy

Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 03:29 PM

I was wondering if there is a preference for the type of wedge for splitting logs. Will a rubber/plastic type hold up over steel? I also see there is a funnel shaped with threads that is on the market. What would be the best type to get that does the job?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 03:36 PM

A gas powered one works best for me.

But if you are splitting full logs, I use steel ones, and keep them in good shape. Mushroomed heads lead to projectile chips.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 04:19 PM

The plastic/nylon are for felling not splitting.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf

This. Council tool has good American made steel wedges
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 04:33 PM

i don't split. Works best for me.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf

and for very good reason when you hit them with a chain saw they cut like wood and don't ruin your chain , clearly I have done that once or twice

it very much depends what your splitting more than 1 or 2 wedges if your doing big wood , keep working across

a collection of a few basic steel wedges a maul and a sledge

but honest if it is that difficult to split any more I Noodle it , this is cutting with the grain using the chain saw it makes long curly noodle like chips and doesn't load the saw very much keep the angle of the saw about

here is a video his technique isn't the greatest tip down a few degrees makes the chip drop better without clogging the clutch housing it also brakes the chip a little shorter , you get a feel for it after a while if you aren't pulling goos chip adjust till you are. the video lets you see when he is and isn't pulling good chip , the weight of the saw should be just about enough you don't need to muscle a chain saw.

Posted By: 080808

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:02 PM

What upstate said. I once tried splitting with a plastic wedge. Not good!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:10 PM

It sounds like you are splitting by hand not a hydraulic splitter. When I was younger, I used to cut the logs into short lengths then used a Monster Maul to split them. One swat usually was all it took. I still have mine. Haven't used them in years since I got a hydraulic splitter.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:16 PM

Yup by hand.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:27 PM

Get a good Fiskars axe or maul and no need to worry about wedges, at least in softwoods

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 05:33 PM

To split wood like the guy in the video, your saw needs to be very sharp to cut with the grain like that. I've done that in the past on logs with a large diameter like he's doing. If the guy in the video had a Monster Maul, his splitting would be easier.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 06:42 PM

Diomond wedge

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
To split wood like the guy in the video, your saw needs to be very sharp to cut with the grain like that. I've done that in the past on logs with a large diameter like he's doing. If the guy in the video had a Monster Maul, his splitting would be easier.

the chain need be no sharper than when cutting cross grain , and if you own a file why would you cut with a dull chain ,that would be like skinning with a dull knife
you often don't need to cut all the way either 3/4 and a tap with the maul and they typically split

if I am doing a bigger rounds cut down about 3/4 roll 90*cut about 3/4 hit it twice with the maul and have 4 rounds I can lift and toss in the truck

if you have more than a cord a year to do , then hydraulic splitter

with curly maple hydraulic is definitely the way to go if you have knot free then most anything will do often just a maul
Posted By: DadN3Boyz

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 07:21 PM

When splitting by hand, Monster Maul. Used that for all of my splitting, until I cleared our property generating 38 cords worth of logs. I started splitting with the old Monster. My dad shook his head and left. Came back with a brand new hydraulic log splitter. Sure saved alot of time. Very rare when the monster maul can't split and I need to pull out the regular maul and wedges. Although I've hear good reports on the Fiskars too, just never used one.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Trapper7

the chain need be no sharper than when cutting cross grain , and if you own a file why would you cut with a dull chain ,that would be like skinning with a dull knife
you often don't need to cut all the way either 3/4 and a tap with the maul and they typically split

if I am doing a bigger rounds cut down about 3/4 roll 90*cut about 3/4 hit it twice with the maul and have 4 rounds I can lift and toss in the truck

if you have more than a cord a year to do , then hydraulic splitter

with curly maple hydraulic is definitely the way to go if you have knot free then most anything will do often just a maul

I had some large elm that I cut with the grain several years ago and some white oak. There was a big difference in cutting with the grain versus across the grain when I was blocking the logs. I use a bench sharpener. A semi-dull chain will cut across the grain way better than with it. At least, that's been my experience.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 09:24 PM

We have a lot of dead elm and ash here some of that stuff will eat a wedge, a gas splitter is a must and even with that I have to hold the handle to keep the valve from kicking out on the tough stuff.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 09:41 PM

You can bury a wedge in some elm 'til it all but disappears without noticing any splitting.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/20/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Yup by hand.

Troybuilt makes these things called "log splitters". Put gas in, pull the string, have the kids put the log on it, push the lever and presto... Split wood. (the kids double as stackers too). smile

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 12:05 AM

Some good advise and I appreciate it and the video, thanks. I agree with a slitter/gas operated but I'm in an area you couldn't get one up there. I was there today and cut and split with an axe but was wondering about a wedge also. I had wood down and cut and wanted to split when I got it sledded to the cabin. I might but a steel wedge and see how it works.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
We have a lot of dead elm and ash here some of that stuff will eat a wedge,

Ash eat a wedge?? Ash is the wood that is the most easy to split. Heck, look at it cross-eyed and it will split in two.

I think the hardest wood to bust, for me, is Honey Locust. I have buried wedges in some oaks but honey locust was the worst, for eating a wedge.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 12:19 AM

If you have to split by hand, some of the tougher to split wood like white oak and hickory are much easier if you take small splits from the edges first to kind of square it up into a block. Then use the maul or wedge to break it into larger chunks. The outer growth rings seem to act as a band that tries to hold the piece together.

I love splitting straight grained red oak ash and cherry, especially when it can be done with just an ax.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
You can bury a wedge in some elm 'til it all but disappears without noticing any splitting.

Isnt thay the truth
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 01:09 AM

Elm is a bugger to split and has a twist in the grain that can turn many an axa handle into kindling. I try to avoid using elm for firewood. The axe head follows the grain and the handle does not and snaps clean half in two at the head.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 02:09 AM

I got a few mushroomed wedges I have been meaning to take and get the mushroomed edges torched off. Maybe get him to weld a bead or two around the wedge? Down here we go to a mall (maul) to shop. To split wood we use a go-devil. I have. 6 and 8 pounder. The 8 gets the tough stuff and the 6 the easy. Knots get the wedge.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 09:26 AM

If you are using a splitting wedge, be sure to wear safety glasses. A friend was using one once while his son was helping him. When he struck the wedge with the sledge hammer a shard from the wedge flew off and imbedded in his sons eye, he needed surgery to have it removed.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 10:01 AM

I hand split until last year. Here is a trick that I learned a few years back. I wish I would have known about it starting out.

Place the log in a spot that you can move around and swing your splitting maul 360 degrees. Before you start swinging, take a strap and place around the log. It needs to be snug, but not racheted. Start splitting with maul and rotate yourself around the log until you have it split to your preference. The strap prevents blow outs and tip-overs. If you never tried it, you got too!

I use this method on oak, ash, etc.. wood that I can split with a swing or two with the maul. I imagine you could use a wedge as well.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 10:57 AM

I split wood by hand with a maul and wedges for 50 years, 6 to 8 cord per year. This fall I got a splitter, best thing I ever did. Kid puts the pieces on the splitter and I run the handle.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 11:14 AM

Easier to just put the piece in a tire,hold it up and no strap to mess with!

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 11:21 AM

For You lottery winners!
https://vikingenes.com/products/for...rce=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 01:05 PM

I split two to four cords a year by hand. I'm 61. It keeps me from getting even fatter and lazier. Suck it up Nancy girls. grin

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I split two to four cords a year by hand. I'm 61. It keeps me from getting even fatter and lazier. Suck it up Nancy girls. grin

Haha grin

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by trapNH
I split wood by hand with a maul and wedges for 50 years, 6 to 8 cord per year. This fall I got a splitter, best thing I ever did. Kid puts the pieces on the splitter and I run the handle.

just make sure their fingers are out of the way It is my opinion that the only person with a finger near it while the ram is moving is the person who's other hand is operating the lever on the spool.

I found if I put the splitter next to the tail gate and went a kid up in the truck they could keep rolling the rounds to me and I could split them with no lifting just roll off the tail gate on to the log catcher. if you can set up near the pile and toss into the wheel barrow as you take splits off the splitter then no one needs bed over and some one can stack right away. 2 wheel barrows and you toss into the one they are not taking out of then you switch when they empty the first one and no one gets smashed fingers
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 05:56 PM

Get a boiler cuts down on that splitting a lot with a 20+ inch opening it takes a good round of wood.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 08:03 PM

Interesting. What I do on the larger rounds is let them dry for a week or 2, then chainsaw from the edge to the center thru the largest part with no checks. This gives the chunk room to split on the checks. For the medium size ones, 1-1/2 to 2 ft, I'll saw cut slots in a 4-6 pie wedge shape about 8" deep and they will split like a dream.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/21/20 08:14 PM

if it is big I cut rounds then noodle them into sizes that I can lift

my 2166 72cc saw with 24 inch bar is easier to lift up and set down and let the weight of the saw do the work than swinging a maul I also can't alwasy leave the rounds were they fell for a few weeks

did few maple last year that I had to cut from both sides with a 28 inch bar to drop them.

I could then lift the 4 quarters of a round one at a time probably 80-100 pounds each

they had a very curly twisted grain saved one log for milling

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 12:06 AM

What I did was made a few oak wedges. I made a cut on the butt end and drove an axe in as far as I could go then used the oak wedges. I worked and they did a great job. I had ash, birch, pine, cedar and some cotton wood and seeded to do the job what I needed done.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Interesting. What I do on the larger rounds is let them dry for a week or 2, then chainsaw from the edge to the center thru the largest part with no checks. This gives the chunk room to split on the checks. For the medium size ones, 1-1/2 to 2 ft, I'll saw cut slots in a 4-6 pie wedge shape about 8" deep and they will split like a dream.

I basically did what you did then used the oak wedges. Worked very well.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 12:38 AM

If you ever have to cut any dogwood, great wedges can be made from it.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 12:39 PM

What gryhkl said, work from the outside. Big rounds like in the video are no problem with a standard maul if you know how to work the piece down. Lop a piece off the outside edge. It should only take one stroke with most wood and will leave a protrusion that you can just lop off with another stroke. Repeat until the round is all split wood.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 01:27 PM

I burn wood daily for close to 6 months a year. I split everything by hand. I have a powered log splitter, but I get more satisfaction out of doing it the hard way. We have a lot of elm and hackberry which are notoriously hard to split. I went to a Halder maul and wedge, and have zero issues with anything I’ve faced. This includes knotty Y’s from tough old red elm. Here’s the link to their products. https://www.halderusa.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Forestry-Tools/SIMPLEX-splitting-maul
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by trapNH

Bet when the kid loses a finger, he'll lose 3 or 4 of them. This is a common accident waiting to happen.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw99
I burn wood daily for close to 6 months a year. I split everything by hand. I have a powered log splitter, but I get more satisfaction out of doing it the hard way. We have a lot of elm and hackberry which are notoriously hard to split. I went to a Halder maul and wedge, and have zero issues with anything I’ve faced. This includes knotty Y’s from tough old red elm. Here’s the link to their products. https://www.halderusa.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Forestry-Tools/SIMPLEX-splitting-maul

That Halder combination looks like what I need. Axe and wedge is really all I need also and I also like the satisfaction and exercise doing the old fashion way.
Thanks
Posted By: billy

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 04:38 PM

burned wood all our life here and I will agree the monster maul will split it,as long as you can swing it.now when you go to a hydralic splitter its like cheating.

Re: Wood Splitting Wedge - 01/23/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by billy
burned wood all our life here and I will agree the monster maul will split it,as long as you can swing it.now when you go to a hydralic splitter its like cheating.

Monster Maul makes two varieties. The original is the larger, heavy model. They also make the Ladies model which is lighter. I have both. At first I used the heavier one. As I got older, I bought a hydraulic splitter. I still took the Monster Maul in the woods to split the larger blocks so I could handle them. When that maul seemed too heavy, I bought the Ladies model which still splits very well, just a lighter version.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums