Home

My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline

Posted By: RM trapper

My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 06:50 PM

I live in the far northeast corner of Tenn in the Appalachian mountains, and trap usually from 3,000ft-6,000ft elevation mainly targeting coyotes and bobcats. I decided to give the bobcats a break this season and concentrate on coyotes. I work everyday and have 3 young kids I have to get to school so I can only run 5-10 traps a night usually. I always wait til after the first when deer and bear season closes, so I'm really just getting started good. I caught 7 coyotes and two grey fox along with a few coon and possum so far. It's been a muddy mess but we are finally getting cold weather now. I'll update as I go along, I pulled and moved yesterday so hopefully I'll get on some more in the next day or two. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 06:52 PM

Had to check in the dark a couple morning [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hern

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:06 PM

Nice job. Keep the pics coming.
My best to you this season.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:08 PM

Nice looking Songdogs!!!
Posted By: 080808

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:12 PM

Keep it up. Great
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:17 PM

Nice catches.Congrats
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:19 PM

Great work!! Sounds like you’re on them for sure! Liking the pics too! Always great when I make weekend catches and can get some great pics.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:27 PM

Nicely done ... Get them all out of my neighborhood please . My neighbors chickens feel safer already lol

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 07:27 PM

Yea it's 13° degrees today and spitting the snow so hopefully they'll move tonight. I put a camera out at one spot and threw so scraps out to see if there were many yotes in the area and got some pics of two then I made a couple sets right in front of the camera to see if I could get the catch on camera we'll ended up catching both coyotes but wouldn't you know it my batteries went dead before [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jk

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 08:46 PM

Nice photos, I have to start carrying my camera with me, but I always loose things on the line. Good job keep at them.....jk
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 08:49 PM

Good lookin dogs! Congratulations!
Posted By: wheelers

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 08:49 PM

Nice job

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/20/20 09:27 PM

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll have plenty more pics to come. Scuba how are you liking Tennessee so far?
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 12:12 AM

I am always glad to see the younger generation getting into trapping It looks like even with limited time you are doing just fine as far as catching critters . Good luck as you keep learning how to keep the coyotes in check in your trapping areas
Posted By: hippie

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 12:55 AM

Nice job, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Dboone74

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 01:10 AM

Awesome man..you are hammer'n em!.reminds me of when my dad turned my first trap line over to me in my early teens..had to check in the dark before school.to this day I think it was one of the best things he ever taught me,not only the trapping but it taught me to move early and get things done.thanks for sharing!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 01:32 AM

Won’t the bobcats get caught in the coyote sets?
mt
Posted By: Bison88

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 01:37 AM

Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 02:10 AM

Yea martentrapper ill still pickup a few but im not setting specifically for bobcats. Here if you want to catch alot of bobcats you can by trapping the rocky ridges and hollers. I just caught alot out of the area I trap the past few years so I figured I'd lay off them a bit this year. I'm sure I'll end up with a few anyway
Posted By: Scout1

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 02:13 AM

You're helping your deer population as well!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 02:15 AM

Good deal brother, keep hammering them.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Won’t the bobcats get caught in the coyote sets?
mt

Some times, I got almost half my wy cats in coyote sets

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 05:16 PM

No coyotes today but did pickup a rare red fox. Here's a few pics of the area [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/21/20 06:28 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It wasin the 60s last week and 12° this morning bit the only fresh tracks I saw were the fox I caught, maybe the coyotes will move tonight

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/22/20 02:12 PM

Had a couple come within feet of two sets and stop and circle them but didn't commit, maybe tonight [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/22/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
I am always glad to see the younger generation getting into trapping It looks like even with limited time you are doing just fine as far as catching critters . Good luck as you keep learning how to keep the coyotes in check in your trapping areas

X2

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/22/20 02:37 PM

Appreciate that west side and muskrat
Posted By: trapper les

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/22/20 04:23 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/23/20 03:59 PM

Caught a small female this morning. First coyote I've caught that was rubbed. Should've had a double. I caught her on a dirthole set in a logging road and 20 ft away I had a compass set, we'll they worked the set good and actually uncovered half my trap but didn't step in the right spot [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/23/20 04:20 PM

Nice work RM. Takes a lot of dedication to keep a line going with the family and work responsibilities too. Appreciate the pics.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/23/20 04:59 PM

Yea jumperzee, luckily I own a small business so I don't have to be there at an exact time but getting the kids to school then checking them before work it's definitely a rush. One day I'll be able to run a actual line that covers more than a couple mile. Lol
Posted By: 3togo

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 01:09 AM

Thanks for posting RM. You had some great post last year too!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 02:48 AM

Enjoying the thread RM. Haven't set a predator set at all and don't figure I will. Good to visit your line even from a far.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 02:58 AM

Thanks guys. I caught the female about 400 yds behind my house last night and I could tell there was at least two, and this evening I was out feeding the dogs and heard a coyote raising cane right where my sets are at. I'm not sure if he's caught or trying to locate his girlfriend. I thought about riding the 4 wheeler up to check them but figured I'd just wait til morning. We got rain and high winds moving in now
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 04:11 AM

Nice
Posted By: Boco

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 06:02 AM

Nice pics,your doing great for a limited trapline.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Yea jumperzee, luckily I own a small business so I don't have to be there at an exact time but getting the kids to school then checking them before work it's definitely a rush. One day I'll be able to run a actual line that covers more than a couple mile. Lol

I have been trapping for more than 50 years .It has always been trying to figure out how to trap and make it fit with the rest of my life . In many ways that is why I enjoyed it so much . I knew my success at catching what I got was earned through hard work and thought . Love your pictures Keep getting after the coyotes .

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/24/20 03:35 PM

Well the bad weather set in around midnight and we had 40+ mph winds and rain , and unfortunately the coyote I heard yelping didn't get caught but he was within inches in 3 different sets. Maybe he'll come back tonight. I had to check in the dark so pic isn't good but you can see the tracks everywhere except on my pan. Lol. Same dirthole the female was in yesterday [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/25/20 07:45 PM

Had a pretty good check today with the limited traps I have out and the weather. Caught my 9th coyote and 2nd red fox. I ended up letting the fox go since it was a female and we don't have many left [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/25/20 07:54 PM

Lookin pretty muddy.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/25/20 08:00 PM

Yea 3togo it's a dang mess. I actually caught this one on a remake from the last one and it was so muddy I about didn't remake it but I'm glad I did

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/26/20 03:50 AM

Also caught an old boar coon this morning, only the 4th one so far [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/26/20 04:15 AM

Great thread...Love the photo's

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/26/20 04:22 AM

Hopefully I'll have more to share 330. I pulled several today because of the mud and gonna reset some before church but maybe the 5 I have set tonight will produce something

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/26/20 04:40 AM

Hopefully I'll have more to share 330. I pulled several today because of the mud and gonna reset some before church but maybe the 5 I have set tonight will produce something

Hope so for you!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/27/20 08:58 PM

Caught a big male this morning and he wasn't none to happy about it, I've caught several coyotes in the past 5 years but this was the meanest acting one I've dealt with [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/27/20 09:54 PM

Also caught a big boar coon and a possum that managed to get two feet in my mb550. I only had 5 traps out last night so 3 critters wasn't bad

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/27/20 09:55 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/27/20 11:09 PM

Yes it looks like a mess, great pictures keep them coming. RM are most of your sets in wooded areas, logging trails, wooded trails?

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/27/20 11:47 PM

Yea backroadarcher I set alot of mine in old logging roads and on the edge of the timber. We don't have alot open areas except for Christmas tree farms and some pasture fields, but I set the fields when available. We just have alot more timber than fields. When I set the timber areas I usually put my sets right off the game trails. But the old logging roads probably produce better for me than anything. The coyote this morning was in a Christmas tree farm where two shrubbery roads met on top of a high knob. I put a dirthole in yesterday at the intersection and connected first night. I set a new area today that was all timber and jyst put my sets next to we'll used deer trails
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/28/20 12:06 AM

Very nice. Even Tennessee dogs are prettier than Pa dogs. Lol. Congrats on some nice ones.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/28/20 01:17 AM

Thanks PA. We got some pretty dogs but we also got some butt ugly ones too. One thing I can say is I've never saw one with mange here

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/28/20 10:38 PM

Thanks RM, I have a lot of similar areas here plus a lot of crop land. I just figure why not make the best of both worlds. I haven't had a lot of success in the timber, some but not as much as I would like.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/29/20 12:01 AM

great job RM ,thanks for sharing

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/29/20 08:56 PM

I caught another nice male this morning. I set up a new piece of ground today so hopefully it'll produce [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/29/20 09:30 PM

GREAT job !!!!!!!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/29/20 09:42 PM

I always look for level ground here, easy to find.
What's the secret to catching them on a slope like that?
Good looking coyote, I don't see any rub marks.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/29/20 11:18 PM

3togo I usually try to set the old logging roads on the steep properties but this spot a friend of mine owns and there wasn't a level spot on it so I put a dirthole in a made it like a step down, so I dug it out enough to make it semi level and put my trap only a couple inches from the hole. I have caught several on slopes but I was putting my trap 7-8" back like a normal set and was ending up with back foot catches so I started putting my trap really close to the hole on these sets on the slopes and it seemed to help

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/31/20 12:09 AM

Got two new farms setup today and they both looked great and had plenty of sign so I should have some success in the next few days. They had some spectacular views too [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hippie

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/31/20 12:14 AM

Cool pics!

Whack' m and stack' m.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/31/20 12:16 AM

Got two new farms setup today and they both looked great and had plenty of sign so I should have some success in the next few days. They had some spectacular views too [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow that field is Beautiful

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/31/20 12:20 AM

That does look like some nice country, even if it was just for a walk.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 01/31/20 12:55 AM

Yea most people don't think of mountains like this wben you think of Tennessee, yea 330 that field is beautiful. We don't have many level fields around here

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/01/20 01:27 AM

Connected on a nice female this morning but had two other sets get robbed and missed the pan by less than an inch. Also caught two big boar coon. I was trying to figure out how to make a twelve with my hands so I can remember what number each coyote was but I look like I'm throwing some kinda gang signs. Lol [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/01/20 09:23 AM

Good job Rm,,I had a friend from grandfather mountain when I lived in Gray Tn. I use to fish clarks creek

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/01/20 07:55 PM

I live in between Gray TN and Grandfather Mtn west river, so you know the area I'm trapping

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/01/20 07:59 PM

Caught a nice young male last night but got humbled at a couple other sets. One dirthole was about two inch diameter and when they got done with it I could stick my head in it. Lol [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 02:50 AM

I also wanted to mention that I mainly run MB550s and love them, have a few of about every brand but the 550 is my favorite. My buddy recently bought a dozen of the duke 550s and everything is basically the same except the bigger square pan on the duke. He gave me a couple and I set them a couple days ago and connected with one and it preformed great just like the Mbs. Great deep catch with toes still touching the pan [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 03:33 AM

Looks like it is still pretty wet out there. Do you have much problem with freezing ground at all?

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 04:12 AM

Yea backroadarcher it may be 50 and raining today then 20 and snowing tomorrow then back to 50 the next so we have alot of freeze thaw conditions to deal with. I use peat moss and antifreeze or salt but still get froze in on occasion. Just made my first waxed dirt so gonna give it a try
Posted By: BaldHiller

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 11:55 AM

Great thread RM!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 12:42 PM

I live in between Gray TN and Grandfather Mtn west river, so you know the area I'm trapping

been 40 yrs since i been back but still have friends in gray and johnson city...i graduated from etsu...im sure I wouldnt know the place now.
We use to jump off the bridge on the upper end of boone lake(about 150 ft )and i heard they started to arrest ppl for it for trying to commit suicide yrs ago.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 03:42 PM

Super nice looking area RM. Looking at the claw marks, do you think the coyote did any digging from the back side of the hole?
I also have about a dozen MB550's that I use. Most of the rest are Victor/Monty dogless. Most all have the foot completely to the pan.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 03:51 PM

West river my wife also graduated from ETSU

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/02/20 03:54 PM

Yea 3togo he dug it out from the side and back, went to the same farm this morning and they'd dug 3 different sets out the same way so I turned two of them into trench sets and the other I dug up a couple big clumps of grass and made a new backing. I'll see which works better. They are pretty slick animals sometimes

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 08:24 PM

Well I caught one of the diggers that has been robbing me and man was she a pretty one, first red one I've ever caught [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 09:00 PM

Did you catch her in a step down?

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 09:05 PM

Yea Steve I originally had a normal dirthole but they dug it out big time so I turned it into a step down set and connected
Posted By: forestman3

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 09:25 PM

Neat looking dog right there.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 10:11 PM

I've gone to keeping a couple small rocks in the truck when I find a good spot with no backing. They don't seem to paw away a rock.
Also, I think the step down dirt hole is a better producer, at least for me.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/03/20 10:14 PM

RM,
You might want to find someone that wants that red one. I've caught one last year and this year and Groenwald doesn't want them. Maybe someone that wants a tanned hide. Mine didn't even have the long, back guard hairs.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/04/20 12:32 AM

I think im going yo just tan it and hang it next to the black one I caught a couple year ago

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/05/20 02:37 AM

Well had a great check today, yesterday I caught my first red one and I pulled in to the same farm this morning and had another red female. Then at my next spot I had a ancient old male. He looked like he was about to die of old age, he also had mange and was scarred all over his face. His teeth were about gone, only had one canine left and very few others. I think I done him a favor by putting him out of his misery. Then when driving to work I found a beautiful male that had just been hit by a car and I threw him the truck as well [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/05/20 09:11 PM

Man the teeth on that old one is something else! Reminds me of old bears.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/06/20 10:02 PM

Been raining here since Tuesday without stopping, I pulled most of my sets and planned to pull the rest this morning and remake everything Friday when it changes back to snow. To my surprise I pulled up on the first dirthole and had this wet female in it. Not sure if she was coming to drink water out of the hole which was full or what but either way I'll take her [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/07/20 07:07 PM

After getting almost 4" of rain since Wed morning I didn't expect to have anything today, was planning on remaking everything since the temps dropped and it changed to snow. But to my surprise had a nice female in one set and missed another one at a different location [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/08/20 04:57 PM

No coyotes today but several near misses [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/09/20 10:07 PM

Well i had a great check this morning, with only 10 sets out I connected with a nice male and a butt ugly female. The best thing was my both my boys were with me and my oldest had a friend over to spend the night and he got to go out with us too. He'd never been trapping and really seemed to enjoy it so maybe I planted a seed for a future trapper. Also had two misses, one dirthole had the trap fired with a few hairs stuck in it [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/09/20 10:09 PM

Oh and the reason the boys are holding up their fingers in the pic is this was my 20th coyote of 2020
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/09/20 10:25 PM

Awesome stuff right there RM! 20 coyotes is pretty good man congrats.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/09/20 10:28 PM

Good job. Thanks for sharing. Good lord that is one ugly coyote.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/09/20 10:32 PM

Yea stinky Pete that's the ugliest colored coyote I've ever saw. Lok

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/12/20 10:52 PM

We have been getting pounded with rain for the past week and it's made trapping tough but fortunately I've still been catching a few. This set had been getting a lot of coyotes coming by but not committing but this female finally got up the nerve to come in, and my MB 550 done it's job [Linked Image]
Posted By: trapper les

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 12:02 AM

Nice
Posted By: forestman3

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 12:11 AM

That`s some ugly weather your trapping in.Are you using waxed dirt?Is that a dead deer that you had covered up on that last picture?
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 01:26 AM

Good thread RM, thanks for sharing. Neat color variations in those coyotes.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 01:30 AM

Yea coyotesoldier you never know what color you're gonna get around here

Forestman that is part of a deer I had wired to that crabapple tree and fixed it almost like a bobcat cubby but not as much blocking

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 01:32 AM

And yea forestman I am using wax dirt and peat moss and had pretty good luck. We are getting another 1-2" of rain tonight and tomorrow, then Friday the low is 13°, so it's been tough keeping stuff working
Posted By: ol mike

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 03:05 AM

LIKE ! ! !

RM trapper you're slaying them - great job and pictures .

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 08:39 PM

Well we had 30mph winds all night with gust over 50mph, and also got over an inch of rain so I didn't expect much. But pulled up on the 2nd farm and had a dandy male in a dirthole(more like a waterhole). He's all wet and muddy in the pics so it's hard to tell but he was 42# and had good fur. Probably one of the best of season [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
His foot was buried in my mb550

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/13/20 08:40 PM

Here's a pic of the sunrise from the same farm yesterday [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/14/20 06:42 PM

After catching the big male yesterday in horrible conditions, I kinda had high hopes for this morning's check, but unfortunately two sets got worked over good but the peat moss had soaked up all the rain a froze over night when the temps dropped in the teens. So I redone all my sets and tonight's low is 12 and clear so hopefully they'll be back on the move. Here's a pic of the snow capped mountains this morning [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/17/20 11:36 PM

Well I had a nice surprise this morning, on the same farm I had caught the other two red ones I caught another. I've caught6 off this farm now, 3 were males all were regular colored and then the 3 females which were all red. Good thing was it been president's day I got to take my oldest son and his buddy, so they enjoyed it [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/18/20 12:31 AM

To cool!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/18/20 12:40 AM

Do you ever get any odd colors in Kansas flinthill?

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/18/20 12:57 AM

A very rare occasion I get a (dark) not black yote. Caught two this yr but aren't dark enough to be neat just ugly.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/18/20 01:44 AM

Great thread. That is some nice looking country!

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/18/20 02:06 AM

Thanks MThunter

I didn't figure you got many off colored ones in Kansas flint hill

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/20/20 06:33 PM

I had a good check this morning, had a snowstorm coming in this morning so the critters were moving last night. Only had 8 sets put but had two coyotes and two big boar coon. One of the coyotes was a big female and the other a small young male [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That was #24 and #25

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/20/20 06:35 PM

Been getting great full pad catches all season with 90% of them the toes were on the pan. But both of these were toe caught

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 07:06 PM

Had a good check this morning, I had two nice females. One was in a dirthole set and the other was in a compass set [Linked Image]#26
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tommie

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 07:24 PM

Are your coyotes still looking good this late? There places I trap my started breaking down about a month ago .

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 07:53 PM

Yea about all of them are still in decent shape, I've caught a few the past two weeks that are rubbed some and starting to break. But for the most part They look pretty good. I don't get to start trapping til the second week of January so I usually keep traps out until the end of Feb. Gonna try to get a few more and hit the 30 mark before this weekend
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 08:49 PM

Sure has been nice to read about a guy trapping on here, go for 30.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 08:52 PM

I'm going to try fishdog, it's only my 4th year coyote trapping and it would be nice to hit the #30. Going to start earlier next season on a couple farms that don't get deer hunted or bear hunted and try to get 50

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 09:09 PM

I also put a trailcam on the compass set that I caught the female in this morning, for some reason it didn't take any pics of the catch, or any nighttime pics for that matter but did get some right before I got there
Posted By: Tommie

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/23/20 11:37 PM

Good luck , I pulled mine 4 weeks ago been trying to get beaver traps in but no luck every time I try to go the rain puts a stop to it . They are calling for a another 1 1/2” tonight and tomorrow. Last time I look we had had 19” since January 1st.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/24/20 12:26 AM

Yea it's been a wet year so far. Here's a trailcam pic of the one I caught in the compass set [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/24/20 12:38 AM

Thanks RM, like I said before, that sure looks like nice country. Reminds me of back in central NYS.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/27/20 08:34 PM

Well season ends this weekend and i still have a few traps out, caught # 28 today so maybe I'll hit 30 before this weekend [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/29/20 07:18 PM

Well I'm going to pull my traps tomorrow or Monday morning, I caught #29 today and it was a small female that was rubbed a bit. Also missed a couple at a different location, we had about 4" of snow overnight and they moved well. Maybe I can get #30 tonight [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/29/20 07:31 PM

You are keeping busy
Good job and hoping for # 30

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/29/20 08:11 PM

Have you put any steel in the ground since moving to Tenn scuba?

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 02/29/20 08:16 PM

Nope I have not had the time but have heard some longdogs not to far away and saw some sign on a couple of my tracks on the property. The neighbor has chickens so I'll trying to put a hurting on those chicken thieves at some point. Have to buy some traps as coyotes are a first for me I'll also have to have a read up on the rules here concerning traps and wires as I am more of a wire guy than footholds. But I'll learn. I like a challenge

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 01:30 AM

Well I was able to hit #30 today, gonna pull all my sets in the morning [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 01:59 AM

Nice catch and congrats to a great season! We expect a nice barn shot now with them furs wink

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 02:09 AM

Thanks. Still have several in the freezer to get worked up

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 02:22 AM

RM I have followed your journey from the start Your title 2020 Appalachian 2020 mountains trap line caught my eye .I have spent many hours in the Appalachians of W VA hunting deer They have a way of making you return time after time . You did a good job of trapping throughout the year and dealing with the weather changes that always happen And I think you did even better showing and teaching the things you encountered . I like to have goals as you do .I find that the number is not so important .But having a number in mind helps to keep you going when things go bad or just slow down for a day or so.Good job

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 02:45 AM

Thanks west side. I'm going to try to actually start sooner next season instead of waiting til Jan. I enjoyed every minute of it and my kids have too. It's amazing how much my boys (8, 9yr old) have learned. They are recognizing sign and picking good spots for sets now. Probably the most rewarding was taking my 9yr olds best friend who had never been and getting him so interested that he talked his father into buying a half dozen traps and putting them out on their 200 acres and after two weeks they caught their first coyote today. Now they are hooked, here's a pic of their first catch [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/02/20 10:20 AM

That is the icing on the cake for a really great season for you .The way to keep trapping alive is show others how much fun it is and how much skill it takes Fine job

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/03/20 04:22 PM

Well I pulled all my traps except four sets I left out on my friends property, his 76 yr old dad has been checking them for me and he has really enjoyed it. Said it gave him a reason to look forward to the morning. We'd caught 5 off the farm so far but I hadn't been up there in 12 days to rebait or lure anything and was planning on doing that today. To my surprise he called this morning and said we had a big one. It's amazing that they still worked the dirthole after 12 days of rain and snow. Biggest coyote I've caught this year. 47# [Linked Image]

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/06/20 01:01 AM

Well im done for the season except I left 5 sets out on my buddies hunting property for and this morning he called and I had connected on two coyotes out of the 5 traps so that put me at #33. One surprisingly was still furred nice but the other was a mangy looking dog [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/06/20 01:10 AM

Thanks for the ride along.
Looks like you had a great season.
Nice country you trap in,RM.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/06/20 01:35 AM

My bet is your boys aren't going to let you wait until January to start trapping.

Trapped very similar country when I lived in Boone, NC. I second the thanks for the ride along.

Re: My 2020 Appalachian mountains mini trapline - 03/06/20 02:03 AM

Appreciate it gray dog and boco. I'm still learning everytime out, and the kids are already talking about next year. They are wanting to hit the bobcats hard next season after giving them a pass this year. Gray dog I'm only 40 minutes from Boone
© 2024 Trapperman Forums