Home

Chest full of comics

Posted By: James

Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 09:46 AM

It's funny how feverish your thoughts can get when you're sick.

I just thought of my chest full of old comic books down in the crawlspace. Why don't i do something about them?

The chest has a bunch of old comics, mostly Marvels, Spiderman (some really early ones), Thor, F-4, Conan #1, and others. Some DCs, Batman and Superman. Some other brands, Archies, and even some Herbies (remember Herbie?) Some have covers, some don't; some dog-eared or creased. These books were read, numerous times.

So how do I find out how much they're worth, and how much it's going to cost me to get rid of them? My kids have shown no interest in them, and grandkids will probably have the same reaction, so they're meant for a collector of old non-mint comics, I think.

I posted here about my comics chest about 12-15 years ago, and the only useful advice i recall was to use eBay. But I don't like eBay. Got ripped off one two many times there.

Jim
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 09:50 AM

leave them in the crawl space. Are you from Parma?
https://svengoolie.com/
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 10:08 AM

The dog eared, coverless ones aren't going to be worth much unless they're really rare. That doesn't mean they don't have value and for you to burn, or throw them away.

Comic book snobs really only want the ones that are pristine. I have a friend who won't buy a comic book if it's been opened. If you go to a comic book store they usually have books in plastic sleeves, and others that are there to peruse through.. They are done that way for snobs.

I'm not sure what your comic book store scene is like in Alaska, but if you can get them to a reputable one they should be able to give you a general value on them.

I would catalogue them before taking them in just to be on the safe side. Because if you have a bunch they'll need to keep them for a little while to get values.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 11:39 AM

An auction is about your only choice. Around here they charge 25-40%. Make sure they advertise them early. I saw some beat up ones get good coin in my mind.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 11:52 AM

Give them to Nancy and Hilary.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

No, Bernies house of comics might be better!
Posted By: Finster

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by James
It's funny how feverish your thoughts can get when you're sick.

I just thought of my chest full of old comic books down in the crawlspace. Why don't i do something about them?

The chest has a bunch of old comics, mostly Marvels, Spiderman (some really early ones), Thor, F-4, Conan #1, and others. Some DCs, Batman and Superman. Some other brands, Archies, and even some Herbies (remember Herbie?) Some have covers, some don't; some dog-eared or creased. These books were read, numerous times.

So how do I find out how much they're worth, and how much it's going to cost me to get rid of them? My kids have shown no interest in them, and grandkids will probably have the same reaction, so they're meant for a collector of old non-mint comics, I think.

I posted here about my comics chest about 12-15 years ago, and the only useful advice i recall was to use eBay. But I don't like eBay. Got ripped off one two many times there.

Jim

But...but....but...but.... James, if you sell or get rid of your comic books, where will you ever get your facts and statistics from?

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 01:58 PM

whistle
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 05:24 PM

I'm reminded of one of my older brothers chest full of comics (I was forbidden to mess with them as he kept the chest padlocked). While he was off getting educated on the east coast one of my sister-n-laws who was staying at the farmhouse opened the chest, found all the comics and took them to the county landfill.

These were comics he had collected since the early 50's. You say it....I can't.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 06:06 PM

Niche market, may research some websites and forums that focus on comics/pulp fiction and hope for a classified page etc. Passionate collectors love a bulk buy.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 06:16 PM

You don't have to like ebay or sell on it, but if you want to find what it may bring look there.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/23/20 07:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing. You could do a search for some of the comics you have on ebay. It should give you an idea of what you should be asking for them.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/24/20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

No, that's coloring books those two old broads use!
Jim, maybe if you all have one of the comic con shows up there you may find some interest.
Posted By: James

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/24/20 05:27 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I thought about checking eBay for prices, but I don't want to sell off the books one-by-one. I'd rather unload the whole chest.

If I was within driving distance of one of the comic conventions, I'd load up the chest and go.

Maybe I'll see if my grandkids have any interest in selling them off.

Am I really the only one who remembers Herbie the Fat Fury? https://herbiepopnecker.com

Jim
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/24/20 11:56 AM

Bring them to a nearby comic book store. They'll grade them and possibly make an offer which should be around 1/2 of guide price.
If you're feeling enthusiastic, you can pick up an overstreet guide (if they still sell.those) and grade and price yourself.

Condition plays a huge role and most comics bought off of racks were never mint/near mint to begin with
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/24/20 12:14 PM

If you have all them books,,and other folks have none,you should give some to them folks.Thats what Bernie and that tribe would think is right.

Re: Chest full of comics - 01/24/20 01:44 PM

Herbie and the fat fury.... you're it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums