Home

Colorado wolves

Posted By: BernieB.

Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 01:11 PM

It's hard to believe this is actually a thing, a ballot initiative to do something that the state biologists are against and flies in the face of common sense. If you are from Colorado you need to spread this video to everyone you know.

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 01:22 PM

Unreal
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 03:31 PM

This is what happens when people that have no knowledge of a subject and don't know what they don't know,have a vote.Thanks,Bernie.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Unreal

X2
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:12 PM

Make no mistake about it- it's driven by animal rights groups trying to reduce ungulate populations. Thy have a long range goal of getting people to stop hunting, and they will if there is nothing to hunt. Once participation drops off, then easy to win at the ballot box.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:12 PM

There is a rancher in NW Colorado where I used to hunt elk. He owns over 10,000 acres where he free-ranges over 1,000 head of beef cattle. He has enough problems with coyotes and new-born calves. I'm sure he just love to see wolves added to the problem.

These wolf lovers walk around with blinders on. They could care less about the problems introducing wolves would cause. To them, wolves are above all matters of importance and reason. I know this because I've been to meetings involving whether wolves should be delisted or not.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:15 PM

Another classic case of ignoring science , facts , experts, data, and boots on the ground.

People are being lead to things by emotions and outside money. Sad.
Posted By: nt2

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:16 PM

More Ballot Box Biology from the great state of Colorado.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nt2
More Ballot Box Biology from the great state of Colorado.

Isnt that Sad...but the Truth
Posted By: elkantlers

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 04:57 PM

I'm usually very against breaking the law, But I would think if this forced reintroduction goes forward there needs to be an out break of SSS.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 05:00 PM

Another good reason why I did not stay in Colorado!

Scott
Posted By: red mt

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Make no mistake about it- it's driven by animal rights groups trying to reduce ungulate populations. Thy have a long range goal of getting people to stop hunting, and they will if there is nothing to hunt. Once participation drops off, then easy to win at the ballot box.

Exactly SPOT ON

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ScottPhillips
Another good reason why I did not stay in Colorado!

Scott

Trouble is Scott it's not the only place they will push intruduction of critters
Imo it spread to other states
A war is one won one battle at a time.
Posted By: Beavertrapper24

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 06:21 PM

That was a interesting watch, while I would love to see more wolves back out on the landscapes that we wiped them off of I also have a deep respect for the wildlife biologists and state game depts. and the jobs they do so if CPW says it's not a good idea then they should not try and over rule them
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 06:26 PM

I wonder when the wolf way over goals in the great lakes states is going off protected status?
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 06:32 PM

Good people work for the CPW, but their hands sound like they are tied!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 06:36 PM

IF you are not going to follow the data from known wildlife biologist and researchers that work for the State, you might as well get rid of them. Just another Red State.

*Vote*
Posted By: white17

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 07:00 PM

IF..BIG IF...........Colorado can overcome this move , then what is needed is for all the consumptive wildlife users and the ranchers to pressure the legislature to remove the ability to decide wildlife management issues by popular vote.

That is what we finally had to do here when we were beset with the wolf wars in the 1990's.

There are groups like ATA that would be willing to help.

It's going to be tough to overcome the millennials and dopers in Denver & Boulder but it's the only hope. CO may be too far down the Blue slope to ever recover.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 07:04 PM

I like having wolves on my trapline and being able to manage them.
Posted By: white17

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 07:11 PM

Same here !

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 07:48 PM

Trouble is I do not see Colorado able to manage wolves once established.
The blue slope is going to be the hurdle.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 08:31 PM

They didn't manage the otters either when they dumped them in the waterways, can't begin to tell you how that has ended up!!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 08:34 PM

Traps and snares already being illegal in Colorado, wonder how they would be managed?
Colorado has the best elk population of any state, which brings in a lot of $$$ from resident and nonresident sportsmen every year. Turn wolves loose and see what happens to the elk population in a few years. They will likely find their way down from Wyoming on their own without any help from the animal activists.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Traps and snares already being illegal in Colorado, wonder how they would be managed?
Colorado has the best elk population of any state, which brings in a lot of $$$ from resident and nonresident sportsmen every year. Turn wolves loose and see what happens to the elk population in a few years. They will likely find their way down from Wyoming on their own without any help from the animal activists.

It will be a Royal Mess!
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 08:41 PM

Colorado is well within their natural range and should have a managed population just like everywhere else. The problem arises when they are protected well beyond what they are supposed to be. The ESA needs to be reformed to stop its blatant abuse by animal rights groups.
Posted By: elkantlers

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Have you seen Colorado's trapping laws?

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 10:15 PM

When wolves find their way within the Denver Metro's 5 million people population there's gonna be some upset doggie owners.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 10:16 PM

I though you live free and die hard types were not scared of nothing. But try and get some wolves back where they belong and your all scared and crying. Give a wolf a chance, bring wilderness back to Colorado. Everything can't be easy. You Americans are so soft its embarrassing the liberals are doing a better job of Making America Great Again then you. Adversity is the tool that makes a nation great and wolves are adversity.

Having said that two packs of wolves went down my traplines yesterday and scared all the lynx out. I'm really mad about it, But I'm Canadian Trudeu does not want to make me great again.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
I though you live free and die hard types were not scared of nothing. But try and get some wolves back where they belong and your all scared and crying. Give a wolf a chance, bring wilderness back to Colorado. Everything can't be easy. You Americans are so soft its embarrassing the liberals are doing a better job of Making America Great Again then you. Adversity is the tool that makes a nation great and wolves are adversity.

Having said that two packs of wolves went down my traplines yesterday and scared all the lynx out. I'm really mad about it, But I'm Canadian Trudeu does not want to make me great again.

You have entirely missed the point.
Having wolves isn't the problem. Being able to manage them is the problem. Have you ever heard of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming? Educate yourself about the wolves there. And Idaho. And Minnesota. And Michigan. And. And. And.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 10:32 PM

For a group with as deep of pockets as RMEF, it’s a bit sad they couldn’t use more footage of Colorado. I think over half of the scenery was from areas that are clearly not CO.

But yes, ballot-box biology has to end otherwise the good efforts done by anglers, hunters and trappers over the last century will slowly be eroded and eventually forgotten.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 10:45 PM

While it's old news, it's not dead........here's another hair-brained idea cooking in Colorado.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/environ...green-river-water-from-utah-to-colorado/

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

You have entirely missed the point.
Having wolves isn't the problem. Being able to manage them is the problem. Have you ever heard of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming? Educate yourself about the wolves there. And Idaho. And Minnesota. And Michigan. And. And. And.

Missed the point is Right. Give Him a Trapline where Wolves are 100% off limits!!
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 11:25 PM

Yep...wolves are already in Colorado...

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/23/20 11:57 PM

I don't think I missed the point. You don't want competition, wolves will make hunting harder. Ranchers will have to work a little harder, maybe employ an extra person or two. Wolves belong in wild Colorado, hunting will get a little more challenging but that's why its called hunting and not shopping. If only the hippies would work with you guys to come to an amicable compromise where wolves could return to Wild Colorado and but once there are sustainable numbers sportsman are allowed to manage them.

I wonder how much of that wolf money the video quoted was spent on lawyers and legal experts? I bet 50% minimum.

in the NWT the government pays us $200.00 for wolf samples and $400.00 for the hide.

In the Caribou management zone near the diamond mines the wolf incentive is close to $1300.00.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 12:01 AM

Not One of Us would Care. At all.... if they were Trappable or huntable !
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 12:10 AM

I don't think I missed the point. You don't want competition, wolves will make hunting harder. Ranchers will have to work a little harder, maybe employ an extra person or two. Wolves belong in wild Colorado, hunting will get a little more challenging but that's why its called hunting and not shopping. If only the hippies would work with you guys to come to an amicable compromise where wolves could return to Wild Colorado and but once there are sustainable numbers sportsman are allowed to manage them.

I wonder how much of that wolf money the video quoted was spent on lawyers and legal experts? I bet 50% minimum.

in the NWT the government pays us $200.00 for wolf samples and $400.00 for the hide.

In the Caribou management zone near the diamond mines the wolf incentive is close to $1300.00.

I don't know what to say about anything you've said about this situation,except you live in a different world than we do.
Posted By: Ole

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 12:18 AM

This video is one of the best objective videos I have seen. It's not full of conspiracy theories. There is a lot of science here. I agree that ballot box is not the way to manage wildlife but some state legislature's do that anyway. Just reality. I don't think the introduction in Idaho is nearly the travesty many people projected, but I'm not a cattle or sheep man. It sounds like wolves are reintroducing themselves anyway.
Posted By: Born

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 12:31 AM

Deer hunter numbers are on the decline in MN. Down 11.5 percent from all time high 2012 (521,991 license sold)
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Born

Deer hunter numbers are on the decline in MN. Down 11.5 percent from all time high 2012 (521,991 license sold)

That's not the fault of wolves. Deer hunter numbers are down everywhere, even in states without wolves.
Posted By: Born

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 01:19 AM

Don't put words in my mouth.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 02:06 AM

Thank you RMEF!!!!!!! That was money well spent, especially for the long term.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 03:09 AM

Obviously you have not been paying attention about the laws in Colorado banning furbearer management in the state of Colorado..........lost in space.

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

Obviously you have not been paying attention about the laws in Colorado banning furbearer management in the state of Colorado..........lost in space.

That FUR BAN is very IMPORTANT to ALL TRAPPERS ,,, it will be coming to state near you if this passes . Imo

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 05:18 AM

That sucks, no fur bearer management. How do you guys let stuff like that happen. Sleeping at the wheel? Why did you bother concerring Colarado to totally wimp it out.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

That would be great if that were the outcome, but the track record in other states does not support that.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Colorado wolves - 01/24/20 04:07 PM

That sucks, no fur bearer management. How do you guys let stuff like that happen. Sleeping at the wheel? Why did you bother concerring Colarado to totally wimp it out.

That happened 24 years ago. READ MORE.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums